Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the next big thing . . .  (Read 2281 times)

Colorado David

What's the next big thing . . .
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:14:58 pm »

from Nikon? I want the D850 and several colleagues of mine are using it and love it. I just think, I haven't bought it yet and we're a year in, I don't have to have one, what if I skip it and wait for the next big thing? I know it's an awesome camera body. I don't follow the rumor sites so I don't know what people are talking about. Who has any thoughts on what Nikon brings to market next? I'd like to see 8K video using the full sensor for one thing. A nice 100MP sensor would be nice. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 11:44:08 pm by Colorado David »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: What's the newt big thing . . .
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:03:06 am »

from Nikon? I want the D850 and several colleagues of mine are using it and love it. I just think, I haven't bought it yet and we're a year in, I don't have to have one, what if I skip it and wait for the next big thing? I know it's an awesome camera body. I don't follow the rumor sites so I don't know what people are talking about. Who has any thoughts on what Nikon brings to market next? I'd like to see 8K video using the full sensor for one thing. A nice 100MP sensor would be nice. Any thoughts?

Nobody knows for sure, but my view is the following:
0. The D850 is indeed an amazing combination of image quality, best Nikon colors ever, AF on static and moving subjects, usability, rugedness,... it feels like the last DSLR anyone would ever need especially when used in combination with the latest Nikon glass,
1. I don't expect any significant new high end DSLR from Nikon in the coming year. The D850 is by far the best there is, the only camera in the same ballpark being the a7rIII,
2. My guess is that we will have a Nikon FF mirrorless body with a new mount announced in the coming 2 months, but I believe it will be lower resolution than the D850, this is just a guess of course,
3. I'd be surprised if Nikon made any major move in video with 8K support this year. I would rather consider Panasonic/Sony/Canon for video applications since these 3 companies have been investing a lot more. The GH5 seems to be the favorite at the moment and the first GH6 rumors are showing up, so we may have a year end announcement. Sony has the most versatile platform with both very good still and very good video. Canon has a great video AF solution but seems to be lacking a bit in video image quality and is of course still behind in still.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 12:31:32 am by BernardLanguillier »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 12:58:12 am »

I don’t expect a high resolution DSLR camera from Nikon this year... the D850 was just lunched... probably it will take some years until we see the replacement. They need to recover the investment on it.

It will take some time until we see a 100 MP sensor in a 35 mm camera, something higher that 45 - 50 in the next year... maybe... but the first 100 MP sensor for the reduced medium format size like in the Fuji GFX system will be released this year... and also, I don’t think manufacturers are in a hurry, both Nikon and Sony seems to be selling very well their D850 and A7r III. Mayb Canon does something with their 5Dr series, but I didn’t hear too much rumors.

Nikon was never very interested in video, so I don’t see a 8k camera soon for them in DSLR format.

If the rumored mirrorless system from Nikon comes out this year. I will expect that it comes with more focus on video, I will be surprised if it is bigger than 4K, although if they do something like 6k, that will be a good selling point.

Regards,

David

http://dgpfotografia.com

Herbc

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 10:09:01 am »

Being a certified gear head, I have resisted the newest from my main camera, Sony, and failed to respond to the siren call of Fuji Medium format.
The reason?  Finally decided to make prints of the bazillion shots that are waiting, and get back to Platinum palladium finally.  It has been difficult to resist the best one out there, but I think I have managed it.

D76

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 12:36:47 pm »

Whatever it is you want, I wouldn't wait too long to grab it.  I just read this morning that SCOTUS upheld the rights of states to levy sales tax on out-of-state purchases (i.e., internet).  My state (California) won't waste any time in constructing a method to force B&H in New York to collect our ridiculous tax.  Those days of on-line purchases are almost over.

fredjeang2

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 02:53:53 pm »

Canon has a great video AF solution but seems to be lacking a bit in video image quality and is of course still behind in still.

Cheers,
Bernard
Canon has always been very protective with their different business.
They never really unlocked the full potential of video capture in their dslrs not to canibalise their high-end video gear.
Basically, their message was: if the photojournalist needs 4k capture for dispaches, we give it, with some limitations.
If they want to broadcast or serious motion work, we have better devices for that.
Panasonic, like Canon, being also present in high-end video industry, made the opposite choice,
Considering both markets not targeting the same clients.
Sony stood in between Canon and Panasonic: we unlock the low-end market but not completly.(8 bit vs 10). Sony also has
A big line of high-end video and cine gear, competing with Red, Blackmagic and Arri.
The Canon way of thinking has been annoying many people among its users.
Actually, here, all (and when I say all it is really the case) my Canon user friends have switched to Sony FF.
I think this over protective politics is costing a lot to Canon, strangely pioneer in dslr video, but then they panic.

The case of Nikon regarding video is more understandable. Nikon does not have an high-end dept for motion capture. They don't have experience in this field. They've been focussed on still imagery.
The prblem is that when they enabled video capture, it was so badly implemented
That it looked disrespectfull. For ex the crop factor, etc...
I don't think Nikon can produce on its own a high-end video device. They will need some sort of collaboration,
Just like Leica has with Pana.
Moreover, I agree with Bernard. Nikon's business is still, not video, and in this, they excell.
Since the D2s, Nikon has been (IMO) the top system for still imagery, with Leica.

It's a very competitive market. People want more for less. Even if the Nikon shooter will hardly use video
Professionally, except maybe for wedings, users are looking at the offers, and they see the Sony, lighter, smaller, sophisticated, good video capture etc....they look at the prices,
And they switch. (Last month Sony were out of stock, with an average of 3 weeks waiting list.)

Who hasn't thought about the ”if I’. I don't shoot video, but...what if I need/want it in the future? What are the brand I can trust which offer both good still/video capture without breaking the bank?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:43:55 pm by fredjeang2 »

Colorado David

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 04:48:33 pm »

My business is primarily video production. I have thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of Sony and Panasonic equipment that will never be used again. Too bad. I'm hopeful I can continue to use other gear as long as possible. I have been shooting my 4K video with the Nikon D500. I am feeling some pressure to be ready to move to yet higher resolution video even though this client doesn't currently have any higher res outlet for it. Here is a link to a self-funded video of mine if you have fifteen minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=dOH7crN1tC0

ShawnBK

Re: What's the next big thing . . .
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 03:27:17 pm »

Just saw your video as linked by u. I'm so glad I spent time to watch it, loved it, photography, content, storyline,... Our school system may be one additional outlet too. Good luck to you & your future endeavors. Congratulations David!!

Colorado David

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 02:12:04 am »

Thank you Shawn. I hope to do more episodes. My hope is to produce episode 2 on the Zebulon Pike expedition.

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 09:21:45 am »

My one thought, from a non-video-centric amateur photographer:
Plan on buying a new computer to go with the hypothesized 100 MP body!   ;)
This advice is from someone who remembers using punch cards.....Truly, the riches available to us right now (say, the  D850) were unimaginable "back then".

rdonson

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 10:32:35 am »

You might consider drone video.  Over the next month we'll see a number of new drone models sporting 1" sensors (Sony) that produce good 4K video.  Depending on your needs Yuneec and DJI will be leading the charge here with others close behind. 
Regards,
Ron

mbaginy

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 03:04:04 pm »

Here is a link to a self-funded video of mine if you have fifteen minutes.
A wonderful video, David! Expertly produced with interesting narration, truly an experience watching it. Thanks for the link!

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 05:23:49 pm »

Since no-one has mentioned Kodak's pending revival of Ektachrome 100…

:)

-Dave-

(I'll most certainly try it out!)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 09:42:54 pm »

Those days of on-line purchases are almost over.
That is the funniest thing I have heard in a while.
What is the US rate? I don't think that it is even 10%.
In Australia we have had 10% for years and many countries have 15%.
People buy from B&H because they actually have what you want and will ship it anywhere.

Personally I don't know what the next big thing will be but I doubt it is really expensive 35mm cameras.
Law of diminishing returns. For sports pros yes but for some people prepared to spend real money on a camera a Hasselblad at the same price as a Nikon or Canon is pretty attractive.
I see the medium range as being the Cikon target and phones replacing the low end.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Colorado David

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 01:34:55 am »

I didn’t post my video link to fish for compliments, but thank you very much. I’ve been doing video professionally for years using dedicated video equipment, but I’m of the mind that still and video are on converging trajectories. I want to be able to use quality glass that I already own. I’m leaning towards the D850 more all the time.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2018, 03:42:56 am »

I didn’t post my video link to fish for compliments ...
But still: very good Video! thanks for posting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up