Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight  (Read 2632 times)

sdwilsonsct

Re: Twilight
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 12:17:33 pm »

First-rate, Luis.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 12:47:03 pm »

I think there is a recent tendency for folks who don't understand the photographers intention to attempt to "help" by explaining how to make the photograph like one of theirs. Such unsolicited comments are not helpful at all. Offering suggestions when invited is fine, but if uninvited, not so much...

Guido, the comment was not "unsolicited": any posted image impliedly invites comment. While you may disagree with JT's view of the image (as indeed do I), he has every right to express it.

Jeremy

guido

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 01:26:49 pm »

Guido, the comment was not "unsolicited": any posted image impliedly invites comment. While you may disagree with JT's view of the image (as indeed do I), he has every right to express it.

Jeremy

The what is the difference between the showcase areas and the user critique?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 02:00:46 pm »

The what is the difference between the showcase areas and the user critique?

Not much. The difference is that in User Critique posters are specifically looking for a feedback, while in the Showcase they are more looking to display their work. However, this doesn't mean that they are not going to get any comments, critique, or feedback. As Jeremy noted above, "any posted image impliedly invites comment."

If someone really, really doesn't want any feedback or critique (which almost always means they do not want to hear negative comments or second-guessing), they should post in the "Without Prejudice" thread.

Having said the above, it is worth noting the OP's own thoughts on critique in the Showcase section:

My comment just tried to point that any image can be criticized, even if it seems to be perfect for someone. The more point of views, the more we can learn.

guido

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 04:04:17 pm »

The ignore list makes the conversation much more civilized. Didn't take many names either...

Telecaster

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 06:14:05 pm »

Gotta admit that if I'd taken Luis' photo I'd have likely made an "enhanced" version along with (or maybe instead of) this lovely restrained one. It's not about right or wrong but rather personal judgment and taste. The latter is subject to change too, particularly after morning coffee or evening margarita(s).  ;)

-Dave-

Luis M. Anibarro

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 06:19:50 pm »

Wow, this has been so interesting, further than any opinion on my image, this thread is teaching us what and where the limit of criticize must be, if there has to be any limits to it.
First of all, I must state that I agree ALL opinions sed here, all of them has a part of reason, imho.
Of course, I believe any image in this forum must be posted to accept feedback. Praises has no value if you cann't compare them to critics. If you come here to see images, maybe you also come to hear other's opinions about them, cause their personal view of those images must be as valuable for you as the image itself.
But, way far from feeling bothered for any comments at all, I also must mention that you can criticize an image seeding your personal view on any mistake it can contain, that's totally aceptable to me, but if what you say about it is just that you do prefer another interpretation on the way to shoot ot process an image, you should first state precisely some sort of "I maybe should do it like this..." rather than "this IS too (whatever)", cause it was the author who make the shot and who tried to communicate the way he/she saw the scene.
To continue here, I MUST insist in my lack of skills at english language, cause the following can lead to missunderstandings.
I've still not criticize ANY image in this forum. I can not find the exact words in english to always express my feelings like I should. AND. And this is really important, I've not done it also cause I must be, and I want to be coherent with what I do. For instance, if I know that I use to make mistakes in my processes, I can not go and criticize other's images precisely for lacks that my images uses to have. I've read here feedbacks in this forum on some images (maybe wrong processed), while the reviewer him/herself has showed evident, obvious and unacceptable color casts in his images. The last one I saw here needed some +50 yellow  and +10 green on ACR to be corrected, cause it was (imho) unacceptably magenta/blue cast. But guess what? that image was praised for EVERYONE. :D That's why I don't dare to sed my feedbacks many times. That image was way more beautiful with that cast to many, that corrected, even if that color cast in particular cann't be found in any situation in real world (you can find an strong blue cast on cold days, but never with magenta). But I did not say a word, cause it was the personal interpretation of the author, even if it was a total mistake from an academic point of view.
Same with my twilight here in this thread: It was very dark moment, it was a little yellowish cast in the light I saw, and so I reflected in my image, it was not a total and personal tweak of my interpretation of that moment, I just tried to save as much detail I could without losing the sense of the scene... but even so, feedbacks must be welcomed... if you find any mistake on the way I did it, not in the way I saw it.
And please, don't ask me to make it as the trending fashion just for the sake of it. I do know how to do it, but believe me, it would be not a nice image, but just a masquerade. A twilight is dark, a party is bright and colorful.
Best

Luis M. Anibarro

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 06:22:20 pm »

It's not about right or wrong but rather personal judgment and taste. The latter is subject to change too, particularly after morning coffee or evening margarita(s).  ;)

-Dave-

I totally agree!!! :D above all, there is our right to have fun ;)

Rayyan

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2018, 03:47:28 pm »

I like it the way it is.

A landscape is an interpretation ( as is what I do most always ) of what the photog sees ( and, more importantly, felt ) at the time of pressing the shutter.
Forensics, e.g, is what should be recorded ' as is '.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2018, 01:33:28 pm »

Reading these posts I find it unfortunate that I'll never get those 3-4 minutes of my life back that I spent reading this post.
-MD
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up