Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Minibus Taxi  (Read 5643 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Minibus Taxi
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2018, 12:57:53 pm »

My point is you can not impose a North American standard on what we are dealing with in our streets. Just as I don’t get so much of street photography I see from first world countries despite having lived, long ago, in the US and Europe.

I want to respectfully but forcefully negate your assertion. The essence of poetry doesn't change because the language changes. Art is in fact one of the most powerful media we have to cross cultural divides.

Granted, i don't get the original image, possibly because of cultural differences, but i do believe that the best art expressions are precisely deemded art because they transcend those boundaries; that they might help an unsuspecting viewer with a different cultural background to become aware.

None of the images does that for me so far, but that may well be my intellectual limitation.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2018, 01:38:18 pm »

The assertion that art must be universal calls into question the purpose of art. Art requires an audience and perhaps what the artist wishes to say is specific to a particular audience. I don’t believe the sole purpose of art is to cross cultural divides. It can be more pointed than that.

I think you are conflating the search for universal archetypes with art and in this case photography. I see photography as a powerful means of communication. If I am attempting to wake privilaged South Africans to the gritty reality of public transport form distant dormitory townships then it is my right to attempt to do so. If I wish to comment on the long history of racial division and cultural appropriation and that is not understood by people who have shared non of those experiences then so be it. If my aim was to communicate those concepts to a broader audience I could do that but I would have to abandon many of the subtleties I prefer to use.

I will give an example. In parts of the US depicting black people with watermelons is a painful racial stereotype. The watermelon could be used to make a powerful statement. A statement that would be utterly incomprehensible to a South African. There are many powerful symbols that can be used in art that simply do not translate from one society to another.

Poetry also translates badly in many cases.  I speak two languages and can recite poems in Afrikaans that simply do not translate. The words lose the dusty guttural harshness that carry so much hidden meaning.

If you wish to create cross cultural images then I totally respect that. I wish you every success with it. And that’s honest. I prefer to tell my stories in my own dialect. Sometimes people will get what I’m saying, if they are on my wavelength so to speak, and that’s a treat. If not that is also fine with me.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2018, 01:40:42 pm »

I respectfully thank everyone who has offered opinions on this thread. Thank you for your thoughts and your time. It has been both informative and valuable to me.

fredjeang2

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2018, 01:45:32 pm »

We're not so unique. Patterns repeat themselves.
Cultural codes are only a particular conditionning, certainly not an essence
Of mindkind whose drama, expectations, sadness, joy, problems, are the same
Everywhere, under different costumes and fetishes.
Therefore, there are universal languages such as images or music.
I'm writting in english, it's not my native language which is french.
If I don't learn english, I can't communicate with you.
However I can communicate with the world with images without the need to be explained.
But, photography is also a language to be learned in order to, instead of
Sharing meaningless content, being worth.
So in the end, instead of learning good english to use words, I need to learn how to make good photos
To use image so that the receiver does not necessarly have to possess cultural references to
”understand”, be moved or questionned. There is really nothing to be understood. It's just about whitnessing.

In other words, bad photography is the equivalent of: yf i writ too yu in inglish lique dis.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 01:55:40 pm by fredjeang2 »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 02:44:25 pm »

I think of myself as a reasonably educated individual, i am aware of segregation and apartheid. I think i can reasonably empathise with human condition to understand the impact. This means i could be looking at an image and assert that it might be a powerful representation of said condition, in a documentary sort of way.

What "street" photography does, in my opinion, is elevate that depiction into a story and therefore makes the idiosyncracies clear to an average viewer, and that usually means it appeals to universal concepts.

The latter is missing in the original taxi image. It depicts cars in a moody light. Moody, not aggressive. That moody light is likely a more-or-less universal element, it doesn't suddenly turn into "aggressive" just because the viewer is also from SA. It doesn't contain a story in some way, like the story that is added by the text.

I'm very much an advocate of art=communication and as with normal language skills we do not just use random words in random sentences just because we feel like they are appropriate, which is more akin to tourrette syndrom.

Moreover, if we establish a general concept like Haiku in poetry, and then make a forum specifically for Haiku, it seems rather odd to post sonnets there instead. It doesn't mean they are bad poems, but they might not receive the appreciation they perhaps deserve.
Regards,
~ O ~

fredjeang2

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 03:05:26 pm »

I think of myself as a reasonably educated individual, i am aware of segregation and apartheid. I think i can reasonably empathise with human condition to understand the impact. This means i could be looking at an image and assert that it might be a powerful representation of said condition, in a documentary sort of way.

What "street" photography does, in my opinion, is elevate that depiction into a story and therefore makes the idiosyncracies clear to an average viewer, and that usually means it appeals to universal concepts.

The latter is missing in the original taxi image. It depicts cars in a moody light. Moody, not aggressive. That moody light is likely a more-or-less universal element, it doesn't suddenly turn into "aggressive" just because the viewer is also from SA. It doesn't contain a story in some way, like the story that is added by the text.

I'm very much an advocate of art=communication and as with normal language skills we do not just use random words in random sentences just because we feel like they are appropriate, which is more akin to tourrette syndrom.

Moreover, if we establish a general concept like Haiku in poetry, and then make a forum specifically for Haiku, it seems rather odd to post sonnets there instead. It doesn't mean they are bad poems, but they might not receive the appreciation they perhaps deserve.
Exactly, and it's at that point when things are getting really difficult.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 03:09:29 pm »

Well said, my friend. It's exactly what I've been trying to say from the day this segment of LuLa was started, but I never said it nearly as well as you just said it. Thank you.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

fredjeang2

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 03:43:55 pm »

Well said, my friend. It's exactly what I've been trying to say from the day this segment of LuLa was started, but I never said it nearly as well as you just said it. Thank you.
Yeah but it was sort of predictible that was going to happen, because from what I saw elsewhere, this is not a Lula's idiosyncrasy. I must say that it also happens in fashion, as Rob could confirm.
Many so-called fashion photos shared over the net have everything to do except with fashion. Fashion is not about beautifull boys and girls, it's about clothes and clothes is not just about dressing (just like saying food is just about filling the stomach).
I guess you have to give time to this section to self-mature or autoregulates. I see it as a positive initiative, even if many-most of the shots presented aren't really street but would rather belong to a "without prejudice" thread.
It has always surprised me that LuLa didn't have a dedicated street forum in the past.

RSL

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2018, 04:06:44 pm »

We'll just have to hope for the best, Fred. I always was surprised LuLa didn't have a street forum. Now I'm surprised at what I see in it. But you're right, let's press on and see if we can get things to settle down. I do a lot of different stuff, but to me street is the most important reason to own a camera.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 04:25:06 pm »

If we establish a general concept like haiku is a bit misleading in this case. A poor analogy I believe since a haiku is very rigidly defined. 5-7-5. Sonnets also have a clearly defined structure while the defenders of street photography have yet to offer any real definition. The closest we have come is advice such as “check out this guy”, I did, or “I know it when I see it”. That’s fair enough as a starting point but remains fatally subjective. Not like a haiku where we can quickly decide after counting the syllables. You also suggest that the idiosyncrasies or story should be clear to the average viewer. Would you offer that as a step towards a definition? The image must be understandable to the average viewer? Not arguing just seeking clarity.

To be blunt I am suspicious of universal concepts. Seems to me there are exceptions to everything. Nothing is understood by everyone and no one understands everything. Perhaps the striving for universal concepts is the thing I am missing here. I believe it to be impossible but perhaps the closer we get the more successful?

I am actually more interested in the cultural differences than universal archetypes. Sure I agree there are things that cut across cultural boundaries. Love, hate, fear of death, suspicion of differences. I just think different cultures describe these things differently. The signs are different. For example the taxi image. I quite like it but it’s not a favorite of mine. It’s kind of interesting to me. I had a certain reaction from local people towards the image. People thought I was nuts to be in the middle of the road with a taxi bearing down. On several occasions these taxis have deliberately run down traffic police. Most of them are armed with illegal firearms. My mother and sister were caught in gun battle between several taxis about 15years ago 500m from where this photo was taken. So you see it’s cultural. I don’t understand cowboy hats. You don’t see the danger in the taxi. It’s why so many tourists get killed by elephants and other animals. The dangers are not recognized. When I was in New York many years ago I wondered into a virtually empty video store looking for a video. A bunch of tough looking guys basically told me to get lost when I tried to hire a video. Apparently it was a crack den. My American girl friend had a fir when I told her about it. I never picked up the signs. Actually that was Brooklyn I seem to remember.

Rayyan

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 01:18:01 am »

I have to agree with Martin in that cultural background has a very big role in what one understands as ' art ' or a particular genre of ' art '. Certain ' things ' might , and do , cross cultural boundaries; but that assertion has to be taken with a big lump of salt. Art = communication. Again a false equivalence; communication by its very nature is regional. And obviously different forms and means of communication have evolved; but that evolution was/is regionally based

A certain culture might dominate, due to its economic/military/intellectual prowess. And as such, through time its culture might influence an existing culture somewhere else. And it is that domination that some refer to as ' universal '. And this intoxication of dominance which allows one, erroneously imho, to proclaim that one's ' art ' form is, or should be viewed and accepted, as universal.

I did my schooling, university, post-graduate studies and early employment in the ' western ' world. I am pretty much acquainted with its norms, customs etc. ' Art ' there is not necessarily understood or perceived as such in my part of the world. And vice versa.

That is not to ascribe a ' good ' or ' bad ' label to one or the other. Just that each is different. And certain aspects share common understandings.
Ascribing a ' universal ' label is both pretentious and very patronizing.

Also, any form of communication has relevance to the time period in which such communication takes place; besides its cultural dependency.
Maybe what is being referred to as universal is not ' art ' but some emotion expressed in that medium. And that too, is very much culture and region dependent.

' if you don't understand it ', you are uneducated!! ' Street ' should be such and such. As practiced by so and so.
 An often regurgitated mantra that belies something much more sinister. Even if that might not be the intention.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 01:41:06 am »

Thank you Fursan. You very clearly extended my point and put it very well. A dominant culture doesn’t see its self as a culture neccesraliy. It sees itself as jut the way things are. I remember joking with a coworker in Florida when he asked me what I first noticed about the US and I borrowed from a comedian and told him I noticed all Americans have a funny accent. He didn’t even laugh. He looked puzzled and said that I was the one with the accent. Point of view isn’t it?

To break the mold a little, for those who are interested in work done by people not based in Europe or North America have a look at Ho Fan, a Chinese photographer. I love his work. Guy Tillim, a South African who has had international gallery success. He started out doing more reportage stuff but his latest work shot on the streets of large African cities would fit into the street category I think. And then Peter Hugo just for fun. Not street I suppose but his hyena men of Nigeria is very interesting.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 04:15:06 am »

A certain culture might dominate, due to its economic/military/intellectual prowess. And as such, through time its culture might influence an existing culture somewhere else. And it is that domination that some refer to as ' universal '. And this intoxication of dominance which allows one, erroneously imho, to proclaim that one's ' art ' form is, or should be viewed and accepted, as universal.

Well, fortunately that is not what i was referring to. We human beings have a lot in common, which is exactly why language and translation works in the first place, especially across cultural divides. That includes pictorial storytelling. Trying to concentrate on the differences as being an insurmountable gap in understanding each other is clearly a red herring and not very constructive.

Art = communication is a tautology, at least for the artform under discussion, and even though there may be rules involved, they are, just as with any language, mostly intuitive and not obvious or determinate. You know a well-formed sentence when you read one, but most of us don't have a clue why it is well-formed.

However, in order to break the rules you first need to know the rules. In Art as in language that is an intuitive process, and if a lot of people tell you something doesn't fit the bill (just yet) then it may be time to reevaluate what you're doing, and not try to reevaluate the rules by merely dismissing them as cultural oppression or whatever.

And mind you: by "a lot of people" i don't mean us morons here on the forum. If you find a large group of people or even an entire country that totally "gets" your photography, by all means, exploit that relationship to the full extent.

Regards,
~ O ~

Rayyan

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2018, 06:55:38 am »

Of course we have a lot in common. But not all.
And that is exactly why ' translation ' does not work in many place. One needs to understand the nuances of a culture.

No-one ever mentioned differences as being insurmountable. Injecting and referencing to unmentioned ideas is the real red herring and is neither constructive nor contributory to understanding.

Art= communication is a repetition. Serves no other purpose. Language rules can never be intuitive unless one has specifically devoted considerable time and spent considerable effort to a language different than one's own. And especially across cultural divides.And, as much as some might be surprised, rules in certain languages are determinate. Recognizing a well formed sentence in certain Languages and cultures and knowledge of why it is well formed is well understood. Maybe not necessarily in your culture. That is why cultural dependency is important, not only in Language but so in picture telling.

Even sign language can be misunderstood..really!!

I agree that some need to reevaluate what they are doing. Not become robots and try to parrot what is being said within a certain group. If not, one ends up coming across as a frog in his/her little pond croaking that that is what the world is; or should be.

And if by a lot of people you mean us morons that belong to this forum, but from a different culture, you are just repeating what most of the group on this form might believe. And if you find a large group of people that 'gets ' your interpretation on the intricacies of your language, art, and/or knowledge; then more power to you.

But there shall be dissenters; now and again. Contend with them in a civil manner.

Well, fortunately that is not what i was referring to. We human beings have a lot in common, which is exactly why language and translation works in the first place, especially across cultural divides. That includes pictorial storytelling. Trying to concentrate on the differences as being an insurmountable gap in understanding each other is clearly a red herring and not very constructive.

Art = communication is a tautology, at least for the artform under discussion, and even though there may be rules involved, they are, just as with any language, mostly intuitive and not obvious or determinate. You know a well-formed sentence when you read one, but most of us don't have a clue why it is well-formed.

However, in order to break the rules you first need to know the rules. In Art as in language that is an intuitive process, and if a lot of people tell you something doesn't fit the bill (just yet) then it may be time to reevaluate what you're doing, and not try to reevaluate the rules by merely dismissing them as cultural oppression or whatever.

And mind you: by "a lot of people" i don't mean us morons here on the forum. If you find a large group of people or even an entire country that totally "gets" your photography, by all means, exploit that relationship to the full extent.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 07:34:36 am »

Speaking of cultural differences. Some cultures write from left to right, some from right to left, some top left down. Seems insignificant but consider the following. Placing an object up against the left side of an image creates a different feeeling to placing it on the right. For those of us that read left to right an object on the left easily creates the feeling of entering a frame. On the right of leaving a frame. Frequently a object can be placed on the right to stop the eye drifting out of frame and direct it back to the centre of the image, that’s not as important on the left side of the frame. For people that read right to left the composition would need to be reversed to give an equivalent feeling compositionally. This is a well documented and acknowledged phenomena.

Colours are also read differently. Go to China and notice that most business signs are in red, it’s a lucky colour, I see red as danger.

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 02:15:09 pm »

Are you still banging on about that? It’s street photography because where I live...snip

Where you live has no bearing on the photograph Martin. Same as having had to climb a mountain and nearly freezing to death to take a pic of a pretty sunset has on the pic of that sunset The viewer doesn't care.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 02:50:23 pm »

Where you live has no bearing on the photograph Martin. Same as having had to climb a mountain and nearly freezing to death to take a pic of a pretty sunset has on the pic of that sunset The viewer doesn't care.

You entirely missed my point and quoted a single line out of context. The point of the thread, and the image, for me was to attempt to illustrate how different cultures read different events and objects differently due to context and life experiences. Anyone who hasn’t had to contend with taxis in Joburg is unlikely to understand their cultural significance. If a photograph was made essentially to speak to a Joburg audience then less has to be said or shown because we can assume the audience will understand better what is implied and needs less to be directly shown. I assume from you name, perhaps incorrectly that you understand what makes people in Joburg tense about taxis. 

It’s actually interesting because to me this is so obvious as to be self evident yet so many disagree with me. Who knew?

Ivophoto

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2018, 03:15:18 pm »

I’m with you Martin, I find the objections made against your point of view lacking realism.

RSL

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2018, 03:24:41 pm »

I’m with you Martin, I find the objections made against your point of view lacking realism.

There's another unsupported generalization, Ivo. Please explain what you mean by an objection lacking realism. Please give an example.

Ivophoto

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2018, 03:46:59 pm »

There's another unsupported generalization, Ivo. Please explain what you mean by an objection lacking realism. Please give an example.

I tried to have fair discussions with you, Russ, with no succès. You use forum semantics, I can not compete on this level of crooked logics.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up