Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online backup of 6 TB of photos. How?  (Read 5109 times)

TommyWeir

Re: Online backup of 6 TB of photos. How?
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 02:19:37 am »

I never advocated forget...

And agreed always do trial restores.   There's always World Backup Day which we use to test each of ours.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 11:22:08 am »

And agreed always do trial restores.   There's always World Backup Day which we use to test each of ours.

Maybe I got the wrong idea when you wrote: "...don't have to think about."

Jim

TommyWeir

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 04:33:10 pm »

You did.

My comparison was with managing offsite drives in other premises.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 10:08:46 am »

Sadly, any backup process which requires manual intervention everyday is likely to fail because we are lazy.  The beauty of a cloud-like solution - whether it’s a commercial cloud or one you set up yourself - is that it runs every day (or hour) with no intervention.

Yes... if the process relies in a human remembering to do something... it is going to fail.

http://dgpfotografia.com

bassman51

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 04:56:01 pm »

Sadly, I’ve restored from Crashplan more than once.  Happily, it succeeded each time.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

TommyWeir

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2018, 02:30:16 am »

The one truth... drive failure is inevitable, whether through internal or human failure.  There's simply the question of how will you restore.

I've been there more than once.  It was interesting to me restoring my MacBook Pro last year how much of my data lies in online services now.  Dropbox and iCloud hold all of my documents, my photographs and video and other media all on Backblaze, in addition to local drives.  I had not done a clean install of MacOS for well over a decade, simply upgrading as I went so I took the opportunity to not do a simple Time Machine restore and instead do a clean install and let the files download from iCloud and Dropbox.   The main pain point was dealing with automation which I had to reconstruct.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2018, 10:27:58 am »

Sadly, I’ve restored from Crashplan more than once.  Happily, it succeeded each time.

My experiences with Crashplan were less satisfactory. Upload speeds were fastish, at about 15 Mb/s, at first, then incredibly slow as the backup continued. After 5 months, about halfway through a 6 TB upload, the app hung and couldn't be restarted. Uploading more data than that in a couple of weeks with Backblaze was a relief.

Jim

elliot_n

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2018, 10:43:14 am »

I also gave up on trying to upload 6TB to Crashplan - it was just too slow. I switched to Backblaze and my upload speeds were ten times faster.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 06:18:48 pm »

I set up my own offsite "cloud" backup.
I have close to 8TB I want an offsite backup of and what I did was buy a cheap external 8TB drive and used SyncToy (free download from Microsoft) to make a copy of all that data right from my PC to the external drive.
Then I took that drive to work and connected to my computer there and set up another free app called Resilio Sync. Sync uses Bit Torrent technology to sync folders across the Internet. The free version will do the trick but I upgraded for a few nice features like bandwidth throttling.
Since I had copied all my data already, it just had to index everything (took a couple of days) and now it just copies any new files or changes I make at home to the offsite drive at my office. Works great and no monthly fees!

You could also set this up at a friend's or relative's house if you have someone who could host it for you and you don't have an office outside of your home.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:34:05 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 03:59:07 am »

Matt, thanks for the link - resilio looks interesting. I have a similar setup, backing up to my mother's iMac nightly using ChronoSync as well as using Dropbox and Time Machine. Ever since I lost three weeks' work when I was an undergraduate, I've been obsessional about backups. My setup provides that within 24 hours (because I have set ChronoSync to run at 0030), anything I have done is stored on three computers' internal drives, three TM backups and in Dropbox. That satisfies even my neuroticism.

Jeremy

Joe Towner

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2018, 02:12:12 pm »

Matt's setup works, as long as folks are aware that any file overwrites & corruption on the source computer are transmitted automatically to the offsite one.  Something that allows versioning on the remote side - like anything overwritten or changed in the previous 14 days is recoverable would be huge.  Also, alerting as to a sync that didn't happen.
t: @PNWMF

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2018, 04:32:38 pm »

Matt's setup works, as long as folks are aware that any file overwrites & corruption on the source computer are transmitted automatically to the offsite one.  Something that allows versioning on the remote side - like anything overwritten or changed in the previous 14 days is recoverable would be huge.  Also, alerting as to a sync that didn't happen.

Like Jeremy I'm also a bit of a backup fanatic. I haven't lost any significant data but working in IT have seen it happen to others many times. I hate telling people their data will need to be restored from backup when I know they probably don't have one.

What I outlined was my offsite backup plan which is one component of my whole approach. I also have a home server running the open source (free) application URBackup. That backs up all the computers in my household on an ongoing basis, keeping multiple versions of changed files as well as full images to quickly recover from a drive failure. The offsite is a second line of defense in case of fire, flood or other catastrophic situation.
 8)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 04:36:00 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

Joe Towner

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2018, 04:55:32 pm »

Like Jeremy I'm also a bit of a backup fanatic. I haven't lost any significant data but working in IT have seen it happen to others many times. I hate telling people their data will need to be restored from backup when I know they probably don't have one.

What I outlined was my offsite backup plan which is one component of my whole approach. I also have a home server running the open source (free) application URBackup. That backs up all the computers in my household on an ongoing basis, keeping multiple versions of changed files as well as full images to quickly recover from a drive failure. The offsite is a second line of defense in case of fire, flood or other catastrophic situation.
 8)

Defense in depth - nicely done!
t: @PNWMF

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2018, 05:23:59 pm »

And setting the maximum change that will propagate over...

Jim

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2018, 04:18:48 am »

You're right about the utility of versioning, and that's something that ChronoSync doesn't offer (it will move deleted files to a temporary folder for a while, but that's obviously not quite the same thing). Time Machine does versioning, of course, and since there's a TM drive attached to my mother's computer (the remote backup machine) I get versioning that way. It's tricky to use unless I go round to her flat myself, of course, but it's only a mile away.

CS sends me an email after each run, listing files which have been copied or deleted; and it will email me about any sync which hasn't worked. Since I get those emails daily, I notice if they don't appear.

Thanks for that link, Matt. I'll investigate.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 03:06:53 am by Jeremy Roussak »

Farmer

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2018, 05:42:45 pm »

If you use Dropbox Plus you can enable versioning for up to 1 year.

For Crashplan users you can set quite detailed versioning, including backup frequency from every 15 minutes to once a day, then versioning allows you to set for one week, after one week, after 90 days, after a year, and deleted files with various timings (or in the case of deletions including "never").
Phil Brown
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up