Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: David Goldblatt  (Read 1731 times)

Rob C

David Goldblatt
« on: June 25, 2018, 01:27:15 pm »

Famed SA photographer passes away.

And so the giants fade...

RIP

Rob
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 04:38:20 pm by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: David Goldblatt
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 02:30:27 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 05:52:25 am »

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 10:29:40 am »

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 06:07:18 am »

Very sad. Met him years ago and I’m fortunate to have a signed first edition of his Boksburg book. He was very active when th projects until quite recently.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 07:59:23 am »

No disrespect, but I feel ever more sure of being one of the last remaining white rhinos. Not a good place for the mind. But what are you gonna do?

:-(

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 09:11:13 am »

Just returned from the David Goldblatt Peter Magubane exhition in Johannesburg. Really he was a formidable photographer. I found the work of both photographers to be very powerful.

Couldn’t help comparing the experience to my visit to the Johannesburg Art Gallery last week to look at the work of Wolfgang Tillmans. I really struggled to understand and come to terms with that work.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 11:14:10 am »

Just returned from the David Goldblatt Peter Magubane exhition in Johannesburg. Really he was a formidable photographer. I found the work of both photographers to be very powerful.

Couldn’t help comparing the experience to my visit to the Johannesburg Art Gallery last week to look at the work of Wolfgang Tillmans. I really struggled to understand and come to terms with that work.

https://www.harvardartmuseums.org/article/a-conversation-with-wolfgang-tillmans

If you had done anything but struggle it would have been more remarkable.

I look at this stuff, and at similar, and all that comes to me is a sense of anger - mine.

There is so much talent in this world, but this gets the space...

Even worse than the visual assault is the accompanying copy which I think, if I may say so, takes one for an idiot.

All opinion, of course, and many think it wonderful art; who's to say they are mistaken?

Then I imagine this pair breeding:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&source=hp&ei=pCp8W8LbHIOMrwTEl4eABg&q=rineke+dijkistra+imagenes&oq=rineke+dijkistra+imagenes&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.3..30i10.2703.26795..27428...1.0..0.135.2854.6j20......0....1.......3..0j41j46j0i22i30j0i13j0i13i30j46i13j0i22i10i30j33i10i21j33i10i160.NS61Tc9xAJA#imgrc=CVSNzjxLbtPXAM:

Creativity overload.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 11:39:02 am »

I really do my best not to disparage work I don’t understand but I find myself biting my tongue a little over some work Rob.

I meet once a month with a three other photographers all who have had successful exhibitions. We discuss our own work and get feedback and constructive criticism from each other. It is very useful. Work like Tillman’s provokes fierce debate.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 12:39:48 pm »

Martin, being able to visit these galleries is probably the only thing I long for to be in the big cities for in our country. You are fortunate in that regard.

The first time I saw and experienced live clasical music was when the KZN Philharmonic Orchestra did a country tour to Mkhuze. I was in awe..to see and hear Strauss's Keizerwals being performed there under a fever tree gave me goosebumps. It would be the same to see David or Peter's work firsthand and not on some screen.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 12:46:39 pm »

Indeed Riaan, everything has a cost though doesn’t it. I have three Goldblatt books. One is a first edition signed by the photographer edition of “In Boksburg”. I would recommend his books. Not a print it’s true but very beautifully produced and better than a screen.

I was not a big fan of Peter Magubane. Well of his images I mean, I met him several times and he is a lovely man. Today I felt embarrassed by my previous views. Perhaps I had seen poor examples of his work or perhaps I was just an asshole because I thought his work was strong, beautiful and sensitive.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 02:00:04 pm »

How privileged you are to have met Peter..I am jealous!

The closest I'll get to galleries are the books that have been left by a dear friend with me for safekeeping, a few Lucien Clergue's, a Newton or two and some Haskins publications. Interesting that the Haskins ones were banned at that stage and my friend endured a few raids on his house with security police knocking frequently at his door.

The same police that my dad was part of for thirty years, the same police who probably were responsible for locking up Peter Magubane for his pictures..and here I have these books in my posession and no one cares.

Pages: [1]   Go Up