Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article - Photoshop Elements – A Quick Breakdown  (Read 1485 times)

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
New Article - Photoshop Elements – A Quick Breakdown
« on: June 29, 2018, 10:06:28 am »

Today we publish Photoshop Elements – A Quick Breakdown by Allan Derickson

michaelsh

Re: New Article - Photoshop Elements – A Quick Breakdown
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 11:43:53 am »

From the article: 'Photoshop Elements is a stripped down version of Photoshop which has some of its features removed or at least hidden and is limited in many of its tasks to 8-bit images and either sRGB or AdobeRGB color space.'

This might be a bit misleading.

I use PSE 14 and always start with 16 bit TIFFs in ProPhoto RGB. Then I do basic adjustments in PSE and final ones in Nik's Viveza
or Silver Efex (including curve adjustemts). If I then need a PSE feature that isn't available in 16 bit editing mode, I just do a conversion to 8 bit and then apply the final changes before saving.

For me that works perfectly fine - it does depend on the individual's workflow and Photoshop features needed, of course.

aderickson

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 12:10:35 pm »

Yes but the Prophoto tiff must be imported from another application, Lightroom or another raw converter or a scanner. Elements will maintain that color space after import but you cannot assign or convert to anything other than sRGB or Adobe RGG from within Elements.

Allan

michaelsh

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 12:18:05 pm »

Yes but the Prophoto tiff must be imported from another application, Lightroom or another raw converter or a scanner. Elements will maintain that color space after import but you cannot assign or convert to anything other than sRGB or Adobe RGG from within Elements.

Allan

I shoot with Sigma DP Merrills and use Sigma's SPP to convert the RAW to 16 bit TIFF and then open the TIFF in PSE.
I see your point when using PSE's ACR for RAW conversion (ACR, I should add, doesn't work with Sigma's X3F raws).

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up