Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: One more thing  (Read 3835 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: One more thing
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 07:36:58 am »

I have Dutch friends who are in despair. But it's not just the English league that attracts the top players, Spain, France, Italy, all are drawing talent from elsewhere, chasing the money.

There is also a downside for the English born, particularly younger players who find it difficult to break into first team football because of all the competition from foreign players and this also has a negative effect on the national side.

But hey, who said life is fair?

;-)
Most of us Dutch club supporters (Ajax are my club and have been since the days of Cruyff) cannot wait for Brexit so that English teams can no longer poach U-18 talent.  By my count Ajax have lost almost a dozen youth players over the last several years to English teams.  Most of these players don't make it with the original club (maybe Fosu-Mensah can make ManU's first team but I'm not so sure).  They go to Chelsea or one of the other teams, get loaned out and ultimately find some second rate team to play for.  they would have been better off staying at Ajax and getting first team football.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 07:46:58 am »

Most of us Dutch club supporters (Ajax are my club and have been since the days of Cruyff) cannot wait for Brexit so that English teams can no longer poach U-18 talent.  By my count Ajax have lost almost a dozen youth players over the last several years to English teams.  Most of these players don't make it with the original club (maybe Fosu-Mensah can make ManU's first team but I'm not so sure).  They go to Chelsea or one of the other teams, get loaned out and ultimately find some second rate team to play for.  they would have been better off staying at Ajax and getting first team football.

Second rate players tend to end up playing in second rate teams in second rate leagues.

Suck it up, life ain't fair.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 07:55:05 am »

Second rate players tend to end up playing in second rate teams in second rate leagues.

Suck it up, life ain't fair.
No doubt.  Ajax still have a great youth academy and there are more academy players on first division Euro teams than from any other.  UEFA have to step in an enforce Financial Fair Play to more than just AC Milan.  It will be interesting to see what happens with Paris Saint Germain now that they have to finalize the payment for Mbappe and pay off Monaco.  I don't think they can keep both him and Neymar with their current financial situation without selling a lot of players.  UEFA also have to establish firm rules against the stockpiling of players.  It's ridiculous that Chelsea have so many players under first team contracts and then go an loan twenty or so out each year.  the Champions League is becoming a joke and television ratings are down in almost all the countries other than England and Spain these days.  that cannot be good in the long run.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 08:01:05 am »

No doubt.  Ajax still have a great youth academy and there are more academy players on first division Euro teams than from any other.  UEFA have to step in an enforce Financial Fair Play to more than just AC Milan.  It will be interesting to see what happens with Paris Saint Germain now that they have to finalize the payment for Mbappe and pay off Monaco.  I don't think they can keep both him and Neymar with their current financial situation without selling a lot of players.  UEFA also have to establish firm rules against the stockpiling of players.  It's ridiculous that Chelsea have so many players under first team contracts and then go an loan twenty or so out each year.  the Champions League is becoming a joke and television ratings are down in almost all the countries other than England and Spain these days.  that cannot be good in the long run.

Good in the long run?

Migrants are worth more angst, sweat and discussion!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 08:02:49 am »

Second rate players tend to end up playing in second rate teams in second rate leagues..

Even the very best players end up as -reserve- at the wealthy teams; not playing very much or at all- too bad.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 08:09:32 am »

Migrants are worth more angst, sweat and discussion!
It was nice to see the match between Poland and Senegal.

Poland refuses to take migrants ( as is Hungary) and seem to be especially afraid of migrants that are muslims...
But seeing the match ; they could use some players from Senegal that were much better at the game.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 08:12:44 am »

Poland refuses to take migrants ( as is Hungary) and seem to be especially afraid of migrants that are muslims...
But seeing the match ; they could use some players from Senegal that were much better at the game.
Senegal were fun to watch.  Some Euro countries have done a good job of integrating migrants into the youth football programs.  Dutch born Moroccans have done well football wise.  Germany have had several players of Turkish descent on their NT.

KLaban

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 08:15:45 am »

Even the very best players end up as -reserve- at the wealthy teams; not playing very much or at all- too bad.

The very best players play.

There are very good players who accept that the very best teams consist of more than 11 players and want to be a part of that, to compete for their place in the very best teams and become one of the very best players. If they're not happy they should move on to other very good teams who would welcome them and give them more playing time.

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 08:20:34 am »

There are very good players who accept that the very best teams consist of more than 11 players and want to be a part of that, to compete for their place in the very best teams and become one of the very best players. If they're not happy they should move on to other very good teams who would welcome them and give them more playing time.
Or they can do just what Winston Bogarde did while at Chelsea; show up for training and collect his paycheck realizing he was not going to ever see first team football. ;D

KLaban

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 08:29:40 am »

I was sorry to see Belgium go, I'll miss watching De Bruyne and Hazard in particular, but had they won I'd have missed the opportunity to see Pogba, Matuidi and Mbappe in the final against England.

;-)

Manoli

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 11:55:00 am »

In anticipation of tonight’s game:

... the advantage of England’s canny strategic defeat to Belgium in the group stages may be even clearer. After all, rather than face France in the last four, England take on Croatia, a side that only crawled past Denmark and Russia, emerging from the quarter-finals as battered as a London ambulance.

“We’ve played five difficult games, they’ve taken their toll,” conceded Croatia manager Zlatko Dalic. “We’re tired but there can be no excuses,” he continued, resisting any temptation to contrast his side’s progress with that of England, who were given a bye in the last round when Sweden failed to show up. Instead Dalic urged his team to put on brave faces and hope they’re big enough to blot out Harry Maguire’s head. “We’ve analysed England, we know where the greatest danger is to us,” he chirped. “There is no reason to be nervous, we are relieved, without pressure, we have come to enjoy the semi-final. We have come to show our best game.” But that’s England’s plan, too, and while Croatia have more creativity in central midfield, Southgate has power, pace and a catchy song. Today, then, we get one step closer to finding out what is coming home: football, or flipall.

(quoted from the Fiver ..)

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 12:57:57 pm »

In anticipation of tonight’s game:

... the advantage of England’s canny strategic defeat to Belgium in the group stages may be even clearer. After all, rather than face France in the last four, England take on Croatia, a side that only crawled past Denmark and Russia, emerging from the quarter-finals as battered as a London ambulance.
Does this mean England lay down and threw the match to Belgium?  Horrors!

Manoli

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2018, 01:50:31 pm »

The Fiver is full of English humorous sarcasm, Alan - not the moment to underestimate Croatia !!

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2018, 03:56:45 pm »

The Fiver is full of English humorous sarcasm, Alan - not the moment to underestimate Croatia !!
England look a shambles going into extra time.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2018, 04:37:37 pm »

Congrats to my ex-countrymen for making it to the final!!!

KLaban

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2018, 04:46:48 pm »

Congratulations to Croatia, well deserved.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:54:29 pm by KLaban »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 05:10:53 pm »

My Dutch friend posted this:

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2018, 03:57:41 am »

I was sorry to see Belgium go, I'll miss watching De Bruyne and Hazard in particular, but had they won I'd have missed the opportunity to see Pogba, Matuidi and Mbappe in the final against England.

;-)

England gets a new opportunity to show it is better than Belgium...
But i don't think so...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

stamper

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2018, 04:56:37 am »

After last nights result I have canceled my trip to Dignitas.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2018, 05:03:47 am »

After last nights result I have canceled my trip to Dignitas.

Bloody Scots. Take your damn country  ;)

Jeremy
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up