Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian asbestos producer says: 'DONALD IS ON OUR SIDE!' (literally)  (Read 4753 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Russian asbestos producer says: 'DONALD IS ON OUR SIDE!' (literally)
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 01:11:11 pm »

I never detected a sense of humor when Russia was the Soviet Union.  Once it collapsed and became Russia again, they got a sense of humor.  Even their women got prettier .   :)
Soviet Women:
https://litci.org/en/the-political-participation-of-women-in-soviet-russia/

Russian Women:
https://www.google.com/search?q=russian+women&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS746US746&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwip48vdhprcAhXNs1kKHU52CxAQ_AUICigB&biw=1536&bih=854#imgrc=BlX0meSKnzWIcM:

Peter McLennan

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2018, 03:00:18 pm »

Can you explain HOW it has nothing to do, please?

I can, but I won't.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2018, 03:17:44 pm »

Trump to Putin in their private meeting: "You know, Vlad, we can laugh all day long about the G7 and NATO meetings – you should have seen their faces! – but this unauthorized, uncompensated use of my image and 'seal of approval' has got to stop. What we need is a licensing deal... "

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2018, 03:54:12 pm »

...but this unauthorized, uncompensated use of my image and 'seal of approval' has got to stop. What we need is a licensing deal... "

Oh goodie...somebody got it!!! Well done!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

Peter McLennan

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2018, 05:50:22 pm »

Thank you!  I'm in the big room all next week.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 11:26:11 pm »

I never detected a sense of humor when Russia was the Soviet Union.  Once it collapsed and became Russia again, they got a sense of humor.  Even their women got prettier .   :)

Actually, Russians had always a good sense of humour and making up many jokes. Maybe even more so before the collapse of Soviet Union. After all, that was their only recourse and revenge when it came to politicians and long queues for bread and toilet paper. I never heard a joke about Lenin, but plenty about Khrushchev.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 01:18:33 am »

Les, we're the Soviet or Russian girls prettier?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2018, 02:19:31 am »

During the Soviet era, I didn't see any Soviet or Russian females in person since they were protected behind the iron curtain. All we could see were the approved and politically correct portraits of babuschkas. No miniskirts or revealing cleavages.

Here is one of a modern Soviet woman which says "Women and Girls - learn male professions, replace men who are on the front lines - Death to German Occupiers". Good graphics.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2018, 02:28:23 am »

And here is one typical Soviet joke:

An American tells a Russian that the United States is so free that he can stand in front of the White House and yell, “To hell with Ronald Reagan.” The Russian replies: “That's nothing special. I can stand in front of the Kremlin and yell, ‘To hell with Ronald Reagan,’ too.”

The modern version is told as: I can now stand in front of Kremlin and yell "To hell with Hillary Clinton”

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2018, 05:41:32 pm »

I'm getting the impression from the responses in this thread that the use of asbestos is OK in some products that don't release fibers into the air.

If this is so, how do they make asbestos so fibers aren't released during the process? Can asbestos be made without having fibers that get into our lungs even during manufacturing?

I've seen so many mesothelioma lawsuits commercials on tv I would ban even the manufacturing of asbestos. We don't need it that bad?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2018, 07:19:56 pm »

Tim, the word is "friable" -  it can be crumbled, pulverized, or reduced to powder by hand pressure.  Certain materials like floor tiles combined asbestos with other material so the asbestos is bonded  So it's particles cannot be easily made airborne to breathe like other asbestos material like asbestos insulation around plumbing piping.  So as this latter "friable" stuff starts breaking up, it's asbestos materials become airborne. 

I thought all asbestos material is illegal to use especially in construction.  However, I just checked google and I was wrong. It's still being used although to a smaller extent.  I recall a few years ago some wall board from China turned out to be high in asbestos.  Construction companies had to remove what they installed.  I don't have time to read this now, but here's wiki article on asbestos.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asbestos#Substitutes_for_asbestos_in_construction

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2018, 10:06:29 pm »

That's all very interesting guys, but was the mob behind the ban or not?
--
Robert

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2018, 08:53:41 am »

That's all very interesting guys, but was the mob behind the ban or not?

They could have been.  Obviously, the mob  wouldn't advertise the fact they were behind it.  Everyone working in construction in NYC like Trump knew the mob was involved heavily in the trades.  Especially back then before Giuliani broke up a lot of the mafia.  After all, all 5 Mafia families were centered in NYC.  Whenever I managed construction, all the abatement contractor workers spoke languages I couldn't recognized.  As long as the work was done and our inspection companies approved the work, I was happy.  I didn't ask too many questions. 

Here's a 1988 NY Times article explaining how the mob ruled 75% of NYC construction trades. 
https://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/30/nyregion/mob-role-in-new-york-construction-depicted.html

Here's a 1995 NY Times article explaining how the mob owned asbestos businesses fronted as minority owned so they could get minority exclusive set aside construction work.
https://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/19/nyregion/12-charged-in-minority-businesses-scheme.html

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2018, 10:03:51 am »

... Here's a 1988 NY Times article explaining how the mob ruled 75% of NYC construction trades...

... Here's a 1995 NY Times article explaining how the mob owned asbestos businesses fronted as minority owned so they could get minority exclusive set aside construction work.

Ah, Alan, shame on you for ruining Robert’s attempt at sarcasm ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up