Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 12 TBSP of olive oil per day  (Read 8087 times)

texshooter

12 TBSP of olive oil per day
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:25:59 pm »

Dr. Steven Gundry, a world-renown heart surgeon and author of The Plant Paradox, advocates drinking 12 Tablespoons (1,428 calories) of olive oil every day for optimal health.  Sounds preposterous to me. Are there any disciples here of this maverick scientist/doctor? Or is he just another fly-by-night huckster?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Awm2vwXrTH0&t=10s

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:54:47 pm by texshooter »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: 12 TBSP of olive oil per day
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:13:20 pm »

In contrast to Dr. Grundy, Dr. Esselstyn, a renown cardiologist (medical consultant to Bill Clinton) said that the olive oil similar to many other oils delivers mainly empty calories and hardly any nutrients.
In addition, there are many different grades of olive oil. Refined oil, virgin oil, and extra virgin oil. And a few other grades, not even fit for human consumption. Any olive oil you buy in North America is a far cry from freshly squeezed olive oil in Greece, devoid of or containing only a miniscule amount of any essential nutrients. Furthermore, even the best olive oils rapidly deteriotate in quality and become rancid and harmful. If you want olive nutrients and other benefits, buy real olives not olive oil.

Personally, I stopped using any oils for cooking or for salad dressings six years ago and don't suffer any ailments or withdrawal symptoms. I don't take any medications and my cholesterol level, blood pressure, and all esential minerals are all in normal range. I don't get any cravings for oils or fried meals, although occasionally I treat myself to dark chocolate.

There are conflicting theories about consumption and benefits of olive oil. Proponents of Mediterranean diet like to point out that olive oil is essential ingredient in that diet. In reality, the high life expectancy of Greeks can be attributed more to their relaxed life style and large consumption of fruits and vegetables than to actual olive oil. There is plenty of online information from both camps endorsing or rejecting olive oil, often completely contradicting the opposing theories, so it's best to spend some time educating yourself and making your own decisions.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 09:20:20 pm »

Or is he just another fly-by-night huckster?
Yes.
The Mediterranean diet is more fakery. Turns out the important ingredient in it is having money:
https://qz.com/1305718/the-science-behind-the-mediterranean-diet-might-be-flawed-thanks-to-a-retraction-of-a-major-study/

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 01:34:33 am »

Looks like a gimmick to me. 1400+ calories per day amounts to most of what someone should be ingesting. I personally aim at minimizing carbohydrate (mainly bread) intake in favor of veggies and lean meats. A cup of plain yogurt rather than a bagel. A shot of tequila or bourbon rather than a glass of beer.  :)

-Dave-

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:55:43 am »

Lots of different foods in moderation is the best policy.  We are eating lots of greens these days as our farm share is delivering them every Wednesday (I'm stuffing arugula on almost everything this week)!!!!

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 08:22:58 am »

It's attributed to Michael Pollan, but it's been said by many and it makes more sense than any single-issue obsessive can ever make:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Jeremy

scotto

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:52:04 pm »

Count me as a skeptic.

From the video, "... not all calories are created equal. ..." Yes and no. The nutrient density of foods varies greatly (yes), but eat too much and you gain weight and too little and you'll lose weight, regardless of the food choices (no). I think 1400+ extra calories of oil means something has to give elsewhere. I would think there are 1400 calories of much more nutrient dense foods one could eat rather than olive oil, thinking in opportunity cost terms.

I'm generally skeptical of folks with diet books and expensive supplements. If you're eating well, you should need a minimal amount of supplements, vitamin-D in latitudes beyond 40 degrees during half the year, b-12 (even for those who eat meat and eggs, etc), and iodine being the most likely candidates.

Here are a couple of videos related to his book and lectin elimination diet:

The Plant Paradox is Wrong.

Are lectins in food good or bad for you?

Best regards

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2018, 04:16:45 pm »

Important to note that Gundy sells among other things Lectin Shield pills (for only $79.95 a month) that promise "pleasant bathroom visits".
To benefit from all his supplements and pills it will costs you only $10,000 a year.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 05:11:33 pm »

Dr. Steven Gundry, a world-renown heart surgeon and author of The Plant Paradox, advocates drinking 12 Tablespoons (1,428 calories) of olive oil every day for optimal health. 

If I were drinking that much oil I would not want to stray far from a john.

And remember, just because someone is a skilled surgeon does not mean he knows squat about anything else. Just think of Ben Carson!

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 05:35:32 pm »

As a matter of fact, most MD's know very little about nutrition.

Medical students are still getting less than 20 hours of nutrition education over 4 years, and even most of that has limited clinical relevance. Thirty years ago, only 37 percent of medical schools had a single course in nutrition. According to the most recent national survey, that number has since dropped to 27 percent. And, it gets even worse after students graduate.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/06/08/how-much-nutrition-education-do-doctors-get/

Tony Jay

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 06:33:46 pm »

As a matter of fact, most MD's know very little about nutrition.

https://nutritionfacts.org/2017/06/08/how-much-nutrition-education-do-doctors-get/
As a physician I would agree with you...

I would also go on to add that this forum, in particular, is no place to try and get clarity on advice about diet and nutrition...

Tony Jay

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 06:43:28 pm »

Maybe not the best place to get clarity on diet and nutrition, just a warning not to trust all conventional medical recommendations.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 07:32:52 pm by LesPalenik »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2018, 08:54:29 pm »

I would also go on to add that this forum, in particular, is no place to try and get clarity on advice about diet and nutrition...
I would add finance, politics or even photography.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2018, 10:17:39 pm »

I corrected the original image, now it contains fewer calories.

Tony Jay

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2018, 04:31:20 am »

I would add finance, politics or even photography.
At least most people participating would know something about a discussion (argument) about photography...

The OP has asked the blind to lead the blind!

stamper

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2018, 05:26:11 am »

Nobody has mentioned the fact that the oil is high in fat which may alarm some people? Personally I think the fat is good for you but not in the amount of oil recommended. I used to take a tablespoonful but I now prefer a table spoonful of coconut oil.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2018, 08:29:49 am »

It's attributed to Michael Pollan, but it's been said by many and it makes more sense than any single-issue obsessive can ever make:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Jeremy

+1

texshooter

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2018, 12:08:59 pm »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2018, 01:16:33 pm »

You might be killing yourself doing that . . .

It's quite important, I think, to bear in mind that overall mortality is, always has been and always will be 100%.

Jeremy

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2018, 02:00:59 pm »

One spoon of coconut oil or twelve spoons of olive oil a day and you'll be soon part of that statistic.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up