Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XH Lens Adapter availability  (Read 2309 times)

Endeavour

XH Lens Adapter availability
« on: June 02, 2018, 09:20:51 am »

I am seriously considering getting an X1d but will want to use my HC lenses rather than "invest" in new glass specifically for the X1D - I'll be keeping my H kit for other jobs

does anyone know when the X1D lens adapter for HC lenses is likely to be available?

Everywhere I see it for sale online is either 'backorder' or 'special order' with no shipping times

Joe Towner

Re: XH Lens Adapter availability
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 07:07:41 pm »

PM sent.
t: @PNWMF

tcdeveau

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:31:00 am »

What version are your H lenses? Unless they’re all the newer orange dot versions, you’ll wanna check to see if they can be upgraded to the latest firmware - 19.0.x - otherwise you won’t get AF with the lenses and the XH adapter. Of course you can always do manual focus, but it’s something I’d recommend looking into before getting the X1D. A good number of older lenses can’t be upgraded to the latest firmware and can’t autofocus with the XH and X1D.  I read somewhere 2013 was the manufacturing cut off date but take that with a grain of salt.

FWIW I hope they’re redesigning the adapter. Of course you can get a third party tripod collar, but lack of a tripod collar was a huge oversight IMHO.

Joe Towner

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 02:53:56 pm »

+1 on the tripod collar redesign - structurally, the size of the X1D with something like the 50-110 hanging off the front made me worry/laugh/wtf.  A proper adapter would include a rotating lens foot, and would accommodate the HTS.  Something where the adapter has an Arca clamp as the base, and you'd use a double-sided Arca plate that would allow for attaching to the base of the camera as well.  And maybe a finger plate against the body so I can hold/carry against that rather than the body?

We're coming up on 2 years of the X platform, and while they've increased the lens count to 5 primes, the lack of a zoom means Hass really needs to leverage their existing glass.
t: @PNWMF

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 06:22:57 pm »

Hasselblad have released a tripod collar
https://store.hasselblad.com/products/tripod-mount-ring-75mm?from=accessories
$150US

Perhaps some Chinese maker will make a 75mm adapter.
I was considering buying an 81mm one for under $20 and padding it.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Juanito

• John Raymond Mireles
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 09:14:19 am »

I have the adapter XH for the X1D. Was using it to shoot with the 120mm HC macro. Had to buy a long lens support bracket to use it with a tripod. I wish Hasselblad had released that support bracket a year ago. It's definitely necessary for the big HC glass.

Fotophil

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 11:40:38 am »

I purchased several cheap lens collars from E-bay - beware because most are poorly constructed of cheap cast metal (actually plastic in one case). When the collar breaks it may be bye-bye to both the lens and camera. The third party price for the XH collar was pretty outrageous so the Hasselblad Collar at $150 is a reasonable! The value of the lens and camera will exceed $10K so does the $20 cheap-o collar make any sense?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 03:58:44 am »

The third party price for the XH collar was pretty outrageous so the Hasselblad Collar at $150 is a reasonable! The value of the lens and camera will exceed $10K so does the $20 cheap-o collar make any sense?
Fair call. The collar in Australia will be $265 which is a bit more than a direct conversion + tax dictates.
So it is about 13 x more than the cheapy.
It would be nice if someone came out with a decent one that was only say 5 times more expensive (:-)

Fotophil

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 10:12:52 pm »

OEM lens collars as supplied by Nikon and Canon have always been relatively expensive because the third party collars were not constructed to very high standards. I got a Chinese “Canon collar” for $50 to fit my Canon 70-200 f/4. The hinge was not very strong and kens would not rotate smoothly so the collar is in the junk drawer. Really Right Stuff and Kirk Industries have fabricated very high quality collars for various Canon and Canon lenses and usually sell them for several hundred dollars. The $150 price of the Hasselblad Collar here in the US is a fair price - too bad they couldn’t keep the price elsewhere.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 01:08:02 am »

So I bit the bullet and ordered the 75mm collar off CR Kennedy and it arrived today.
It was bit like buying an Apple product. The packaging was so nice that you wonder if you should open it or just put the box on the shelf.

Anyway, it appears well made. The base is made for the Quick Release connector so I had to add an Arca style plate. Rotating it was fairly easy and it should hold the HC lens range well.
The base extends forward so it comes closer to the nodal point if stitching.

tcdeveau

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 11:00:46 am »

Very cool.  Thanks for sharing Bob. 

I sold the XH adapter I bought initially because I didn't have any budget for H lenses at the time, I may look into it again now. 
-Todd
Pages: [1]   Go Up