Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The British Orient Express!  (Read 945 times)

Kevin Gallagher

The British Orient Express!
« on: July 08, 2018, 07:51:40 am »

Hi all, I'm not exactly sure where to post this but let's try it here. The link will take you to an article in The Business Insider about a sister train to the famous Orient Express. It strives to recreate the experience of the luxury trains of old. There are even trips offered with a murder mystery playing out as you travel!! FWIW, I am a huge fan of the 1974 production of Murder On the Orient Express directed by Sidney Lumet but was not favorably impressed by the Kenneth Branagh version released in 2017.

British "Orient Express"
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: The British Orient Express!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:11:05 am »

I also thought the 1974 version of the movie was superior.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:54:32 am »

And I read the book long before either film version came out.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 01:55:22 pm »

I guess the majority out there really liked the 2017 version as the studio has apparently green lit another film with Branagh playing Poirot.

I'm also a fan of the series with Peter Ustinov in the title role, my favorite being Evil Under The Sun. The BBC series, on the other hand, with David Suchet didn't do it for me at all although judging from the length of it's run, it must have had very wide appeal.

Alan, I guess it was that absurd (to me anyway) mustache on Branagh that turned me totally off.

Eric, I must admit that I have never read any of her work but I will get to it one day!!

Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 05:34:03 pm »

I guess the majority out there really liked the 2017 version as the studio has apparently green lit another film with Branagh playing Poirot.

I'm also a fan of the series with Peter Ustinov in the title role, my favorite being Evil Under The Sun. The BBC series, on the other hand, with David Suchet didn't do it for me at all although judging from the length of it's run, it must have had very wide appeal.

Alan, I guess it was that absurd (to me anyway) mustache on Branagh that turned me totally off.

Eric, I must admit that I have never read any of her work but I will get to it one day!!
Not BBC but ITV.  The ITV series covered every single Poirot book written and made Suchet the definitive Poirot the others are pale imitations. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Agatha_Christie%27s_Poirot_episodes
Dave

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 09:44:27 am »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the information and the link to the ITV series' background. I must admit to never having read any of the Agatha Christie books and I do recall the many times that the Suchet series was praised. Guess I'll have to give it another look.

Can you recommend a particular episode or episodes that really stood out to you?

Since we're on the subject of fictional detectives, I wonder if any would care to weigh in on the various shows, movies, etc., depicting Sherlock Holmes?
  I very much liked the TV series from the 50's with Ronald Howard as Holmes as well as the series of films starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce (For me, Rathbone was the definitive Holmes).

I also liked Peter Cushing in 1959's "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" (my brother and I were very young when we saw this in the theater and it scared the hell out of us both!) and Christopher Plummer in "Murder By decree". James Mason was excellent as Watson alongside Plummer in that one.

To me, the Jude Law/Robert Downey Jr. pairings were not very interesting. I thought Jeremy Brett was also an excellent Holmes, so sad he died young as he did. One from left field I did enjoy was 1985's "Young Sherlock Holmes" starring Nicholas Rowe.

Well, I guess that's about it from me guys, over to you  :)
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 11:03:02 am »

My wife and son were extras in it; I was offered a sailor part if I removed the beard: no deal! The parts involved were shot up here in the north of the island, around the beach of the Formentor Hotel. 1981. The weather caused a lot of early-morning 'phone calls calling off the shootings for the day. I think it must have been around April or May of that year. I remember an American girl called, if I'm not mistaken, Pamela Wells(?) who worked on the film as an assistant of some kind. Very fetching - and capable.

Rob

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 01:48:28 pm »

Wow!! Very cool Rob, did you get to meet any of the cast?
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 01:55:26 pm »

The best Branagh detective series was Wallander that was based on the Henning Mankell set of novels.  The episodes were pretty true to the work and the scenes of southern Sweden are just wonderful.  You can watch them on Netflix.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 02:12:17 pm »

The best Branagh detective series was Wallander that was based on the Henning Mankell set of novels.  The episodes were pretty true to the work and the scenes of southern Sweden are just wonderful.  You can watch them on Netflix.
I'm not so sure, the original Swedish series was pretty good. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallander_(Swedish_TV_series)

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 02:16:38 pm »

I'm not so sure, the original Swedish series was pretty good. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallander_(Swedish_TV_series)
I've heard it is good and I think it's streaming somewhere, I'll have to give it a look.  Also worth watching is Babylon Berlin set in Weimar Germany.  The plot is great and the period settings are wonderful.  It's on Netflix and once you start watching you pretty much want to binge it all the way to the end.
Pages: [1]   Go Up