Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon F6 (film) with Profoto Air TTL. Anyone?  (Read 1851 times)

Alex Waugh

Nikon F6 (film) with Profoto Air TTL. Anyone?
« on: June 01, 2018, 11:58:19 pm »

Morning all,
I've been commissioned to shoot a job on 35mm film and since I shoot Profoto with my DSLRs it would be great to use my own lights. The F6 isn't listed as compatible with Profoto's Air TTL controllers but I've spoken to them and they assume that it should work. Since the F6 has iTTL and color matrix metering I'm hoping it does, apparently its just not a high priority for testing at Profoto HQ.

Has anyone shot either with the Profoto Air TTL-N controller & an F6 or with the newer A1? I'd love to know whether TTL and/or consistent wireless communication and group settings work properly. I'd be happy to do the testing myself but since I'll have to buy the cameras first and waste a fair bit of film I figured I might as well ask around a few places first. On the odd change any Profoto photographers have an F6 lying around I'd be eternally grateful if you could attach a TTL trigger or A1 and see what happens. I don't expect you to waste film though! Lots of SB5000s would be the other option but apparently radio comms only work with the D5/D500. Pretty poor effort there Nikon.

Before anyone asks, yes I will require TTL for this shoot :)

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Nikon F6 (film) with Profoto Air TTL. Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 06:50:52 am »

I assume you don’t own an f6 yet? I think you are going to have to get your hands on one and do your own testing in any case. If Profoto says it should work, then it is very likely to, but exposure levels are likely to be enough different that you will need to compensate.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

Balafre

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 05:26:15 am »

My friend, unless you have a wealthy and patient benefactor there are sound commercial reasons why you shouldn't shoot on film or with gear you aren't expert with. The commercial latitude your process suggests you require may well outweigh any shred of a profit margin. There's no shame in politely turning the job down! As Musashi taught, "Wise men know their limits"...!  :)

Alex Waugh

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:03:07 pm »

My friend, unless you have a wealthy and patient benefactor there are sound commercial reasons why you shouldn't shoot on film or with gear you aren't expert with. The commercial latitude your process suggests you require may well outweigh any shred of a profit margin. There's no shame in politely turning the job down! As Musashi taught, "Wise men know their limits"...!  :)

Thankyou for the advice sir - its honestly great and I understand where you're coming from. Film is expensive to shoot with and requires great trust on the client side I agree. I know the client well and the scanning/development costs will be separately invoiced from my fee. They know I shoot a fair bit of film in my own time on F3s and I've spent a fair bit of time with D800s so I should be ok. I will of course give myself a week or 2 to get used to the F6 and bring my own cameras as backup. I'll have a digital setup there and might take a few captures on each shot however the danger of breaking out the digital means they will get cold feet when theres no monitor to look at.
Pages: [1]   Go Up