Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minibus Taxi  (Read 5644 times)

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
Re: Minibus Taxi
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2018, 04:06:42 pm »

Martin, I would not have intuited anything ominous from your original image. But I can understand how it might immediately resonate with SA/Johannesburg viewers. My wife has a long-time friend who moved to South Africa with her Italian husband, both to teach. They have two children (young men, now), born and raised there. Each year she creates a "Christmas letter" for friends and family in Canada and elsewhere in the world. Each year there is at least one mention of  a break-in, or mugging, attempted car-jacking or threat that her family/friends/colleagues have experienced (fortunately, not with any serious consequences for her family so far). She mentions them casually, without emotion, matter-of-fact. We read them with alarm, and wonder why she stays. But there are things she loves about where she lives, and she has no plans to move, or buy a flame-throwing Mercedes.

Tony Jay

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2018, 07:09:57 pm »

Where you live has no bearing on the photograph Martin. Same as having had to climb a mountain and nearly freezing to death to take a pic of a pretty sunset has on the pic of that sunset The viewer doesn't care.
Have to agree with Martin here...

Riaan, your example here just does not stack up since the photographer freezing to death is NOT the subject of the image (unless that was what was shot, of course!)

However, the minibuses in Martin's image are the express subject of the image, and given the non-universal implications of those vehicles on a road in urban South Africa as opposed to the same vehicles on a road in Europe or North America, an explanation is definitely in order.

The fact is that as a South African I don't need the explanation, but everyone else would...

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2018, 12:58:41 am »

In other words you don't really have an example. It's just a feeling.

Well you asked for that Russ. It’s like your definition of street, sort of a feeling
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:45 am »

It’s good to see a de South Africans getting involved. We have some stunning landscapes and a treasure trove of possibilities regarding street photography whatever that may be (SPWTMB). Wildlife pretty good as well I would say.

I’m also enjoying the input from people who don’t have English as a first language and from people that are not from Europe and North America. Gives a different point of view.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2018, 10:28:48 am »

You entirely missed my point and quoted a single line out of context. The point of the thread, and the image, for me was to attempt to illustrate how different cultures read different events and objects differently due to context and life experiences. Anyone who hasn’t had to contend with taxis in Joburg is unlikely to understand their cultural significance. If a photograph was made essentially to speak to a Joburg audience then less has to be said or shown because we can assume the audience will understand better what is implied and needs less to be directly shown. I assume from you name, perhaps incorrectly that you understand what makes people in Joburg tense about taxis. 

It’s actually interesting because to me this is so obvious as to be self evident yet so many disagree with me. Who knew?

Martin, I am South African and still see this only as a photo of a taxi in lovely hazy sunlight, cultural significance or not. I realy don't know what else I am supposed to see.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2018, 10:38:49 am »

Martin, I am South African and still see this only as a photo of a taxi in lovely hazy sunlight, cultural significance or not. I realy don't know what else I am supposed to see.

Then see that. No problem.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:12 am »

I’m also enjoying the input from people who don’t have English as a first language and from people that are not from Europe and North America. Gives a different point of view.

Yes!  One of the best things about this forum is its international character.  The exposure it offers its participants to different perspectives is quite the opposite of what happens within the "echo chambers" of personal-affinity sites like Facebook.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2018, 03:45:54 pm »

I tried to have fair discussions with you, Russ, with no succès. You use forum semantics, I can not compete on this level of crooked logics.

In other words you don't really have an example. It's just a feeling.

(This one came up out of sequence yesterday.)
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up