Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera batteries and USA flights  (Read 1657 times)

David S

Camera batteries and USA flights
« on: July 12, 2018, 05:31:12 pm »

I am planning a cross USA flight on Delta Airlines with carry-on camera batteries.

Has anyone had problems?

Thanks,

Dave S

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Camera batteries and USA flights
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 07:35:27 pm »

You won't have any problems at all but they do all need to be in carry-on luggage and not checked.  Each should have a battery cap so that terminals aren't exposed or else put them in individual baggies.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 05:18:40 pm »

Same here: no problems. I've been on over a dozen flights this year, destinations all across the country, and haven't had security anywhere so much as look in my camera bag (not counting X-ray, of course). I always put spare batteries in small, transparent baggies.

-Dave-

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:06:36 am »

I fly almost every week. No issues with 4 spares for each of two camera systems plus Jackery batteries for my other devices.

As EJ said, just don’t put them in your checked luggage. They should all be with you.

Dave

David S

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:47:14 am »

Many thanks to all,

Dave S

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:13 am »

One important note: if they as’ to gate check your bag, you need to tell them that it contains lithium batteries.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

stever

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 09:43:26 am »

I was recently flying in Australia airlines required ALL batteries in carryon luggage.  From my experience they have no consistent means of enforcing this - yet.  I would not expect the TSA guys in the US opening your bags to know the difference between battery types.

bcooter

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 09:30:48 pm »

One important note: if they as’ to gate check your bag, you need to tell them that it contains lithium batteries.

I've never told them anything and flown a gazilion times, but from day one I gaff tape the battery front to back to make sure the contacts are sealed.

For Vlocks I keep them taped bagged then placed in an airtight pelican case with a slot for each battery.   Only one time did I have an issue on JAL out of Narita.  They called me off the plane and on the walkway took every battery out of the pelican cases and put them in plastic bags and told me to put them onboard.  I tried to explain how the cases were airtight and safer, but folk are folk so they said no, checked the cases and I threw them in the overhead.

IMO

BC

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 12:07:00 pm »

I've never told them anything and flown a gazilion times, but from day one I gaff tape the battery front to back to make sure the contacts are sealed.

For Vlocks I keep them taped bagged then placed in an airtight pelican case with a slot for each battery.   Only one time did I have an issue on JAL out of Narita.  They called me off the plane and on the walkway took every battery out of the pelican cases and put them in plastic bags and told me to put them onboard.  I tried to explain how the cases were airtight and safer, but folk are folk so they said no, checked the cases and I threw them in the overhead.

IMO

BC

I do something very similar—tape the contacts and carry them Pelican cases with Trek Pack dividers. Nothing can come in contact with the battery contacts. Even so, I’ve seen a lithium battery burn, and I don’t want to be in a plane where some flight attendant has gate checked one of those cases into the hold so they can crowd a few more people on.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 12:58:02 pm »

I do something very similar—tape the contacts and carry them Pelican cases with Trek Pack dividers. Nothing can come in contact with the battery contacts. Even so, I’ve seen a lithium battery burn, and I don’t want to be in a plane where some flight attendant has gate checked one of those cases into the hold so they can crowd a few more people on.

They are actually required to announce and ask you if there are any lithium batteries before they issue you a gate check tag in the US.  People just don't pay attention...

bcooter

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 03:17:28 pm »

This link tells most of what you can and cannot carry,
https://support.myunu.com/hc/en-us/articles/221753607-Transportation-Security-Administration-TSA-Requirements-on-airplane-for-batteries
Every airport, every day can be different.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 04:53:23 pm by bcooter »

David S

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 03:24:19 pm »

Not impressed. It seems more chaotic than is necessary.

Dave S

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 05:56:19 pm »

Not impressed. It seems more chaotic than is necessary.

Dave S

Really? The document seems quite clear to me.

David S

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 06:10:02 pm »

Sorry, I didn’t mean the document but just the whole situation in general.

Dave

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 06:38:40 pm »

Sorry, I didn’t mean the document but just the whole situation in general.

Dave

Yeah, if you fly with video gear that requires V-mount or AB mount batteries, it’s a PITA. But if you’ve ever seen a lithium battery burn, you’ll understand why it matters. I had a dewalt 18 volt ignite on a charger in my garage a couple of years ago. Nothing I had was going to put it out. Luckily, it was on a cement floor, so 8 kicked it to the center and let it burn itself out. But it did make an impression.
Pages: [1]   Go Up