Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Site promises not kept  (Read 5591 times)

Farmer

Re: Site promises not kept
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 01:08:43 am »

this thread seems to have wandered far off topic ...

Well, I think the original premise was unsupported.
Phil Brown

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 03:52:20 am »

this thread seems to have wandered far off topic ...

Just as well, really. It wasn't a pleasant topic.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 06:18:01 am »

Jeremy

Pleasant or not, Jeremy, the OP hits a sore spot.

Why would you expect pleasant to feature large in photography? It's a somewhat fraught business (and hobby) with all sorts of unexpected wallet-breakers lurking round the corner.

A quick look in the Internet will soon reveal all manner of hucksters, frauds and vendors of new-best-thing snake oils. It seems to me that the prime purpse of much of the photographic Internet is to shift goods and "services" of greater or lesser merit. Along the way, a few vanity sites still exist to keep the faithful looking, dreaming and spending.

Rob

Jeff

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 06:47:25 am »

Jeremy
I do not see what was not pleasant about this topic.

The OP made an observation to which Kevin Raber has responded.

In another topic a question has also been asked to what happened to the Capture One Pro tutorial update that had been suggested was coming this year.

Farmer

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 06:57:29 am »

It wasn't pleasant because of how it was presented.  The OP could have titled it "Any update on..." and then asked a question.  As it happens, numerous of the items claimed to have been ignored had, in fact, been done.

Too many people start with a complaint instead of a question.
Phil Brown

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 07:48:46 am »

It wasn't pleasant because of how it was presented.  The OP could have titled it "Any update on..." and then asked a question.  As it happens, numerous of the items claimed to have been ignored had, in fact, been done.

Too many people start with a complaint instead of a question.
Phil is right.  This site has always provided a lot of very good information over the years.  One may quibble about the equipment that is reviewed but that's secondary to some of us who have investments in camera and printing equipment and are not in any position to purchase new stuff.  The forums, particularly the color management and printing ones, are a great place to ask and answer questions.  Many of us have occasionally been stuck on some technical point, posted a question, and received a very good answer(s) within a couple of hours.  Such is the value of the Internet.  As always, those who do not find value here are free to walk away and nobody will complain.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 09:34:06 am »

Phil is right.  This site has always provided a lot of very good information over the years.  One may quibble about the equipment that is reviewed but that's secondary to some of us who have investments in camera and printing equipment and are not in any position to purchase new stuff.  The forums, particularly the color management and printing ones, are a great place to ask and answer questions.  Many of us have occasionally been stuck on some technical point, posted a question, and received a very good answer(s) within a couple of hours.  Such is the value of the Internet.  As always, those who do not find value here are free to walk away and nobody will complain.

Alan, whilst absolutely true, that all sounds like a rebuttal to something the guy didn't write in his opening post.

Rob

Rand47

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2018, 01:09:56 pm »

Well, the Fuji X-H1 got completely ignored - as it did generally - especially with Sony’s wunderkind A7III photo-toaster release. 

I find it odd.  While the H-1 certainly isn’t revolutionary in any of its details, it turns out to be the finest camera I’ve ever had my hands on from a “user experience” perspective.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 02:03:06 pm »

There is an XH-1 story just about ready for publishing.  Not so much a review as user experience.  It includes a video of my use photographing in Chicago as well as images made with it.  There are a few other gear things coming.  The C1 tutorials are still panned but may wait for C1 12.  there were challenges getting all parties together at the same time.  The new Shooting With The Master's video will hopefully be shot before years end.   It's interesting, when I go gear heavy I get people say they don't want to read about gear.  When I don't do gear I hear the opposite.  So, we will be doing some nice balancing going forward.  We are also doing a number of videos to go with the articles.  Right now I have a serious backlog in writing.  Hard to do when i am also running workshops and other site matters.  I do think we put a nice balance of content out there and don't know any other site that does it the way we do.

I am always open for anyone who wants to contribute articles, reviews etc.  Anyone can always reach me by email or PM if they have any questions.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rado

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 03:44:37 pm »

Personally I couldn't care less about gear reviews on LULA, the internet is full of those if one really wants it. What the internet isn't full of is the other content LULA provides. So I'm very happy to hear about a new shooting with the masters series. More about picture-making-process and less about picture-recording-gadgets please.

BJL

Site promises not kept: hands-on reviews are what some of us want from LuLa
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 06:04:20 pm »

Thanks Kevin, but these are hands-on reviews, ...
Hands-on reviews by an experienced and talented photographer are what sets Luminous Landscape apart from many review sites. For detailed discussions of numbers, graphs and test shots, there are sources like DPReview, DXOmark, and some posters in the forums here.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2018, 12:34:24 pm »

There is an XH-1 story just about ready for publishing.  Not so much a review as user experience.  It includes a video of my use photographing in Chicago as well as images made with it.  There are a few other gear things coming.  The C1 tutorials are still panned but may wait for C1 12.  there were challenges getting all parties together at the same time.  The new Shooting With The Master's video will hopefully be shot before years end.   It's interesting, when I go gear heavy I get people say they don't want to read about gear.  When I don't do gear I hear the opposite.  So, we will be doing some nice balancing going forward.  We are also doing a number of videos to go with the articles.  Right now I have a serious backlog in writing.  Hard to do when i am also running workshops and other site matters.  I do think we put a nice balance of content out there and don't know any other site that does it the way we do.

I am always open for anyone who wants to contribute articles, reviews etc.  Anyone can always reach me by email or PM if they have any questions.

I'm in agreement with Rand about the X-H1 being the finest camera I've ever used, "in-hand"; I've been waiting almost 6 months for a review from Kevin, with nothing other than a short blurb that is mostly a post-processing article in C1 published to date.

As its seems that Kevin has too much on his plate to write an X-H1 review, Kevin, if you want a review of the X-H1 from a real-world perspective (not a re-hash of specs) and in a fully professional use-context, I'll write one. If you have anything other content that would be value-added and/or provide additional insights or context, you can add that when you have time.  I have experience writing and had a 3-part review of the Fujifilm GFX50S published at The Online Photographer.

Fujifiilm GFX50S Part I

Fujifilm GFX50S Part II

Fujifilm GFX50 Part III

Kevin, see my PM for contact info and terms.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up