Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Last swim of the day  (Read 495 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Last swim of the day
« on: July 01, 2018, 02:22:47 pm »

Large duck family on the northern end of Lake Michigan at sunset. This time, real ducks, but unfortunately also many real flies (mainly in the left upper quadrant).
In the spirit of not messing with nature, would you neutralize all the flies, or do they contribute in any way to the image?

francois

Re: Last swim of the day
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:49:15 am »

Nice sunset and excellent backdrop for these ducks. I don't think that the flies contribute positively to this shot. At the posted size, it doesn't bother me but if printed large, I guess it can be a problem (unless your shot is for a documentary, of course).
Francois

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 04:58:22 pm »

I think the top one is way out of gamut.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 06:34:09 pm »

Bob, thank you for your critique.
The sunset colors were quite intense, when I was photographing the lake sunset on June 20th around 10pm in the Upper Michigan at about 45N°. I wonder if the colors get more intense around the solstice time at that latitude.

As to the processing, I started editing the RAW image in LR, lightened it, increased slightly the saturation (by about 10-15 points), and then took the TIFF file in Prophoto mode to PS where I converted it to LAB color mode with slightly steepened A and B curves, before converting it to sRGB. This method boosts the colors quite dramatically, but it doesn't damage them as much as using the saturation sliders. I didn't change the saturation after the conversion to RGB. I didn't print the image, so I don't know how it would look in printed form, but I suspect the colors in the posted image suffered primarily by the image downrezzing from 24MP and saving it with a rather strong JPG compression (4).

What would be your recommendation in processing such an image?
Pages: [1]   Go Up