Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PhaseOne System shooting without histogram on camera  (Read 1275 times)

spassig

PhaseOne System shooting without histogram on camera
« on: July 08, 2018, 05:27:38 am »

Hello

I test also body XF and back IQ3 for landscape photography.
a) In old days I use for BW the zone system from Ansel Adams for optimize the picture.
b) At my Sony A7II I use histogram before I press the pushbutton.
The b) is very comfortable and minimize bad footage.

On XF and IQ3 there isn't a histogram available before I press the pushbutton?
What's the best way with PO System to optimize footage?
Has someone a reference?
Should I buy a Fuji GFX?

Jochen

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: PhaseOne System shooting without histogram on camera
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 08:46:49 am »

Hello

I test also body XF and back IQ3 for landscape photography.
a) In old days I use for BW the zone system from Ansel Adams for optimize the picture.
b) At my Sony A7II I use histogram before I press the pushbutton.
The b) is very comfortable and minimize bad footage.

On XF and IQ3 there isn't a histogram available before I press the pushbutton?
What's the best way with PO System to optimize footage?
Has someone a reference?
Should I buy a Fuji GFX?

Jochen

f you are asking these questions and own a Sony, get a Fuji. You already know how to work Lightroom etc and the Fuji is the MF camera whch is the MF camera the most similar to a Sony mirroless. On the other hand I don't think the image quality of the Fuji is really much different from the Sony, although it is very different from the small Fujis.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 09:31:50 am »

Quote from: spassig link=topic=125742.msg1054368#msg1054368 date=1531042058
[/quote

Hi Jochen,

In the old days did film cameras have histograms?  Why not simply use a handheld meter or the in camera meter.  If you know the zone system I would say you are well equipped to shoot even without a meter.   Not sure about what you mean by waste when using digital media. 

Use the camera that brings you joy. 

Anyway most of the time in landscape photography you arrive early and wait for the right light.  Giving you plenty of time to shoot test frames and find a very sexy histogram.

Be well and have a great shoot.
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

Pforster

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 10:17:02 am »

Hello Jochen
I have no experience of a preview histogram but can imagine that they could be nice to have - although, having used film for most of my photographic life, histograms in general are still a bit of a novelty for me  :).
However, the Phase IQ3 100/XF combination had something even better in my opinion with an exposure "heat map" that mirrors the zone system.
It's only necessary to take a test shot using "One Shot AE" on the XF (which normally gives an excellent first stab at a correct exposure) and you can then view the histogram and/or the exposure map.
I can't think of anything easier or more informative - and that's with a DB that has a dynamic range of 15 stops!
Regards, Paul.
Paul.

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:46:35 pm »

Obviously, no one can tell you what would fit your needs but I find the XF100 to be an extraordinary landscape camera. I also find it easier to use than the GFX.  It's worth considering if you print large, are willing to carry around a heavy camera system and can afford it.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 10:08:47 pm »

I'd do a demo with a Phase One dealer and have them show you the following options for exposure evaluation with an XF IQ3 kit:
- Handheld meter
- In-Camera Meter
- Highlight Warning
- Clipping Warning (not the same as highlight warning)
- Zone System Heatmap
- Exposure calculator (very useful for rapidly finding the right exposure when the shutter speed will be a minute or longer)
- Histogram after capture on camera body LCD (good for when you're above the camera)
- Histogram after capture on digital back LCD (notably, does not obscure or interrupt the view of the image)
- Histogram after capture on iOS device  (good for a digital tech, or when the camera is mounted out of reach)
- Histogram after capture in Capture One (good for a digital tech, or when the camera is mounted out of reach)
- Bracket and figure it out later (The XF HDR mode tags associated files for easy sorting in Capture One)

The clipping warning, zone system heatmap, and exposure calculator are (as far as I know) unique to the IQ2/IQ3 platform. Since I shoot weddings more often than landscape it is the clipping warning I personally use most often, followed by the zone system heatmap, followed by the grip histogram. When shooting nudes I tend to use Capture One more than anything on the camera.

Alternatively you can Stop worrying and Learn to Love the Dynamic Range that the 100mp Sensor plus Capture One Raw Processing Provides. When at low ISO in IIQ-L 16 bit mode, even if you're several stops under exposed, the real-world impact on shadows is extremely minor, even for those who are very picky about image quality. It's still always "best" to get it right in-camera (both for quality and workflow reasons) but when you don't, for whatever reason, the flexibility/pliability of the file from the IQ3 100mp is unmatched.

During the review of the images you can also rate the image using the digital back interface (or iOS device) such that when you import the images back at home you'll see which images you've already rated as poor exposures; that's a great way to use some downtime. You could also delete them from the digital back interface, but I find it best to wait until after the images are imported to delete anything. Storage is cheap; trips into the field are costly (both in time and $).

If you're in the US we'd be glad to be that dealer that shows you the above features in practice and helps you arrange a test drive for you to try them in the field. We live and breath Phase One.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 09:48:10 am by Doug Peterson »

Graham Welland

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:54:44 am »

Whilst I will use the tiny histogram on the GFX when adjusting exposure before shooting and review it again after shooting, NOTHING compares to the post-capture exposure heat map feature of the IQ3 series backs. I use that feature almost 100% of the time on either my XF or Actus DB technical camera.

Is approximate exposure, shoot, review, adjust, so difficult? That's my workflow when shooting with a technical camera. On the XF I'll let the camera tell me what looks like the correct exposure value and manually adjust if required before shooting, and then readjust if required afterward. (I pretty much always shoot manual so this works for me).
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up