Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dye sub startup help  (Read 792 times)

mearussi

dye sub startup help
« on: July 11, 2018, 11:29:22 am »

Looking to experiment with dye sub for aluminum printing. I have a Epson 1400 I can convert. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to do so and the best products to use such as ink, transfer papers, heat press etc. Also any videos or articles.

Thanks

I.T. Supplies

Re: dye sub startup help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:54:28 pm »

You'll have to find a company that sells the 1400 dye-sub ink since it's an older model and it's not made per the manufacturer.  We do sell the dye-sub supplies (paper, substrates, heat press and what not).

We have a commercial (Dye-sub/Textile) department that is available to answer questions if you'd like information.  We also have demos on our YouTube page.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 04:38:51 pm »

I run 2 dye sub printers, Epson 4880 and a new Epson P8000 both with dye sub ink from Ink Owl.
I would suggest a CIS system for your 1400 rather then refillable carts.
 Those small carts hold like 14ml and you are constantly refilling.
For less then a $100.00 you can purchase the 1400 cis system with 400ml of dye sub ink included from InkXPro.
They currently have a sale on dye sub ink refills for the 1400. $12.95 for 600 ml. Cheap as cheap can be.
The dye sub ink for my printers is the Performance Ultra which comes in at around .11 per ml.
No info on longevity or fading on the 1400 dye sub ink but for learning and what you are doing I would go for it.
You should be able to get a second hand small press, paper and a cis system with ink all for under $500.00.
Match your press and print size the best that you can. 17" printer/16x20 heat press. Plenty of used equipment available.
Stay away from anything with the Sawgrass Ink name attached unless you want to pay $1.40 per ml.

You can use your Epson driver with a Icc profile made for each specific substrate.
Example/Dye Sub Chromaluxe Metal gloss white.
Inkowl can help you with a profile.
Conde System in Alabama has everything you could want for setting up dye sub. (If you are in the states? Profile is empty!)
Conde probably has a hundred YouTube movies on dye sublimation on all types of substrates.
Fire away with any other related questions.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 08:47:53 am by Dan Berg »

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 12:05:37 pm »

Thanks Dan, this is the kind of information I need. I'll contact Ink Owl and go from there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up