Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon PRO-1000 problem - Lost PGY channel  (Read 2158 times)

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
Canon PRO-1000 problem - Lost PGY channel
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:09:12 pm »

My PRO-1000 lost the PGY channel mid-print. I immediately noticed the banding (picture of the print attached. It started where the red arrow points). After the print I printed the nozzle check pattern and the PGY channel was completely missing. I run two print head cleanings and one deep print head cleaning with no result. Any ideas?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Canon PRO-1000 problem - Lost PGY channel
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 12:44:19 pm »

Call tech support.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:38:09 pm »

Call tech support.
Thanks! I will do that first thing in the morning. Just as a follow up I run another nozzle check an hour after the incident and the PGY channel appeared partially (40% of the grid, scattered). I run a second one and it disappeared again.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 03:43:50 pm »

Never saw that with the period of time I had that printer. IF it behaves anything like Epson printers in this respect (maybe it does maybe it doesn't), leaving the printer unused over night after cleaning may help settle everything and getting the ink to fill right through. If that doesn't work I think your best option is tech support.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 03:56:15 pm »

Never saw that with the period of time I had that printer. IF it behaves anything like Epson printers in this respect (maybe it does maybe it doesn't), leaving the printer unused over night after cleaning may help settle everything and getting the ink to fill right through. If that doesn't work I think your best option is tech support.
I have already asked for help and I am waiting response. In the meanwhile I searched the web and I found another incident of this behavior. Two A2 prints fine and during the third, as my occasion, after starting fine a channel quits as reported here:
http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/Imageprograf-1000-clogging/td-p/217181

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 02:32:32 am »

Update:

After 12 hours from the clog I made a simple print head cleaning and the nozzle pattern came out perfect. I printed the file I posted in the OP and it clogged again completely during the print (after that attempt nothing printed on the PGY nozzle pattern). Then I performed a system cleaning (the heaviest one which send a lot of ink in the maintenance tank) and the clog cleared. The print came out fine. The nozzle pattern is perfect. Everything seems to work right.

So despite all the preemptive cleanings (and all the ink wasted in those cleanings) PRO-1000 still clogs and it clogs badly even during print.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 03:26:56 am »

The tech support (email) responded. Some interesting info:

-If it doesn't clean with the routines from the printer menu the print head must be replaced (no surprise on that). But usually some error code is shown when the print head closes to the end of it's life.
-The more the printer is used the more the print head last.
-There is no a specific amount of time or use after which the print head must be replaced.
-From his long time experience in Canon wide format printing the usual print head life is around two years but this is not written anywhere and when I asked him if that observation includes the latest generation of Canon printers (PRO-1000-6000) he didn't respond further.

Terry_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 01:52:31 pm »

After 12 hours from the clog I made a simple print head cleaning and the nozzle pattern came out perfect. I printed the file I posted in the OP and it clogged again completely during the print (after that attempt nothing printed on the PGY nozzle pattern). Then I performed a system cleaning (the heaviest one which send a lot of ink in the maintenance tank) and the clog cleared. The print came out fine. The nozzle pattern is perfect. Everything seems to work right.

If this was an Epson, I'd suspect a bad damper (starving the head of ink) or air getting into the line somewhere. On older Epsons (before pressurized ink lines), I would use a syringe and some rubber tubing, disconnect the ink line from the damper and connect it to the tubing, and pull the ink through by pulling the syringe plunger out. This let me prime the line or lines (up to the dampers) and check for air bubbles, without pumping lots of ink through the head and into the maintenance tank. It also let me prime a single line if needed. CAUTION: All of this is probably specific to older Epson printers.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 02:21:32 am »

If this was an Epson, I'd suspect a bad damper (starving the head of ink) or air getting into the line somewhere. On older Epsons (before pressurized ink lines), I would use a syringe and some rubber tubing, disconnect the ink line from the damper and connect it to the tubing, and pull the ink through by pulling the syringe plunger out. This let me prime the line or lines (up to the dampers) and check for air bubbles, without pumping lots of ink through the head and into the maintenance tank. It also let me prime a single line if needed. CAUTION: All of this is probably specific to older Epson printers.
Thanks for the input. I wouldn't try that to the specific printer. The ink feeding system is complicated. For example there are small chambers after the ink cartridges that are used to automatically agitate the ink in specific time intervals (every 3-4 days).
Pages: [1]   Go Up