Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Travel Camera for under $2,000 US  (Read 9312 times)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Best Travel Camera for under $2,000 US
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 03:54:01 pm »

How are the corners on that lens, particularly in the lower range, up to 200mm equiv?
How long does the battery last?

The weak link...I use a Mophie battery tethered to the camera and have power for thousands of images.

Peter

Telecaster

« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2018, 03:56:37 pm »

Doesn't meet your criteria, however I'd opt for an antiquated Leica M8 with a battered Leica or Zeiss 50mm lens on the front.

Make it a 35mm for me since the M8 uses an APS-H (1.3x "crop") sensor.  :D

-Dave-

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2018, 04:08:20 pm »

My travel camera is still a Pentax K-3 (1.5x crop) with 18-135 sealed zoom. I like having interchangeable lenses and like to set up stuff like timelapses or starscapes on my travels. I know some compacts can probably do that but I know how really well on the trusty K-3. That body with the 18-135 variable aperture lens is pretty darn good and not too expensive that I don't want to take it places it might not return from one day. I just find it heavy sometimes but I did carry it to the summit of Kilimanjaro ok. I've considered a m43 or other mirrorless system but have not taken the plunge yet. I probably will one day but I'd want weather seals, raw files, and interchangeable lenses. That all makes it expensive and I already have the K-3 I just mentioned so I just wind up taking that one again. 
-MattB

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2018, 04:08:56 pm »

The weak link...I use a Mophie battery tethered to the camera and have power for thousands of images.
Does one need a special cable, how long is it?
I've seen 3rd party Sony NP-FW50 batteries for as little as $9 each and as much as $51 so I'm totally confused by the options here.
TIA
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2018, 04:17:17 pm »

Does one need a special cable, how long is it?
I've seen 3rd party Sony NP-FW50 batteries for as little as $9 each and as much as $51 so I'm totally confused by the options here.
TIA

It comes with a tiny  5" or so cord. Mine is 14", which I already had. From where, I don't know at this point.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 06:54:18 pm by petermfiore »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2018, 04:57:19 pm »

Make it a 35mm for me since the M8 uses an APS-H (1.3x "crop") sensor.  :D

-Dave-

Yes, on reflection you're right of course.

;-)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2018, 08:29:44 pm »

Peter

I don't think I can cope with shooting while on that thing but it's a very good option to charge it on the field.

I know it's a better travel camera than what I have right now, a Panasonic FZ1000. Tha Pana I bought to be used mostly as a car camera, to be ready for anything the road throws at me but I never really liked it. The lens while not the sharpest it is serviceable (Sony seems sharper on the wide end, just a little more on the long end) and the focus is ok albeit a little slow at the long end; what I really dislike is the colors. Lots of work to get something ok. I got some nice shots with it but I processed them in B&W.
Now I have until tomorrow to decide if it's really worth this improvements (so it arrives in time for a Washington DC trip). The 300g extra it's significant but the volume seems to be close so I can accept that particularly as I enjoy shooting telephoto .

As a landscape camera I'm still not convinced, partially my question regarding corners.
In good conditions the sensor is ok (based on the experience with RX100 and FZ1000, which are close IQ wise) but it's not as easy to deal with it if light is not as nice. I know some are happy with ISO 3200 on it but I have problems with the same ISO on m43/APS-C. For the same weight I also would trust more an E-M1ii with the 12-100 F4 for rough conditions (backpacking).

PS. the Pana colors are probably a lot the Adobe fault as there is no camera profile for it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2018, 04:23:31 pm »

It comes with a tiny  5" or so cord. Mine is 14", which I already had. From where, I don't know at this point.

Peter
Peter, I have a unit that may work already, RavPower:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075LBHQVZ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It came with a cable that fits the Sony, I believe it's called a USB to Micro USB Cable.
I'm a bit worried about just plugging it into the camera  ;D  hence, is the device you recommend special in any way from the myriad of such external batteries, as far as use with our Sony?
Am I correct that you still need to have a battery in your cameras while you use that external battery, and what it basically does is charge it as it runs done (it doesn't power the camera directly)?
If you think it's OK, I guess all I need to do is buy a much longer USB to Micro USB cable. Again, TIA.
This looks like an interesting option for a cable IF compatible:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Retractable-Micro-USB/dp/B00SVVY844/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1529094233&sr=1-4&keywords=USB+to+Micro+USB+Cables

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2018, 05:11:23 pm »

Peter, I have a unit that may work already, RavPower:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075LBHQVZ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It came with a cable that fits the Sony, I believe it's called a USB to Micro USB Cable.
I'm a bit worried about just plugging it into the camera  ;D  hence, is the device you recommend special in any way from the myriad of such external batteries, as far as use with our Sony?
Am I correct that you still need to have a battery in your cameras while you use that external battery, and what it basically does is charge it as it runs done (it doesn't power the camera directly)?
If you think it's OK, I guess all I need to do is buy a much longer USB to Micro USB cable. Again, TIA.
This looks like an interesting option for a cable IF compatible:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Retractable-Micro-USB/dp/B00SVVY844/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1529094233&sr=1-4&keywords=USB+to+Micro+USB+Cables

Alexzander S. White wrote a guide to the Sony 10MK IV . His on online tutorial is where I saw this.

This is the video I learnrd about the Mophie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgjPqXyRLuU

Peter
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 09:50:30 pm by petermfiore »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2018, 02:04:19 pm »

Alexzander S. White wrote a guide to the Sony 10MK IV . He has an online tutorial is where I saw this.

This is the video I learnrd about the Mophie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgjPqXyRLuU

Peter
FWIW, seems more than Mophie will work at this task. I have a similar product by RavPower and it charges the battery when off, seems to power it when on. I had a battery that was down as indicated in on the LCD. When I plugged in the RavPower, the camera never went into it's normal auto-power off behavior. Camera off, battery changed. Very cool.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2018, 03:41:58 pm »

FWIW, seems more than Mophie will work at this task. I have a similar product by RavPower and it charges the battery when off, seems to power it when on. I had a battery that was down as indicated in on the LCD. When I plugged in the RavPower, the camera never went into it's normal auto-power off behavior. Camera off, battery changed. Very cool.

Andrew,

That's what I'm saying...pretty cool. With my  Mophie battery I shot more than 200 GIG worth and kept going, never had to change the battery.

Peter

MikeRoss

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2018, 11:11:24 am »

I’m going with the Sony RX10-4 - I had the mark 2 and it was good - light and compact. The autofocus was a bit problematic and a bit more zoom would have been nice. Just acquired the mark 4 and it is very good. autofocus is now a lot quicker and more certain, lens is great. The overall package is a bit heavier and a slightly larger but still compact and reasonably light. It’s going to Europe for a month with me and that will be a good test run. I recently liquidated 20 years worth of Nikon SLR and DSLR gear and I’m not missing it much except maybe for the viewfinder on the D2X. My two cents worth...

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 10:27:23 pm »

Just found this thread...

Canon 5D-IV is my main camera, but I travel with a Canon SL1 (similar to the SL2 mentioned earlier); Sigma 17-70 IS as primary lens; Canon 28 IS (45eq) for street shooting; and either the Canon 70-300 IS (a much under-rated lens) or 70-200 f4 IS.  80% of my travel images are with the 17-70, which has similar range to the FF Canon 24-105 f4 and is vastly superior in IQ, IS, and range to the kit lens.  If I'm out carrying for the entire day, I only take the 17-70.  See travel photos at www.markfarber.com.  Just came back from 3 weeks in Japan: 84% of shots were with 17-70.

The main benefits:  It's a Canon SLR.  Same (though much pared down) buttons and menus.  So it's an easy transition back-and-forth with my 5D.  And the 28mm and 70-200mm are superb on it.  In fact, the 28 gets far more use on the APS-C camera than my FF.

That said, I had the chance to play with the Olympus OM-D this weekend.  Pixel peeped and printed 17x22.  Much better than an earlier version I tried a few years ago.  In-body stabilization is better than FF lens IS so it's easier to avoid high ISOs with slow shutter.  EVFs have vastly improved.  Very tempting...

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2018, 03:39:06 pm »

Ricoh GR II

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2018, 04:10:55 pm »

Ricoh GR II

Decent IQ but no viewfinder...Or am I mistaken?

Peter
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up