Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Belgian Linedans  (Read 962 times)

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Belgian Linedans
« on: June 10, 2018, 03:16:29 am »

The Expo '58 in Brussels was a huge game changer here in Belgium. US influence flooded the market and people adapted happily to what the US had to export.
Mass production, food engineering, kitchen automation, Pizza joints, burger chains and associated wealth.
Peoples also loved the American way.
As a more obscure effect of these changes, peoples left behind the traditional way of living for a poor decoction of the American style. (at least, the style promoted by the publicity)
Up to today, the folk dancing at harvest Festivals are replaced by line dance acts. At least, what is locally understood line dancing is.

This inspired me to make a serie of 'Linedancing in Flanders' I'm still in the collecting phase, I hope to have sufficient material in two years to publish a book.
Enjoy some of the impressions:

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:49:51 am by Ivo_B »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
Re: Belgian Linedans
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 03:25:00 am »

One of the phenomena are the 'line dance' courses organized by the farmers' union, the 'Katholiek vormingswerk van landelijke vrouwen': 'Catholic nationwide association of rural woman'

Some of the woman have real snake cowboy booths, some use flip flops and I occasionally spot high heels.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:51:43 am by Ivo_B »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:09:59 am »

O, and it appears there is always one single man in the line of dance. The rooster in the chicken coop.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 03:51:13 pm »

A common thing I've noticed in my travels is that someone else's take on a tradition involving displays and ceremonies will be more vivid than the original. I bet there's a distilling process at work: you get a condensed version of something via media sources, then use your imagination to expand it back out.

-Dave-

Ivophoto

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 04:24:36 pm »

A common thing I've noticed in my travels is that someone else's take on a tradition involving displays and ceremonies will be more vivid than the original. I bet there's a distilling process at work: you get a condensed version of something via media sources, then use your imagination to expand it back out.

-Dave-

You’re probably right.
We have djembe groups as well. They take it very very serious.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 07:38:02 am »

Fascinating. Now there's a real cultural imbalance. Belgium gets pizza/burger joints and line-dancing, and America gets Belgian chocolate and beer!  :)

Ivophoto

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 09:46:09 am »

Fascinating. Now there's a real cultural imbalance. Belgium gets pizza/burger joints and line-dancing, and America gets Belgian chocolate and beer!  :)

I don’t think the POTUS have something to complain with this deal!  LOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up