Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outboard Graphic Processor for Apple Desktops and Laptops  (Read 1022 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Outboard Graphic Processor for Apple Desktops and Laptops
« on: July 13, 2018, 02:20:26 pm »

This is interesting, albeit a bit odd: Blackmagic, a manufacturer of video equipment, has introduced an outboard graphics processor that connects to its host through a Thunderbolt serial channel.

Joe Towner

Re: Outboard Graphic Processor for Apple Desktops and Laptops
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:38:50 am »

It's an eGPU - same as the SonnetTech ones.  The difference is which chipset is used, Sonnet has Radeon RX 560 & 570's while the BM does the 580's.
t: @PNWMF

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 11:55:35 am »

This is a good move by Plack Magic. So many Resolve users need this. Does anyone know if the GPU is upgradable? (Though at the price point, I’m not sure it has to be.)
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 02:19:17 pm »

I wouldn't purchase one with the idea of upgrading it afterwards.  If you want that flexibility, go for the Sonnet that's designed for it http://www.sonnettech.com/product/egfx-breakaway-box.html
t: @PNWMF

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 10:41:59 pm »

so any idea if adding this to a MacBook Pro would actually benefit Lightroom and Photoshop?  Historically they haven't played with GPU's very well.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:30:04 am »

so any idea if adding this to a MacBook Pro would actually benefit Lightroom and Photoshop?  Historically they haven't played with GPU's very well.

Without seeing any numbers... my guess is that for Lightroom or Photoshop you will see not much benefit... if any... with an eGPU... like this one or with the boxes provided by other manufacturers. Specially if you elect the 560 gpu in the MacBook. The only scenario I see is that you want to drive more 4K/5k monitors (not sure how many extra this setup will allow).

For DaVinci Resolve users, they will see huge benefits. But careful if you are using Final Cut X, right now you need a hack to make it use the eGPU and this disables for the program the usage of the internal one... so less benefit. I suppose this will improve in the future versions now that Apple is going the eGPU way... no sure about premiere.

Anyway... the box is nice, quieter (although in full load the MacBook will make enough noise)... I will prefer to go the route of an Razer eGPU box that allows to upgrade the GPU in the future...

http://dgpfotografia.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up