Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Several Calibration Questions (NEC / Spectraview II)  (Read 2866 times)

Moritat

Several Calibration Questions (NEC / Spectraview II)
« on: July 06, 2018, 08:34:43 am »

I have an NEC P221W which I haven't calibrated in a very long time.  I plan on calibrating this weekend with Spectraview II, but I have some questions.  Some background...  First, I use windows 7.  I shoot in raw and after working on the raw file in ACR, the file goes to photoshop where I work on it as a 16 bit argb file and save it as an argb TIFF. If I'm sending the photo to friends via email or presenting on the internet, I convert a copy of the file to an 8 bit srgb file before sending.  I rarely print, so my calibration intentions would be for photo editing purposes only. For my target calibration settings, I plan to use 6500K and a gamma rate of 2.2, but I have questions on the following settings. 

1. Do I use the Adobe RGB or SRGB or Native Full as the color gamut?  I would use Adobe rgb for editing my file, but srgb for viewing online. Would I be able to see Adobe rgb and srgb files properly if I used Native Full? 

2. What is the best contrast ratio to use? Maybe around 250.1 or maybe 300.1.  Or is there some advantage to using a high ratio like 800.1 for photo editing?

3. What is a good intensity target. Since I work in a dark area, I'm thinking maybe around 110?

4. I don't see anyplace where you can set a target for black point. Is there place to do this? If so, any recommendations on what to choose? 

4. In Spectraview under file I see a selection called "generate ICC profile"?  What does this mean?

I appreciate any assistance here.

BAB

Re: Several Calibration Questions (NEC / Spectraview II)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 06:32:38 pm »

ok from memory
use the puck that came with the monitor and the software for nec spectraview

set target to 96, 110 is not good!
pro photo or adobe rgb color space
contrast ratio adjusts itself
5500 kelvin
it will adjust the black point
generate Icc profile saves the profile to you system so when the monitor is connected it use it
you also need to correct you laptop or desktop with the exact same setting so they match.

easy to do

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 11:31:33 am »

D65
Gama 2.2
Native full gamut for most things.

Luminance adjusted to get good screen to print match with standard evaluation file printed, based upon the your standard print evaluation lighting.  Solux 4700k bulb(s) work well for evaluation.  They sell a 4 head track light fixture for this purpose that works well, IMO.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

jpegman

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 07:40:02 pm »

I have the same combination of p221W and Spectraview II (just updated to 1.1.37) with ColorMunki Spectrometer.

Don't overthink the calibration too much - I make profiles for both Printing and sJpg with calibration points of 100  cd/m^2 and 140 cd/m^2 and Spectraview II uses the P221 default values for most of the fine tuning.

I think you should consider a calibartion light level based on printing (even if you don't plan on printing frequently) since your eyes will get accustomed to whatever level you calibrate to. It will be automatically "calibrated for on those rare times you may want a print". Alternatively, If you forgot your "very bright" display, and don't reset it for prints, you would be very disappointed when your prints come out dark wherever they are printed (at home or a store).

If you want to check how it looks on a web page, go to Spectraview II and change to emulated sJPG calibration, and check out your image.

Jpegman

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:44:15 pm »

1. Do I use the Adobe RGB or SRGB or Native Full as the color gamut?  I would use Adobe rgb for editing my file, but srgb for viewing online. Would I be able to see Adobe rgb and srgb files properly if I used Native Full? 

2. What is the best contrast ratio to use? Maybe around 250.1 or maybe 300.1.  Or is there some advantage to using a high ratio like 800.1 for photo editing?

3. What is a good intensity target. Since I work in a dark area, I'm thinking maybe around 110?

4. I don't see anyplace where you can set a target for black point. Is there place to do this? If so, any recommendations on what to choose? 

4. In Spectraview under file I see a selection called "generate ICC profile"?  What does this mean?

1. Yes! Adobe RGB (1998) for editing, sRGB for posting if so desired; you can't control or predict what others see of your images on the web.
2. Depends on the paper you're soft proofing towards. See: http://blog.xritephoto.com/2011/07/x-rite-i1display-pro-advanced-features-contrast-ratio-with-coloratti-andrew-rodney/
3. It varies based on the viewing conditions of a print next to the display. Same for white point. Any one that specifies a setting for you should tell you it's simply a starting point! See:

Why are my prints too dark?
A video update to a written piece on subject from 2013
In this 24 minute video, I'll cover:
Are your prints really too dark?
Display calibration and WYSIWYG
Proper print viewing conditions
Trouble shooting to get a match
Avoiding kludges that don't solve the problem

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/Why_are_my_prints_too_dark.mp4
Low resolution: https://youtu.be/iS6sjZmxjY4
4. Contrast ratio!
5.Creates the ICC profile for that calibration target. You can make as many as you wish and switch on the fly, in the software to load that calibration and the associated ICC profile. So you could make one that's got a cooler white point and lower contrast ratio for paper A and a warmer WP and higher contrast ratio for paper B etc.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 12:30:03 pm »

set target to 96, 110 is not good!

There is no magic number here.  110 is too low for me based on my 3 NEC displays and the Solux viewing area that I use.

As Andrew states and demonstrates the correct number for both brightness and white point is the one the delivers the closest match to a print in the viewing station.  These are the only two variables that can be adjusted so the display will match the output.  We can’t adjust the output, so the only thing that can be done is adjust the targets to achieve a match.
Pages: [1]   Go Up