Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scab Lands  (Read 1286 times)

Two23

Scab Lands
« on: July 07, 2018, 12:31:00 am »

Once again my wife is insisting we go visit our youngest son in Redmond, WA.  Been to Olympic Peninsula, been to Mt. Ranier NP, been to Columbia Gorge east of Portland.  We have about five or six days.  There are some hikes to glaciers that sound interesting in the Cascades NP area, so those are on the list.  (Our family jokes that during July & August we miss snow so much that most of our summer vacations are spent visiting it somewhere. ;D.  Some truth to that!)  I got to looking at the map and quickly became intrigued with the Scab Lands.  Now those look fascinating!  Anyone familiar with them?  Wife & I are outdoor adventurer types and have first rate outdoor gear.  Scab Lands looks like nothing I've seen before.  Closest I've experienced might be the interior of Iceland. :)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Telecaster

Re: Scab Lands
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 04:08:17 pm »

I've flown over the Scablands in a Cessna: some very wacky terrain! My friend K, who's originally from WA, and I have talked about a hiking visit but it's a ways off at the least. In your place I'd likely go for it.

-Dave-

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 08:48:07 pm »

I live close to them, a few hours drive.  Very interesting geo-morphism and fun photographic challenge.

Google is your friend.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=geology+of+the+channeled+scablands&oq=geology+of+the+channeled+scablands&aqs=chrome..69i57.21423j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's a fascinating story how their origin was hypothesized, derided, and later authenticated. 

I'd research accommodations there.  Them towns is small. :)

Two23

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 10:23:28 pm »

I live close to them, a few hours drive.  Very interesting geo-morphism and fun photographic challenge.

Google is your friend.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=geology+of+the+channeled+scablands&oq=geology+of+the+channeled+scablands&aqs=chrome..69i57.21423j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It's a fascinating story how their origin was hypothesized, derided, and later authenticated. 

I'd research accommodations there.  Them towns is small. :)

Have been reading up on them the past several days.  I'm into geology and Ice Age paleo history etc. The fact no one here on a premier landscape forum has photo'd them or seems to know much about them tells me Scab Lands are pretty remote & desolate.  That makes them even more attractive to me! 

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 11:44:04 pm »

Not that remote, really. Especially for someone from the prairies.  You guys will drive a hundred miles just for breakfast, right?

The Palouse is right nearby, too.

Don't know when you're going, but it will be HOT there now.

Two23

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 11:10:02 am »

Not that remote, really. Especially for someone from the prairies.  You guys will drive a hundred miles just for breakfast, right?

The Palouse is right nearby, too.

Don't know when you're going, but it will be HOT there now.

The fast food places are 1-2 hours apart in my state, and you are right I think nothing of driving 300-400 miles on a weekend.  There's a steam engine (locomotive) that will be running at twilight next week on the other end of my state, and I'm thinking of driving out there after lunch, setting up flash and taking a shot, then driving home without missing work.  Total distance about 750 miles.

It's been hitting 95-100 here, so I guess we're acclimated.  The year I moved to South Dakota it was 105 in July, snowed the third week of September, and was 22F below zero by third week of December.  We are hardy people.  :)

Palouse interests me, but it's farther south than we want to drive (and I like to find places less photo'd.)  Plan is to spend a day photo'ing downtown Seattle again with Leica IIIc (bum camps, syringes on the sidewalks, and RSL approved street stuff), drive up Whidbey Island & north on ferry, drive to Cascades NP to hike to a couple of glaciers, then back down through Scab Lands, stay in Yakima, and then back to Redmond.  I have a 1932 Voigtlander Bergheil--same camera my hero Brassai used, and six plate holders.  It's a compact 6.5x9cm view camera with a Heliar 105mm lens.  I have some glass plates (dry plates) for it and plan is to photo Scab Lands with that.  It looks like a good place to shoot black & white, and glass plates give a very unique look. :)  Won't spend more than a day in Scab Lands.  Mid August, prairie temps might be the same as what we left.

Kent in SD
miserere nobis.
Pages: [1]   Go Up