Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exposure Fusion Software Recommendations  (Read 2162 times)

Brad P

Exposure Fusion Software Recommendations
« on: June 19, 2018, 02:02:54 am »

Hi

I just migrated from Mac to Windows (couldn't wait any longer for the next gen Mac Pro).  I'm reinstalling my all software now.  I've been through the HDR programs before and don't like the tone mapping results, but I've had success with LR Enfuse in the past but have never had the feeling it was the best.   I saw an old post where Bart van der Wolf said he was using SNS HDR, and Bart in my experience is pretty darn thorough.  But the post was 5 years ago and, well, things change.   

I know . . . demo.  But in advance looking for some steers on what to demo from those who already have recently.

Thanks
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 03:24:59 am by Brad Paulson »

rdonson

Re: Exposure Fusion Software Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 10:41:29 am »

IMHO I'm not sure there is a BEST these day.  Many of them are very good.  I've tried a lot of the pieces of software and for me it comes down to which one gets you the best results.  That is often influenced by the UI and the workflow in the app and how comfortable you are with those qualities.  While I own several for me I still use Photomatix Pro 6 the most.  I'm sure there are many who will disagree and think I'm nuts but I think the tech is out there and the best one is what works best in your hands.
Regards,
Ron

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 11:28:53 am »

I'm also not a fan of the tone mapping look. I have found Lightroom 6 does a good enough job to just combine the files and if I leave the Auto Tone checkbox unchecked, I can tune it to my needs and create something I can get the look I like with. I also like the output being a dng file.
I have no idea what the "best" is but this suits my workflow and lets me get the natural look I like.
-MattB

Brad P

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 01:31:19 pm »

I’ll check that out in LR - forgot they announced that feature.   Thanks

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 07:05:28 pm »

Also, if you are wanting a "natural look", and are not in a hurry, it's hard to beat brushing on masks in Photoshop. I've sometimes used Enfuse to get me started and then put the other images on top to brush back what I wanted.
Tony Kuyper's luminosity panel makes this a breeze.
David

Brad P

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 07:12:03 pm »

Hey now, that’s MY technique!   ;)

I actually often nowadays bring the originals into photoshop with the enfused image, using it as a base layer, and with luminosity masks brush parts of the originals back in too at low opacity.

It does help a lot to have a good enfused base layer though.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 08:25:13 pm »

Hi

I just migrated from Mac to Windows (couldn't wait any longer for the next gen Mac Pro).  I'm reinstalling my all software now.  I've been through the HDR programs before and don't like the tone mapping results, but I've had success with LR Enfuse in the past but have never had the feeling it was the best.   I saw an old post where Bart van der Wolf said he was using SNS HDR, and Bart in my experience is pretty darn thorough.  But the post was 5 years ago and, well, things change.   

I know . . . demo.  But in advance looking for some steers on what to demo from those who already have recently.

Thanks

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the kind words, but I've not found anything better yet (and not for my lack of trying). Which is partly amazing, and partly a testament to the quality of what Sebastian (a small, 1 person initiative) has achieved without a huge commercial agenda.

SNS-HDR usually (too?, easily) produces superior quality images, with additional controls. As I mentioned before, I often wonder: is that all it takes to produce a realistic rendering of a challenging scene? And that is even before one applies any of the multitude of adjustment options.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Brad P

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 11:30:10 pm »

Thanks Bart, I will demo it tonight on a particularly difficult set of images.  Seems like a reasonable price if it works well. 

kirkt

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 10:20:24 am »

Am I correct in assuming that, when you say "Exposure Fusion" software, you do not need 32bit per channel output as part of your workflow?  In other words, you are simply looking to blend exposures instead of using an HDR workflow?

kirk
Pages: [1]   Go Up