Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Which filter system should I buy into? Nisi/Lee  (Read 6744 times)

danielblom

Which filter system should I buy into? Nisi/Lee
« on: July 20, 2018, 02:40:00 pm »

So I’m looking to buy a more serious filter system than the cokin that I currently have. Was reading good things about the Nisi glass and their solution with their “internal” polarizing filter. Then I saw the Lee universal hood. Both would really come in handy since I do a lot of shooting with the pola for automotive work and often struggle with flares. Anyone know if they’re compatible?
Occasionally need to use ND in addition to the Pola, so need to be able to fit both.

Thanks in advance!

Rand47

Re: Which filter system should I buy into? Nisi/Lee
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 11:42:08 am »

So I’m looking to buy a more serious filter system than the cokin that I currently have. Was reading good things about the Nisi glass and their solution with their “internal” polarizing filter. Then I saw the Lee universal hood. Both would really come in handy since I do a lot of shooting with the pola for automotive work and often struggle with flares. Anyone know if they’re compatible?
Occasionally need to use ND in addition to the Pola, so need to be able to fit both.

Thanks in advance!

Check out Wine Country Camera’s filter system and filters, too.  Best I’ve used to date.  Their filter vault system makes handling and adjusting much easier than with other systems I’ve owned.

http://www.winecountry.camera

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

danielblom

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 11:55:18 am »

Thanks Rand

Looks really nice but... They don’t seem to have that great of a solution for the polarization filter, and no hood.. the search goes on..

Check out Wine Country Camera’s filter system and filters, too.  Best I’ve used to date.  Their filter vault system makes handling and adjusting much easier than with other systems I’ve owned.

Rand

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 12:40:23 pm »

I actually have both, I find the Lee with the polarizer on the outside of the frame is a little more difficult to use than the Nisi with the polarizer closest to the lens, I like the little wheel to rotate the polarizer on the Nisi. The Nisi system is a little better built I think, I certainly like their filters, they are very good. I have had color cast issues with my older Lee's but not with the Nisi. If I was going to start from scratch I would probably go with the Nisi, but both are good systems and usable. As to filters you can use anyones filters that will fit the holder. So to me the real question is the system to hold them. Nisi includes the polarizer and several adapter rings, and the main ring is set for 82mm thread size so you do not need an adapter for 82mm. The Lee is all separate purchases and a little more money at least last time I bought anything for them. If you have other questions about them let me know.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Cornfield

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 06:55:56 am »

NiSi is an excellent choice.  Quality products very well packed in the individual slip-in cases or the well-produced compartment boxes.

I was pleased to see Alan's ND test confirm the neutral colour I experience using the 10 stop.

danielblom

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 10:55:26 am »

Ended up with Nisi holder and going to mix some Lee and Nisi NDs, thanks for your input guys!

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 02:36:55 pm »

Thanks Rand

Looks really nice but... They don’t seem to have that great of a solution for the polarization filter, and no hood.. the search goes on..
Really? I thought their polarizer solution was pretty sweet ... it's built into the filter and adjust with a wheel on the outside of the holder.

As far as a shade, I would agree, but not too hard to rig one up.

But in it's basic form it's just a nice way to hold the filters, makes adjusting ND grads easy.  You can put any brands standard filters into the vaults.

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:01:40 pm »

Really? I thought their polarizer solution was pretty sweet ... it's built into the filter and adjust with a wheel on the outside of the holder.

As far as a shade, I would agree, but not too hard to rig one up.

But in it's basic form it's just a nice way to hold the filters, makes adjusting ND grads easy.  You can put any brands standard filters into the vaults.

Exactly . . .  the polarizer on the WC system is far and away the easiest I’ve ever used.  Big red knob that rotates the filter.  Very easy to make adjustments, even with gloves on.  As for the lack of a hood, I had a Lee system with hood and the hood was mostly useless.  I use a sheet (12x12” x 1/4” thick approx) of semi-rigid polyethylene foam that came as packing material on something I bought a few years ago.  It slides into my bag in the “tablet” pocket, weights nothing, is indestructible and is adjustable using a Plamp clamp.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Ivophoto

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 07:02:14 am »

Thanks in advance!

I went for Formatt Hitec Firecrest. I think they are the only photofilter manufacturer who delivers real neutral ND. At least in the big stopper range.

welly

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 05:45:42 am »

Rand

That Wine Country filter system looks absolutely amazing. But the price... how I wish I got paid for taking photographs.  :-\

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 04:03:03 pm »

Has anyone used the Breakthrough Photography system with the magnetic adapter?

Scott Hein

• Hein Natural History Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2018, 11:43:35 am »

Has anyone used the Breakthrough Photography system with the magnetic adapter?

I recently purchased the 6-stop ND and CPL magnetic filters along with magnetic adapter rings.  When I am shooting long exposures using a ND filter, I like to compose and check metering without the ND in place, and then add the ND and adjust/make the exposure.  The magnetic filter design works really well for this.  The filter snaps into place easily and securely, and there is a ridge on the edge of the filter that allows you to get a fingernail underneath to remove the filter easily.  I found this design to be preferable to the Lee square filter holder, which requires more attention to alignment when attaching the filter holder to the adapter ring (I'm always afraid that I will accidentally mis-attach the holder and have it fall off onto the rocks or river below...)

The CPL is a different story at this point.  I found that once I had snapped the CPL into the magnetic adapter ring, it was very difficult to rotate the filter smoothly.  Breakthrough has a magnetic adapter "wheel" in the works that should address this issue.  It looks like the wheel design will only be available in 77 and 82mm initially, but fortunately those are the two sizes I need.  The pricing on both the adapter rings and wheels is very reasonable - $12, and $24, respectively.

The filter quality is excellent - very neutral and sharp (at least the ND - I haven't used the CPL much yet because of the problems cited above), and the magnetic design works quite well for my style of shooting.  However, you can't stack magnetic filters (but you can attach their X100 holder for square/rectangular filters), and there is no provision for a lens hood.  Those are likely going to be issues for some.

-Scott
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 10:08:49 pm by Scott Hein »

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2018, 01:05:15 pm »

Thanks, Scott. The “magnetic wheel” was slated for release at the end of July. Will check with them.

Scott Hein

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2018, 04:02:06 pm »

Thanks, Scott. The “magnetic wheel” was slated for release at the end of July. Will check with them.
They are now saying "early fall", but you can pre-order them from their web store.

-Scott

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Rand47

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 10:27:55 am »

I just watched the demo video on the magnetic mounting system.  I’m really impressed.  It probably won’t be long until the other major players are adopting something like this.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 12:12:46 pm »

I have the lee system but I probably wouldn't buy it again. I have a lot of problems with flare when I use the polarizer (maybe due to the big air gap in front?) and the adapter rings are very pricy for what they are.

I'm actually considering replacing it. Breakthrough's magnetic systems looks pretty interesting but I've seen forum reports of vignetting at 16mm, something that the manufacturer claimed wouldn't happen. Nisi is also a possibility, but it seems like screwing on the filter adapter rings would be too fiddly. Winecountry is too bulky.

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 10:26:05 pm »

They are now saying "early fall", but you can pre-order them from their web store.

-Scott

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

I received the newly designed 77mm magnetic wheel today. The 82mm version is still pending.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 08:19:01 am »

I just received the Wine Country filter system a couple of weeks ago. I got the complete set with 3, 6, and 10x ND filters, graduated ND, POL, etc. On the one hand, it was breathtakingly expensive -- $1100 for some filters? On the other hand, I've spent tens of thousands on cameras, lenses, etc. -- heck, I spent more than that on my tripod. And if I add up all the money I spent on filters over the years, it would be depressing.

So, my initial impressions are quite positive. I love the polarizer with its big wooden wheel for easy rotation while set up. I love the "filter frames" which mean I never have to touch the glass filters. The filters themselves seem well made. I hate the cheapo filter case that came with the kit, it's flimsy and doesn't appear to offer any protection at all for the expensive glass filters, so I ordered the Mindshift Filter Hive, which is far superior. (For the price, the Filter Hive should be standard in this kit.)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Scott Hein

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 01:52:25 pm »

I received the newly designed 77mm magnetic wheel today. The 82mm version is still pending.

Yes, I have also received the 77mm magnetic wheel.  It addresses the issue I was having rotating the CPL with the standard magnetic adapter ring.

-Scott

Lee Roberts

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 08:26:58 pm »

I have the lee system but I probably wouldn't buy it again. I have a lot of problems with flare when I use the polarizer (maybe due to the big air gap in front?) and the adapter rings are very pricy for what they are.

I'm actually considering replacing it. Breakthrough's magnetic systems looks pretty interesting but I've seen forum reports of vignetting at 16mm, something that the manufacturer claimed wouldn't happen. Nisi is also a possibility, but it seems like screwing on the filter adapter rings would be too fiddly. Winecountry is too bulky.

Fellow San Diegan here, but that's not why I'm asking you this question though. Haha just noticed when I saw your site link on the bottom of your comment. Anyway, which Lee filter system are you using? The 100mm? I had it before (never used with polarizer) but actually currently using the Haida 150mm setup with my Tamron 15-30mm.

The Haida 10 stop ND is awesome -- and this isn't even the NanoPro version. The Tamron lens adapter is a nice design that fits great...but the filter holder itself is a slightly inferior product, from what I've heard, to the rival SW150 Mark II (filter holder). It's not terrible, but from what I remember about the Lee 100mm filter holder I used to own, multiple filters were much easier to insert and remove compared to this Haida, which always seems like something is going to break from having to force in filters
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up