Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Our future leaders?  (Read 5363 times)

Redcrown

Our future leaders?
« on: June 27, 2018, 03:30:07 pm »

This from a 70 yo Boomer, so consider the context...

Took 3 grand daughters to the Dairy Queen. Hot but pleasant summer night, just after sundown when all the baseball and soccer games end, so people flood to the DQ. It's a quintessential American experience.

I was surprised that the crowd was not that bad. About 10 inside the store, another 10 or so on the picnic tables outside. Got our orders in under 10 minutes and joined the picnic crown. It was then that I noticed the drive-up queue was wrapped around the block. I counted 17 vehicles, all with kids, and all the kids were staring downward at a glowing screen. Even the ones in car seats were driving distracted.

The outside kids were running all around, making lots of noise, meeting each other, petting dogs. In another hour they would be freshly washed, tucked in bed, and dreaming of things that don't glow in the dark.

The car kids? I don't know what's going to happen to them.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Our future leaders?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 03:35:30 pm »

One group will be the other group's employers...Not sure which group that will be!

Peter
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:34:24 pm by petermfiore »

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 11:08:10 am »

Our future leaders are in Russia

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 11:15:15 am »

Are you sure? I didn't know they spoke Spanish over there.

:-)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 02:56:04 pm »

Alan, neither of the two links you have posted has the slightest connection to the topic; and the Washington Post link lies behind a paywall. This is a discussion forum. Try to stay at least a little bit relevant.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 02:57:28 pm »

Alan, do you realize that you're posting stuff from The Washington Post, an outfit that's so convinced it's valuable that it insists on charging you to read its fake news? And your other post is from The New Yorker, which is on the same level of veracity as Time magazine.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:02:17 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Two23

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 06:28:12 pm »

And your other post is from The New Yorker, which is on the same level of veracity as Time magazine.

I put both on the level of Pravda, actually.  As for leaders, it does worry me that more and more people seem to fixate on their phones and rarely interact with those around them.  Not only could valuable social skills be lost, but also the sort of empathy & wisdom that comes from random engagements with others.  In its place is a culture of myopia and dare I say, narcissism.  While teenagers, my wife and I enforced no-phone weekends and vacations for the entire family (with exception of actual phone calls.)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 06:44:09 pm »

Alan, do you realize that you're posting stuff from The Washington Post, an outfit that's so convinced it's valuable that it insists on charging you to read its fake news?
Yeah!  :o
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 06:51:40 pm »

The OP starts with a social observation and the usual suspects jump at the opportunity to litter yet another thread with irrelevant political crap. They are in such a hurry that they don't even bother proofreading.

churly

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 08:50:42 pm »

And out jump the usual suspects to give a poke with a stick.  It is getting rather old.  Does increasing the present polarity really help?  But then it is rather more difficult to actually do or say something constructive than enjoy the sport of polarzed rhetoric.  Oh yes I know - if you don't like it, don't read it but personally I don't think ignoring issues resolves much of anything.
Chuck Hurich

Two23

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 11:55:09 pm »

Four summers ago it was my turn to pick what to do for summer vacation.  I chose riding the VIA train first class across southern Canada!  My wife was on board with the idea (pardon the pun,) but my two kids (16 & 20) were horrified!  Stuck on a train for three days? :o  My youngest son he'd just spend the entire time on his computer, and I dropped the bombshell--no wifi on the train. ;D  My oldest son laughed and said he could get wifi through his phone.  I didn't tell him his phone wouldn't work in Canada. :)  I began telling my oldest son that this was a first class luxury train, and it had a HOT TUB car!  It was a long hot tub in a car lined with panoramic windows, and after 10pm it was clothing optional.  Rumor was it would be full of naked French college girls that had nothing to do.  After he heard that he was looking forward to the trip!  On boarding the train the first thing he asked the conductor was where the hot tub car was.  I was standing just around the corner and could clearly hear him hollering, "DAD!  We took the wrong train--this one doesn't have a hot tub!"  I'm still laughing about this as I write. ;D  As it turned out both sons had to entertain themselves by talking to fellow passengers they met and actually watching all the scenery go by (that we paid a lot of money for!)  My youngest son is now living in Redmond, WA and just a few weeks ago said he was thinking of coming back home to visit and taking the train instead of a plane this time.  I asked him why, and he said a lot of interesting people take the train and unlike a plane you can talk to them.  So, I think there is hope. :)

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 04:01:54 am »

Four summers ago it was my turn to pick what to do for summer vacation...

Nice story - and, mirabile dictu, relevant to the topic! Congratulations.

Jeremy

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 06:19:05 am »

And out jump the usual suspects to give a poke with a stick.  It is getting rather old.  Does increasing the present polarity really help?  But then it is rather more difficult to actually do or say something constructive than enjoy the sport of polarzed rhetoric.  Oh yes I know - if you don't like it, don't read it but personally I don't think ignoring issues resolves much of anything.

+1

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2018, 07:03:21 am »

How about some comments on the original post??? And we can un-hijack this thread! We are now at the point where all topics turn to crap.

Peter

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 11:59:41 am »

How about some comments on the original post??? And we can un-hijack this thread! We are now at the point where all topics turn to crap.

Peter
+1 but it is the Coffee Corner. As such, I'll state I prefer Sonic to DQ (for those who live in the US where Sonic's are found). Specifically their Real Banana Milkshakes.

Redcrown

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2018, 12:15:19 pm »

An update from the OP...

I posted this DQ observation on a local forum. Got a reply from a guy who owns 3 DQ stores here in Iowa. One store in the big city, 2 stores in smaller towns. He said he has a problem hiring kids to work the stores, but only in the big city. No problem in the small towns. Most hires are 16 to 18 years old.

Working a DQ during the rush is a tough job. You have to hustle and keep hustling for hours. He said only 1 out of 3 big city kids can cut it. Most fail on their first shift, and don't come back. The keeper rate for small town kids is about 80%.

He said he thinks part of the difference may be that, for the small town kids, there are few alternatives for "inside" work. Working the DQ is hard, but it's clean work, in air conditioning. Beats farm work, landscaping, construction. Big city kids have a thousand strip malls to hunt, with stores that only get 10 customers per hour.

He added that his best workers are girls from a basketball team. They know how to move fast through small crowded spaces.

James Clark

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2018, 01:04:56 pm »

+1 but it is the Coffee Corner. As such, I'll state I prefer Sonic to DQ (for those who live in the US where Sonic's are found). Specifically their Real Banana Milkshakes.

You’ve got good taste in politicians but your taste in fast food dessert is woeful.  :D. Also, bananas are not dessert anyway.  Nasty. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2018, 01:13:16 pm »

You’ve got good taste in politicians but your taste in fast food dessert is woeful.  :D . Also, bananas are not dessert anyway.  Nasty.
I respect your subjective opinion about fast food desserts. I respect your disapproval of bananas in milkshakes. We don't agree, that's fine. I used to like Sonic's Pineapple Milkshakes but the only one's they make with real, fresh fruit is with Bananas. Further, they use real Ice Cream or so they say and it sure tastes like it. DQ? I don't think so.
FWIW, Milkshakes and rarely, an order of Onion Rings is all I'll order at Sonic and this is only when on 'road trips'. Here in Santa Fe, we have three Sonic's and I think two DQ's and I never go; we have much better places to eat thankfully!
Don't like Bananas Foster? A photo (not mine):
Edit: In an attempt at being constructive in the Coffee Corner and for those who do like Bananas and like to bake, this is a winner and goes very, very well with coffee:

Ultimate Banana Bread: Cooks Illustrated
MAKES ONE 9-INCH LOAF
Be sure to use very ripe, heavily speckled (or even black) bananas in this recipe. This recipe can be made using 5 thawed frozen bananas; since they release a lot of liquid naturally, they can bypass the microwaving in step 2 and go directly into the fine-mesh strainer. Do not use a thawed frozen banana in step 4; it will be too soft to slice. Instead, simply sprinkle the top of the loaf with sugar. The test kitchen’s preferred loaf pan measures 8½ by 4½ inches; if you use a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan, start checking for doneness five minutes earlier than advised in the recipe. The texture is best when the loaf is eaten fresh, but it can be stored (cool completely first), covered tightly with plastic wrap, for up to 3 days.

1 3/4
cups (8 3/4 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon table salt

6 large very ripe bananas (about 2 1/4 pounds), peeled (see note)

8 tablespoons (1 stick)
unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly

2 large eggs

3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) packed light brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)

2 teaspoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon Allspice

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8½ by 4½-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in large bowl.

2. Place 5 bananas in microwave-safe bowl; cover with plastic wrap and cut several steam vents in plastic with paring knife. Microwave on high power until bananas are soft and have released liquid, about 5 minutes. Transfer bananas to fine-mesh strainer placed over medium bowl and allow to drain, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes (you should have ½ to ¾ cup liquid).

3. Transfer liquid to medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until reduced to ¼ cup, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, stir reduced liquid into bananas, and mash with potato masher until fairly smooth. Whisk in butter, eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla.

4. Pour banana mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined with some streaks of flour remaining. Gently fold in walnuts, if using. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Slice remaining banana diagonally into ¼-inch-thick slices. Shingle banana slices on top of either side of loaf, leaving 1½-inch-wide space down center to ensure even rise. Sprinkle granulated sugar evenly over loaf. 

5. Bake until toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean, 55 to 75 minutes. Cool bread in pan on wire rack 15 minutes, then remove loaf from pan and continue to cool on wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:23:04 pm by digitaldog »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up