Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leicaphilia  (Read 7234 times)

Rob C

Re: Leicaphilia
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 04:39:51 am »

Re. Leitz's SLRs: the first Leicaflex models were their own thing. Later on, after the initial models failed to take off, Leitz entered into a tech- & design-sharing arrangement with Minolta. This began with the CL/CLE rangefinder system and then the first R camera, the R3. The R mount 24/2.8 lens was a Minolta design and a very good one too.

-Dave-

David Hamilton used Minolta cameras...

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 04:42:21 am »

I think too often we confuse "image quality" with "quality of the image."  What I mean by that is we often get so bogged down with things that can be objectively measured (resolution, dynamic range, etc.) that we forget the important thing--emotional impact.  Here's two photos I shot with Ilford HP5 using the 75 yr. old Leica IIIc and a 50mm made 1930-1932 and then a 90mm made in 1948.  I don't think they'd be any "better" if shot with my Nikon D800E and Sigma ART lenses.

Kent in SD

That first shot is a cracker, both in mood and geometry!

Brassaï, eat your heart out.

Rob

Ivophoto

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2018, 04:54:35 am »

The problem is, you made bold a word too late: I wrote "when what was ... " a very different sentiment.

Rob

I stand corrected. I apologize.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2018, 06:29:46 am »

I stand corrected. I apologize.

No problem! I enjoy your posts even when I sometimes don't go along with them. Your pix lend credibility to your opinions, and that's important in my book!

;-)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2018, 07:46:01 am »

No problem! I enjoy your posts even when I sometimes don't go along with them. Your pix lend credibility to your opinions, and that's important in my book!

;-)

Thanks Rob. I appreciate you're opinions as well, for same reason.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2018, 07:50:03 am »

I bought my first M8(.2) well after they were discontinued, in part because the "purple syndrome" (weak anti-IR filter) allows me to do handheld infrared.  :)

I like rangefinders mainly because of how they operate and handle. I see differently when using one.

-Dave-

Ha IR photo's. Do we have section where we can drop them? What did you do with the M8 to make it a genuine IR camera?
Few years ago (12 or so) I was very onto IR with an Rolleicord Vb and the fantastic Macophot Cube 400c IR film.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:14:02 am by Ivo_B »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 08:33:52 am »

Ha IR photo's. Do we have section where we can drop them? What did you do with the M8 to make it a genuine IR camera?
Few years ago (12 or so) I was very onto IR with an Rolleicord Vb and the fantastic Macophot Cube 400c IR film.

Lovely image.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 10:20:29 am »

A fine shot, Ivo. I came a hairsbreadth from buying an M8 when the camera first came out. I've been glad ever since that I dropped the idea at the last minute.

There was a time when I owned a IIIf, an M2 and an M4. The M4 with Summicron 50 probably was the camera I most loved, going back through -- at that time -- about thirty years of active photography. When digital came along and I backed away from the M8, I switched to Nikons for practically everything, though I tried a digital Voigtlander rangefinder Leica knockoff for a while with what I felt were less than satisfactory results.

But when the Olympus Pen-F came out I bought one and put a Lumix Leica 25mm Summilux on it. As far as I'm concerned, the Pen with its Leica-designed lens and excellent EVF is a quite satisfactory replacement for my M4. I've even come to prefer its autofocus to the split image I used for decades.

Here are two shots I've posted before. One is from the M4 in San Francisco using Ilford HP4. The other is from the Pen-F, converted to B&W with Nik's Silver Efex Pro 2. See why I like the Pen-F?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 12:10:55 pm »

Lovely image.

Keith, do you remember or keep up with Pete Stevens of BJP days? He once sent me some pictures (which I have saved to this day) that he'd made in a misty park, and they were very reminiscent of Ivo's shot, but not IR, just natural light and fog effect.

Rob

P.S. Looking forward to Wednesday evening!

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2018, 12:22:32 pm »

Keith, do you remember or keep up with Pete Stevens of BJP days? He once sent me some pictures (which I have saved to this day) that he'd made in a misty park, and they were very reminiscent of Ivo's shot, but not IR, just natural light and fog effect.

Rob

P.S. Looking forward to Wednesday evening!

Rob, no, I've not heard a thing of Pete since.

Careful, Rob, imaginations run riot here. God only knows what folk will be thinking is going down on Wednesday. ;-)

Whatever, I hope it doesn't disappoint!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 12:28:20 pm by KLaban »

Telecaster

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 04:17:00 pm »

All you need to do is screw an IR-pass filter onto your lens, et voilà! I use one with a nominal 720nm cutoff. The camera's weak IR-blocking filter, the cause of the notorious M8 black-turns-purple phenomenon, lets you take IR photos handheld at ISO 640 (or sometimes 320 in strong IR light) and f/5.6. You must also figure out the IR focus offset needed for each lens. I've found the marked offsets on lenses that have 'em are not to be trusted, but a bit of trial & error will get you there. I mainly use one lens: a (Cosina) Voigtländer 28/1.9. The optimal focus offset with this lens happens to be the marked f/5.6 hyperfocal point. Focus optically via the rangefinder, then move your focus distance over to the f/5.6 mark.

I like the idea of an IR Without Prejudice thread. Next time I do some IR I'll start one (if it hasn't already been started by then).

Lovely!

-Dave-
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 04:21:02 pm by Telecaster »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2018, 04:46:37 am »

All you need to do is screw an IR-pass filter onto your lens, et voilà! I use one with a nominal 720nm cutoff. The camera's weak IR-blocking filter, the cause of the notorious M8 black-turns-purple phenomenon, lets you take IR photos handheld at ISO 640 (or sometimes 320 in strong IR light) and f/5.6. You must also figure out the IR focus offset needed for each lens. I've found the marked offsets on lenses that have 'em are not to be trusted, but a bit of trial & error will get you there. I mainly use one lens: a (Cosina) Voigtländer 28/1.9. The optimal focus offset with this lens happens to be the marked f/5.6 hyperfocal point. Focus optically via the rangefinder, then move your focus distance over to the f/5.6 mark.

I like the idea of an IR Without Prejudice thread. Next time I do some IR I'll start one (if it hasn't already been started by then).

Lovely!

-Dave-

There are two advantages to use a TLR like the Rolleicord. separate focus lens and! the Rollei IR filter is corrected! So no focus offset.

:-)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up