Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: One more thing  (Read 3830 times)

Ivophoto

One more thing
« on: July 06, 2018, 04:43:44 pm »

I wasn’t sure if it would fit in Street showcase.

⚽️⚽️

Manoli

Re: One more thing
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 05:14:00 pm »

I wasn’t sure if it would fit in Street showcase.

Congratulations to Belgium - a well deserved victory!
The way the results are coming through, I think there's every chance that this year we may well see a country, that has never before won the Wotld Cup, actually lift the trophy - it would be a refreshing change!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 05:27:00 pm by Manoli »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 05:43:57 pm »

I picked Belgium to win  before play began.  I will be disappointed  because they will win one before my beloved Dutch National Team does.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 05:18:22 am »

Congratulations to Belgium - a well deserved victory!
The way the results are coming through, I think there's every chance that this year we may well see a country, that has never before won the Wotld Cup, actually lift the trophy - it would be a refreshing change!

I certainly hope so, but the half of the draw where Belgium sits is much stronger than the other one.

Even if they were to win against France tonight, odds are they would then lose in the finals because of running our of mental juice. ;)

Anyway, I have never been that interested in soccer... but since Belgium is doing pretty well...  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:59:33 am »

Belgium - France is the true final and both have great teams

England and Croatia are less...

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:19:54 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:14:19 am »

I certainly hope so, but the half of the draw where Belgium sits is much stronger than the other one.

Even if they were to win against France tonight, odds are they would then lose in the finals because of running our of mental juice. ;)

Anyway, I have never been that interested in soccer... but since Belgium is doing pretty well...  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

"Anyway, I have never been that interested in soccer..."

Brother! At last we find no disagreement, hard as I may try!

:-)

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:06:56 am »

"Anyway, I have never been that interested in soccer..."

Brother! At last we find no disagreement, hard as I may try!

:-)
I'm the contrarian on this one.  I pretty much have given up watching most American sports these days preferring to watch soccer (the real football).  The nice thing about most European club matches is that they are on first thing in the morning and I have the rest of the day free.  I don't think this year's World Cup has been as interesting as in past years but it's good to see Belgium and Croatia progress.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 09:08:55 am »

It's football, not soccer, and it's coming home, it's coming home, football's coming home...

Love it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 11:09:04 am »

Ahmmm...

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 12:16:12 pm »

I'm the contrarian on this one.  I pretty much have given up watching most American sports these days preferring to watch soccer (the real football).  The nice thing about most European club matches is that they are on first thing in the morning and I have the rest of the day free.  I don't think this year's World Cup has been as interesting as in past years but it's good to see Belgium and Croatia progress.

It's a minefield - God alone understands why - but I shall risk asking, anyway: on what grounds does it make any difference, unless, of course, you have money riding on it?

I feel zero connection with any so-called national sports teams. Or even club ones. LuLa is about as close as I can get to what I imagine may be the sense of "togetherness in this mess!" emotion, not that I'm suggesting for one moment that LuLa is a mess, but you get (I hope) my drift.

There is a conviction within me that every person is, ultimately, alone, a sensation felt especially powerfully when in crowds. Parents/children, bless us all, have a relationship born (NPI) of natural cause, and not one of selection or choice; would our parents really have chosen us, the model they produced, if they'd had ultimate control? Would we have chosen us ourselves, given those options?

I find that more interesting to ponder than kicking a globe through a space between two sticks.

;-(

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 12:48:50 pm »

Somewhat related to the OP, a suggestion on how to "cure" diving in soccer/football: http://induecourse.ca/how-to-solve-the-problem-of-diving-in-soccer/.
--
Robert

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 01:04:51 pm »

It's a minefield - God alone understands why - but I shall risk asking, anyway: on what grounds does it make any difference, unless, of course, you have money riding on it?
My support always goes to The Netherlands who with the great Cruyff revolutionized football in the early 1970s.  Unfortunately, they did not qualify this year so I had to look for another team.  I detest England and was surprised that they made it this far.  I like small nations such as Holland who are able to field good football teams pretty consistently (they have made three WC finals and a couple of additional semifinals) so that's the principal reason for pulling for Croatia and Belgium.

I enjoy watching football and the WC presents a big buffet from which to choose from.  I think I've watched over 80% of the matches in this tournament (it helps being retired).

Manoli

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 01:58:44 pm »

France v Belgium should be a great match, touch of added spice that Thierry Henry, one of France’s all time greats, just happens to be the Belgian assistant coach. Ouch!

KLaban

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 02:57:27 pm »

We have the best league in the world, witness all the players from around the world playing in the Premier League. That said I'm a realist, as much as I would love to see an English victory the reality is one of the teams playing as I type will probably end up as world champions, but I hope I'm wrong.

Stores will be closing early if we reach the final. Come on England!

;-)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 03:00:37 pm by KLaban »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 06:04:25 pm »

Belgium lost but played as well as France... but if you have to win you at least has to score once..

Dembele was not playing well, Lukaku was not focussed enough... too bad. Enjoyed the Belgium team.
Mertens should have played from the beginning ( for Dembele). He played very well.
my take :

France 1
Croatia 2
Belgium3
England 4

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 06:10:19 pm »

We have the best league in the world, witness all the players from around the world playing in the Premier League. That said I'm a realist, as much as I would love to see an English victory the reality is one of the teams playing as I type will probably end up as world champions, but I hope I'm wrong.
Only because of the huge amount of television money that each Premier League team gets and the high level of foreign ownership (which is not permitted in some other leagues such as the Bundesliga).  Players go where the money is and that destination is England.

KLaban

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 04:23:06 am »

Only because of the huge amount of television money that each Premier League team gets and the high level of foreign ownership (which is not permitted in some other leagues such as the Bundesliga).  Players go where the money is and that destination is England.

Good on 'em.

They can go to the USA when they're past their sell by date.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:31:21 am by KLaban »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 06:56:31 am »

Or the oil states or China...
-

Murdoch is a clever business men.
By spending so much money on TV-rights of the Premier League he made the competition at the same time more valuable/ profitable.
Clubs can now spend enormous amounts of money on players.
Result is that in Europe the competition is hardly fair.
In Holland for example the best players leave the clubs and country at an age under 20 making millions in Spain and the UK; our competition level sinks lower and lower.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

KLaban

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 07:21:57 am »

I have Dutch friends who are in despair. But it's not just the English league that attracts the top players, Spain, France, Italy, all are drawing talent from elsewhere, chasing the money.

There is also a downside for the English born, particularly younger players who find it difficult to break into first team football because of all the competition from foreign players and this also has a negative effect on the national side.

But hey, who said life is fair?

;-)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 07:27:28 am by KLaban »

Alan Goldhammer

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 07:33:14 am »

Good on 'em.

My home town club, DC United, just spent a bunch of money to get Wayne Rooney from Everton.  The only Euro player who has been a standout in our league has been Giovinco but he came over when he was still young and a good player.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up