Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ceci n’est pas une pipe.  (Read 6003 times)

Rob C

Re: Ceci n’est pas une pipe.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 01:36:20 pm »

Somehow I feel the ‘not a pipe’ genre will be more fun to look at.

After all, a pipe is a pipe.

But not when in a dream - unless of peace, when it is indeed not a pipe...

Telecaster

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2018, 03:17:28 pm »

In other LuLa photo sub-forums we seem able to manage a balance between anything goes and preachy dogmatic rigidity. Surely we can do this here too…

-Dave-

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2018, 03:49:35 pm »

In other LuLa photo sub-forums we seem able to manage a balance between anything goes and preachy dogmatic rigidity. Surely we can do this here too…

-Dave-

Yes, I think Street Showcase - not landscape - ... told us everything we needed to know.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2018, 04:13:10 pm »

Except for what is not street, that otherwise is included, as we have clearly seen.

There's a helluva lot of different territory between street and landscape!

Why is it such a problem to allow some sense of focus rather than of chaos? You wouldn't go onto a field and pick up a ball, run with it in your hands to the other end, and then scream goal. If something as basic as kicking or running holding a ball requires differentiation, how much more in the case of more spiritual matters?

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2018, 04:18:52 pm »

... You wouldn't go onto a field and pick up a ball, run with it in your hands to the other end, and then scream goal. If something as basic as kicking or running holding a ball requires differentiation...

AND it requires a referee. Which is what I suggested earlier, but you said I am not nice ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 04:20:46 pm »

My intention was to try to come up with an explicit description ...

Just to make it clear, I didn't have you and your efforts specifically in mind. More in general terms.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 04:45:08 pm »

So why not have an "Open" section, or "General Photos" section, or "undefined", or "uncategorised" etc, etc, etc...

We used to have endless discussions (read heated arguments) in the photo club I was once a member of, about correctly categorising work for competitions etc, and in the end I put forward the idea that we should just have "Open" competitions, where anything goes and all we had to do was to comment on the validity and/or quality of each individual piece of work, not on whether it conformed to someone else's opinion on what category it should be shoe horned into, but just on the creativeness and ability shown within it.

It lasted for a little while, until some of the old guard started to feel lost and unable to focus on a specific subject, unless they were given a subject and told what to shoot, so they wanted their standard categories back and that is about the same time when I went off to do my own thing.

Dave
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 04:49:42 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Ivophoto

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 01:01:13 am »

Why is it such a problem to allow some sense of focus rather than of chaos? You wouldn't go onto a field and pick up a ball, run with it in your hands to the other end, and then scream goal. If something as basic as kicking or running holding a ball requires differentiation, how much more in the case of more spiritual matters?

Rob

Photography is not playing the game. It is observing it. And only looking to the movements according certain rules  excludes the holistic view on the game.
It’s like only looking to the penalty part of soccer.

KLaban

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2018, 01:17:11 am »

Except for what is not street, that otherwise is included, as we have clearly seen.

There's a helluva lot of different territory between street and landscape!

Rob

If I call it Street it's Street, if you call it Street it's Street.

What's wrong with that? Surely that's all we need here?

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 03:58:23 am »

So why not have an "Open" section, or "General Photos" section, or "undefined", or "uncategorised" etc, etc, etc...

We used to have endless discussions (read heated arguments) in the photo club I was once a member of, about correctly categorising work for competitions etc, and in the end I put forward the idea that we should just have "Open" competitions, where anything goes and all we had to do was to comment on the validity and/or quality of each individual piece of work, not on whether it conformed to someone else's opinion on what category it should be shoe horned into, but just on the creativeness and ability shown within it.

It lasted for a little while, until some of the old guard started to feel lost and unable to focus on a specific subject, unless they were given a subject and told what to shoot, so they wanted their standard categories back and that is about the same time when I went off to do my own thing.

Dave

Dave, that already exists: it's called the critiqes section where you can post anything you like.

But anyway, I'm done here: it's turned into nothing but another pissing contest with most of us pissless before we even began.

Rob
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:49:29 am by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 09:42:01 am »

If I call it Street it's Street, if you call it Street it's Street.

What's wrong with that? Surely that's all we need here?

Right, Keith. And when I posted a nautilus shell on Landscape Showcase and called it landscape, that converted a picture of a nautilus shell to landscape. Correct? It's magic. Right?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2018, 09:52:07 am »

...when I posted a nautilus shell on Landscape Showcase and called it landscape, that converted a picture of a nautilus shell to landscape. Correct? It's magic. Right?

Nope. Just shows that we, the landscape people, who prefer our shots sans people, are much more tolerant of humans and their shenanigans than the street people, who claim it is all about people ;)

KLaban

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2018, 10:26:06 am »

Right, Keith. And when I posted a nautilus shell on Landscape Showcase and called it landscape, that converted a picture of a nautilus shell to landscape. Correct? It's magic. Right?

Russ, if you want to exhibit a nautilus in the Landscape Showcase and call it landscape, well, you go for it, you surrealist devil you, but I wouldn't hold your breath on others following suit.

Personally I trust the contributors here to not abuse the Street Showcase and expect and accept that other's opinions on Street may well differ from my own.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:32:39 am by KLaban »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »

Dave, that already exists: it's called the critiqes section where you can post anything you like.

But anyway, I'm done here: it's turned into nothing but another pissing contest with most of us pissless before we even began.

Rob

Sorry Rob, but I was trying to be ironic and trying to say that no matter how many sections we have, there will never be enough. But hey if it made you feel "pissless" just by reading it, then obviously I didn't do the irony very well did I?

Dave  ;)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 08:39:13 pm »

I was trying to be ironic

There can be no place for irony in a forum thread titled Ceci n’est pas une pipe.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2018, 12:11:53 am »

There can be no place for irony in a forum thread titled Ceci n’est pas une pipe.
Unless your pipe (or non-pipe) is made of iron.   8)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up