Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advanced Lens Cleaning  (Read 2364 times)

Brad P

Advanced Lens Cleaning
« on: June 13, 2018, 02:46:53 am »

Has anyone tried or have any thoughts on this method with spectroscopic grade methanol?  Just saw it on a post at B&H.

Trying to find a way to safely get lenses factory clean.  See pic. 

Conner999

Re: Advanced Lens Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 08:30:10 am »

Seems a bit over the top a procedure for external surfaces of lens that will have dust, etc., deposited seconds after cleaning. That said, if it works... Personally have found that a couple of drops of RoR Fluid on a fresh Kimwipe works wonders (if smudges)- after lens blown clean.

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 10:52:19 am »

Well yes, spectroscopic grade methanol would work - but most people don't have access to this, and it's expensive as heck (typically bought in 2 L and 4 L jugs).

Harold Clark

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 09:11:09 am »

Has anyone tried or have any thoughts on this method with spectroscopic grade methanol?  Just saw it on a post at B&H.

Trying to find a way to safely get lenses factory clean.  See pic.

I have had good results with regular eyeglass cleaner. A Canon service rep once told me they used a 50:50 mixture of ether and alcohol, that was about 1978 so I don't know if that is still the case. Ether may be hard to come by, not something you see in a hardware store.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 09:58:09 am »

Skip the ether. Not only is it hard to come by, but it is dangerous to handle (in the lab, it is kept and used always in a chemical fume hood, for fire safety reasons), and may get you a visit from your local law enforcement or DEA / ATF Feds. Ether is the cause of all those meth lab fires.  Ka-Boom!

Brad P

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 02:00:01 pm »

Skip the ether. Not only is it hard to come by, but it is dangerous to handle (in the lab, it is kept and used always in a chemical fume hood, for fire safety reasons), and may get you a visit from your local law enforcement or DEA / ATF Feds. Ether is the cause of all those meth lab fires.  Ka-Boom!

I find your arguments compelling, counsellor.

Of all the methods I’ve tried (including a paint on rubber cement like substance manufactured for telescopes - big mistake), I’ve never tried RoR fluid and may give that a try. 

jensputzier

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 03:15:55 pm »

When I went to the Zeiss factory in Oberkochen quite a while ago they said that the cleaner fluid they sell is pretty close to what they use in the factory.

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 03:48:12 pm »

Huffing on the lens (don't spit!) followed by a gentle wipe with a clean microfiber cloth does the job as well as it needs to be done. As soon as you pop off the lens cap in any real world enivronment, you can forget about "factory clean."

-Dave-

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 02:54:34 pm »

I use isopropyl alcohol from an aerosol and a lens cloth. That said, I do not clean my front lens as I have a Hoya revo uv filter, so clean that.  It evaporates fast and does a good job.
Best wishes,
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 11:58:26 pm »

I use 2 methods typically depending on coated glass/lenses

For my Zuiko lenses and some others, Hoya mc filters and others e.g. I do following

1. Clean away dust/particles from lens with blower and anti-static wisk ( vigorously blow the wisk - as this will create static within the bristles)
2. Apply very small amount of Formula MC (PecaProducts) on a PecsPad - very very gently (and briefly) in circular motion around the lens surface
3. When this has dried, use small piece of Kinetronics Tiger Cloth and very very gently remove Formula MC residue in a circular motion...this usually needs to be done twice.
4. Use lens blower and wisk to finish.

For my Nikon lenses I use Eclipse methanol on a PecsPad and very lightly wipe in a circular motion as per their instructions and this after doing step #1 above. Eclipse calls their cleaning fluid "the highest purity lens cleaner available". It is really great in my experience and nothing as good. It takes a little bit of practice to finish the wipe motion and lift to avoide leaving residue. It generally leaves none.After Eclipse then wipe afterwards with Kinetronics Tiger Cloth. There have been some occasions that I needed to do the Formula MC method THEN Eclipse...very rare though.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 10:25:33 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 09:36:15 am »

I should have written in my previous post that the isopropyl alcohol I use is IPA 170 and 99.7% pure.  I am very happy with job it does on the Hoya Revo UV filters I have on my lenses. I would rather damage them than any of my lenses!
Best wishes,
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 10:38:29 am »

Methanol should work fine. Just dip your shirttail in it and wipe away.
Pages: [1]   Go Up