Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File size in PS  (Read 920 times)

hea7

File size in PS
« on: June 06, 2018, 11:08:58 am »

Working with composites I get large files. PS cannot save tif files over a certain size (2 0r 4 Gig?). I got the attached message when trying to save a file that is 1.7G shown at the bottom of the image. See attached. Is the 1.7G the PS file size or is it calculated another way?
If I save it as a PSB then Lightroom will not import the file. My TIF options are also attached.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 03:58:44 pm by hea7 »

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
Re: File size in PS
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 11:44:12 am »

Did you forget to attach a file?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:52:03 pm »

4 GIGs (30K pixels) is the limit for TIFF/PSD and indeed, LR can't deal with PSB (an awful shame). Either make the document smaller in size or forget LR for the time being.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Jeffrey Saldinger

• Jeffrey Saldinger
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:55:56 pm »

My workaround to not being able to have a PSB in my Lr catalog is to duplicate the file in Ps; flatten it; then save it as a jpeg (in the same folder as the PSB); then import the jpeg into Lr.  This way I at least have some record of the file in Lr and get can get to the PSB itself easily enough.
Jeffrey
Astoria, New York
www.jeffreysaldinger.com

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 04:46:45 pm »

Working with composites I get large files. PS cannot save tif files over a certain size (2 0r 4 Gig?). I got the attached message when trying to save a file that is 1.7G shown at the bottom of the image. See attached. Is the 1.7G the PS file size or is it calculated another way?
If I save it as a PSB then Lightroom will not import the file. My TIF options are also attached.

Thanks for any help.

Don't know how much of a difference it will make, but you can choose Zip instead of RLE for layer compression and see if it brings it below 4G.  They are both lossless so no hit to the quality.  As far as the bottom numbers, they are "document sizes." I have no idea what the correlation is to the final file size - it must depend on how many layers and what kind and what type of compression is used.  File size is usually always greater than the document size, in my experience, when no image compression is used.

hea7

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 08:33:32 pm »

You are right that PS does not show the actual file size. I had a screen session with adobe today and the person did not know how to determine file size. Lightroom shows the file size if it’s not a psb which LR does not recognize. Be nice if PS showed the size and LR recognized psb’s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up