Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Russian asbestos producer says: 'DONALD IS ON OUR SIDE!' (literally)  (Read 4749 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

So...I suspect the Donald hasn't given permission, but maybe he can complain to Putin when he hooks up next week. But, really?

Seems Trump testified in front of Congress that the whole "asbestos health issue" was started by the mob (that's really what he said).

TRUMP'S FACE STAMPED ON RUSSIAN ASBESTOS PRODUCTS TIED TO PUTIN: 'DONALD IS ON OUR SIDE!'

A Russian asbestos producer is stamping President Donald Trump’s face on pallets of its product showing that he “approved” of the silicate material that has been classified as a known human carcinogen.

Russian mining company Uralasbest, a leading asbestos producer and distributor, posted on Facebook photos of stacks of the product with “Approved by Donald Trump, 45th president of the United States,” late last month, The Guardian

Uralasbest wrote, “Donald is on our side!” and quoted him previously saying that asbestos is “100 percent safe” after application. The company also thanked Trump for backing Scott Pruitt, “who declared that his agency would no longer deal with matters related to side effects potentially caused by asbestos.” reported Wednesday.

Here's the Facebook page with the announcement: ОАО "Ураласбест"

In case you doubt the mob-led conspiracy...

DONALD TRUMP CALLED ASBESTOS POISONING A MOB-LED CONSPIRACY, NOW HIS EPA WON’T EVALUATE ASBESTOS ALREADY IN HOMES

The Environmental Protection Agency will not consider the health risks and impacts of asbestos already in the environment when evaluating the dangers associated with the chemical compound, Scott Pruitt, the agency's head, quietly announced last week. That means asbestos used in tiles, piping and adhesives throughout homes and businesses in the United States will remain largely unchecked and unaccounted for. Nearly 15,000 Americans die each year from asbestos-related diseases, but President Donald Trump has called the substance "100 percent safe, once applied."

In his 1997 book, The Art of the Comeback, Trump argued that the association of the chemical with health risks was part of a mob-created conspiracy. “I believe that the movement against asbestos was led by the mob, because it was often mob-related companies that would do the asbestos removal. Great pressure was put on politicians, and as usual, the politicians relented,” he wrote.

The Trump EPA's decision came in response to new amendments made to the Toxic Substances Control Act in 2016. The additions to the bill mandate that the EPA perform safety reviews of certain chemicals, require testing and public notice of safety info for said chemicals and allow the EPA to ban certain uses of asbestos (previously, the EPA did not have the authority to do so).

In case you doubt Newsweek as fake news, here's a link to the C-SPAN recorded video...
(his comments start at 11:08)

Donald Trump on UN building renovation Hearing 2005

Yep...that's our President...blow up NATO and have your face on asbestos packaging...

"approved by Donald Trump, the 45th President of the united states"
(at least that's what Google translated it as-maybe our Russian speaking members can correct it if it's wrong).

#MAGA?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Russian asbestos producer says: 'DONALD IS ON OUR SIDE!' (literally)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 02:30:37 am »

Asbestos abatement is code required per strict local construction codes.  The federal government does not have to be involved.  It's local enforcement that regulates and monitors it.  The EPA does not have the staff to monitor it and only would duplicate local enforcement if it did.  Layering secondary enforcement is  a waste of effort and time and money.  It would just raise construction costs as contractors would have to file and follow two sets of similar regulations. 

I've been involved in construction my entire adult life.  Strict local construction codes disallow use of any product containing asbestos.  This rule has been on the books for decades since it was found to be hazardous to your health.  There are strict local code requirements that if you do any modification, add-ons, or alterations to existing structures, all materials that have asbestos that are effected by the construction have to be abated under very strict rules of removal before the construction begins. 

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 04:11:07 am »

Trump really is a moron. The US deserves better.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 07:02:53 am »

Wow. It's hard to know what to say.
--
Robert

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 07:25:37 am »

Asbestos abatement is code required per strict local construction codes.  The federal government does not have to be involved.  It's local enforcement that regulates and monitors it.  The EPA does not have the staff to monitor it and only would duplicate local enforcement if it did.  Layering secondary enforcement is  a waste of effort and time and money.  It would just raise construction costs as contractors would have to file and follow two sets of similar regulations. 

I've been involved in construction my entire adult life.  Strict local construction codes disallow use of any product containing asbestos.  This rule has been on the books for decades since it was found to be hazardous to your health.  There are strict local code requirements that if you do any modification, add-ons, or alterations to existing structures, all materials that have asbestos that are effected by the construction have to be abated under very strict rules of removal before the construction begins.
Quite right and the other thing is that most asbestos abatement is really not needed as the old forms of insulation do not shed small fibers that cause lung disease.  The people who are were/at risk are the miners and those working with insulation (primarily those working in the shipbuilding industry years ago).  We had asbestos tiles in our laundry room which were quite brittle and would break into large pieces.  These pose absolutely no risk yet are subject to abatement regulations.  It's appropriate to be concerned when the risks are real but things have to be put in perspective.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 07:51:28 am »

Well said, Alan.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Two23

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:57:44 am »

The "article" is from Newsweek, something we ALL know is even less honest than the National Enquirer.  Like the National Enquirer, they write this stuff knowing there's always a few on lurking on the bottom level who are willing to suspend all judgement and buy it (or click on the link, which helps them with ad money.)  In the future please identify anything linked to Newsweek as I don't want to help something that dishonest and destructive to civil society.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 08:59:22 am »

Quite right and the other thing is that most asbestos abatement is really not needed as the old forms of insulation do not shed small fibers that cause lung disease.  The people who are were/at risk are the miners and those working with insulation (primarily those working in the shipbuilding industry years ago).  We had asbestos tiles in our laundry room which were quite brittle and would break into large pieces.  These pose absolutely no risk yet are subject to abatement regulations.  It's appropriate to be concerned when the risks are real but things have to be put in perspective.

"but things have to be put in perspective."

Indeed; there's absolutely no difference between a .22 pistol at your head and an assault rifle in the same spot... There is no difference between the pistol at a hundred yards and the rifle at that distance. Right, perspective.

Amazing thinking.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 09:20:50 am »

Well said, Alan.

It would be if he’d addressed the OP’s point. 

Instead, we get two paragraphs of unrelated text. Otherwise known as “deflection”.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 09:42:22 am »

Come on, Peter. The OP's point was to get people pissed off and stir up an argument. You know that as well as I do. I don't often compliment Alan, but what he said he said well.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 10:07:46 am »

Agreed. What he said was clear.  It also had absolutely nothing to do with the OP.  I say again: "deflection".
Otherwise known as "bafflegab".

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 10:08:46 am »

The "article" is from Newsweek, something we ALL know is even less honest than the National Enquirer.  Like the National Enquirer, they write this stuff knowing there's always a few on lurking on the bottom level who are willing to suspend all judgement and buy it (or click on the link, which helps them with ad money.)  In the future please identify anything linked to Newsweek as I don't want to help something that dishonest and destructive to civil society.

Hi,

Although their bias in reporting is shifting to the left, their factual reporting seems to be good:
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newsweek/

I must assume from your comment that you are allergic to a left-center bias in subject selection and word use.
Or are you allergic to highly factual news as well?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 11:14:10 am »

... It also had absolutely nothing to do with the OP...

Can you explain HOW it has nothing to do, please?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2018, 11:15:30 am »

I just looked at the video clip Schewe posted.  It's rather long.  But there's some testimony about asbestos from Trump starting at 22:24.  I agree with everything he says.  He's discussing first how asbestos is a great fire retardant and how many engineers said that the WTC may not have come down on 9-11 if they had used asbestos.  But he deferred to the new rules regarding asbestos and then goes on to explain how asbestos abatement can occur in an occupied building and the cost of renovations of buildings.

The point he says that abatement of asbestos can be done in occupied buildings.  Of course this is done at night or on weekends.  My own experience was I managed renovations in over 250 NYC Public Schools.  There are 1200 city-wide in the five boroughs.  Most schools are old and had asbestos used during their construction.  So when I was involved, asbestos abatement had to be done prior to renovation.  Renovations included things like removal and replacements of old coal burning boilers, security camera installations, replacement of walk-in freezers, upgrade of classrooms to modern laboratories, complete renovation of auditoriums, plumbing upgrades,  etc.  Architects and engineers have to file estimates of how much asbestos would have to be abated with the Building Department before the plans are approved and Work Permits issued.  Then, the space has to be abated.  Trump describes some of that how it effects tenants.  As a renovator of high rise office buildings, hotels, etc. Trump is very familiar with the process which he accurately describes. 

Getting back to the OP, the suggestion he's making that some Russian company is exporting asbestos laden construction materials for installation in the US is nonsense.  No distributor would handle it.  No builder would use it.  It’s all illegal to use.  Newsweek twisted bits and pieces of testimony like the "fake news media" does all the time to just find a way of knocking Trump.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:21:14 am by Alan Klein »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2018, 11:43:58 am »

Be careful.  Asbestos laden materials already in place are "safe".   Fireproofing materials, plumbing piping insulation, floor tiles, and other old construction materials that used asbestos can stay in-place as long as it is not disturbed.    HOWEVER, if it's disintegrating, falling apart, or if you are removing it let's say to replace piping insulation with new insulation materials. the asbestos materials should be removed under proper abatement procedures.  That requires a license abatement contractor.

Once abatement materials is handled, or broken apart, it often becomes "friable" a word that mean particles of the asbestos will become airborne and you will breathe it.  The fibers are what causes lung cancer.  We would have tiles removed under asbestos procedures if they contained asbestos.  You might be able to get away without abatement in your situation.  But I would get an engineer familiar with asbestos tile to check it out first before handling it.  Also, since you house is old enough to have used asbestos, there may be other materials like piping insulation that has asbestos.  You might wish to look into that and abate it before it becomes a problem.  If you plan on selling your home, it could effect the sales, prices, and delay selling it when a home inspector flags it as an issue for the potential buyer. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:49:49 am by Alan Klein »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2018, 11:47:16 am »

I just looked at the video clip Schewe posted.  It's rather long.  But there's some testimony about asbestos from Trump starting at 22:24.  I agree with everything he says.  He's discussing first how asbestos is a great fire retardant and how many engineers said that the WTC may not have come donw on 9-11 if they had used asbestos.

Any proof for that claim?

I also wonder about any research into post 9-11 respiratory/lung diseases, and how that would have worked out with asbestos?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2018, 12:10:17 pm »

Alan G. Here's a good checklist if you have asbestos materials in your home.
https://www.asbestosnetwork.com/Worker-Safety/Asbestos-In-The-Home.shtml

Bart:  See article.  I believe many other engineers have stated that even if asbestos fireproofing did not prevent the eventual collapse, they would have been delayed.  If people had another hour or two, hundreds if not thousands could have gotten out before the collapse.  OF course, we'll never know for sure.  Quote "...Berlau’s report of the post-Sept. 11 fireproofing testing by NIST underscores the chilling possibility that the Sept. 11 WTC building collapses may have been delayed if not preventable had asbestos fireproofing been used..."
https://cei.org/content/asbestos-fireproofing-might-have-prevented-world-trade-center-collapse

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2018, 12:12:09 pm »

... have your face on asbestos packaging...

So now you are blaming Trump for the Russian sense of humor?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 12:17:12 pm »

Alan G. Here's a good checklist if you have asbestos materials in your home.
https://www.asbestosnetwork.com/Worker-Safety/Asbestos-In-The-Home.shtml

only had the floor tiles, no insulation

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2018, 01:02:09 pm »

So now you are blaming Trump for the Russian sense of humor?

I never detected a sense of humor when Russia was the Soviet Union.  Once it collapsed and became Russia again, they got a sense of humor.  Even their women got prettier .   :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up