Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can photo manipulation be considered as art ?  (Read 13478 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Can photo manipulation be considered as art ?
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2018, 06:32:21 pm »

Cam,  Still hard to get too but I got there.  Nice shots. 

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2018, 12:18:45 am »

Thanks!

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2018, 02:52:10 pm »

This may be a little off topic but here it goes.  I am often too quick in accessing images and as a result I often miss the real richness of an image.  For me, knowing the backstory can dramatically influence how a photograph speaks to me.  A couple of examples that come to mind are Walk to Paradise Garden and Tomoko in Bath by Eugene Smith.  After reading the backstory, these images reach me at a much deeper level.  Sometimes I feel like I’m so inundated with imaginary that I don’t take the time to see and feel what’s in front of me.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2018, 03:52:58 pm »

And THIS ONE Cam, his inmate at a Haitian asylum. It needs words. All three of these are a kind of photojournalism that's high art. The man was a perfectionist, which we all should be but seldom are.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2018, 06:18:48 pm »

It's a very thought provoking image.  I happen to have that print!  Photojournalist, it seems, are often underappreciated as artists.  To me, if you only see one image in a series it's the equivalent of reading a chapter in a great novel.

Rob C

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2018, 05:27:05 am »

Real? Fake? Does it matter?

Peter McLennan

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2018, 12:39:04 pm »

Doesn't matter.  Nothing does.  The current meme is "Truth Decay"

And it doesn't end with still pix and the cloning tool.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/deepfake-politics-1.4731665

Rob C

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2018, 03:50:55 am »

Doesn't matter.  Nothing does.  The current meme is "Truth Decay"

And it doesn't end with still pix and the cloning tool.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/deepfake-politics-1.4731665

That is a truly worrying development.

I wonder if mankind is actually going to destroy itself courtesy its own inventions?

Rob

Peter McLennan

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2018, 01:33:29 pm »

Someone posted recently that Adobe was using AI to forensically identify digital image manipulation. This should work for video, too but it won’t do anything to prevent the spread of doctored imagery in the first place.

It truly is a “No Rules” World.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2018, 02:34:00 pm »

I love how the article points fingers at Russia, as in "Russia is surely going to use it," as if we wouldn't... against them or, even more likely, domestically.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2018, 07:07:04 pm »

Speaking of three seconds, I use to set the time length for my digital slide show on the HDTV of vacation pictures to 5 seconds for each "slide".  I used 1 second cross dissolves but that's included in the five seconds.  Two vacation ago, I changed the length to 4 seconds with the same one second cross dissolve.  For my last trip to the southwest national parks, I set it at three seconds.  I find 3 seconds moves the show and people don't get bored (at least I hope so. ). 4 and 5 seconds per shot is too long.   For a few special pictures, I'll set the time to 4 or 5 seconds because they're particularly nice. But otherwise, each of the slides are set for three seconds including the one second cross dissolve. Most photographers, myself included, think too highly of their work.  :)

This is the problem with standardized slide shows. For some photos, 2 seconds is too long, and for another image I would need 15-30 seconds.

dasuess

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2018, 05:11:33 pm »

Well, Uelsmann's work is so obviously composite, everyone understands what's going on.  It's when the final image appears perfectly normal but in fact was a composite or some other digital manipulation beyond the boundaries of simple exposure adjustments and cropping that we get into these arguments about photography vs. digital art.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob C

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2018, 07:00:36 am »

Well, Uelsmann's work is so obviously composite, everyone understands what's going on.  It's when the final image appears perfectly normal but in fact was a composite or some other digital manipulation beyond the boundaries of simple exposure adjustments and cropping that we get into these arguments about photography vs. digital art.

And I think that unless it's done for fraud, then so what? Art is one thing, and the declaration of fact another. Either way, film or digital, people have always been able to photograph from an agenda-driven perspective; even when trying their best not to, it comes through via framing, juxtaposition of content. How can anyone avoid being themselves?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:10:20 am by Rob C »

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2018, 03:32:07 pm »

And I think that unless it's done for fraud, then so what? Art is one thing, and the declaration of fact another. Either way, film or digital, people have always been able to photograph from an agenda-driven perspective; even when trying their best not to, it comes through via framing, juxtaposition of content. How can anyone avoid being themselves?

+1

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2018, 12:15:31 am »

The fact is digitally manipulated photographs sell better than their straight version.. Call it what you want I dont care

http://www.douglasdolde.com/-/galleries/joshua-tree-np/-/medias/dd17b825-6e45-47fb-8fd0-5b0741f93b93-electric-cholla

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2018, 06:17:31 pm »

What does it mean when you say the photo communicates?
If I could easily explain why or how an image, or a subject communicates with me, I'd be a writer not a photographer or an artist. What's the old saying..."one picture etc....."?

Rob C

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2018, 03:30:24 am »

The fact is digitally manipulated photographs sell better than their straight version.. Call it what you want I dont care

http://www.douglasdolde.com/-/galleries/joshua-tree-np/-/medias/dd17b825-6e45-47fb-8fd0-5b0741f93b93-electric-cholla

Vincent van G with a computer?

;-)

Rob

Rayyan

« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2018, 08:50:18 am »

My answer to the thread title:

Yes. If enough of those people that  ' matter ' consider it so!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up