Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Derrick Story's latest podcast  (Read 2230 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Derrick Story's latest podcast
« on: May 29, 2018, 06:35:05 am »

Derrick Story's latest podcast on "Lightroom's future is a bit more cloudy than it was a couple years ago" might interest people here.

davidedric

Re: Derrick Story's latest podcast
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 10:19:49 am »

Very interesting - thanks for posting

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:03:31 am »

I think Lightroom is here to stay for a long time as long as (i) Adobe continues to improve it; (ii) they watch their quality control with every new release and (iii) the price remains reasonable. I say this because I think the fundamentals are good and I believe hundreds of thousands of users world wide probably think likewise.

For me, the really important attributes it has going for it are the following:
(1) I can get the image quality from it that I want without unduly time-consuming editing gymnastics;
(2) It provides an efficient and seamless integrated workflow from ingestion to print;
(3) The catalog and photo retrieval properties are adequate;
(4) It provides quite seamless integration with Photoshop, useful when one really needs it;
(5) The Print module is easy to use and works very well.

Laptop/Desktop catalog synchronization remains an awkward mess which I hope Adobe resolves one of these days.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:00:57 pm »

Competitors and uncertainty in the future of a product is a good thing. It will make Adobe to try harder to keep / gain customers, with better capabilities and performance.

Laptop/Desktop catalog synchronization remains an awkward mess which I hope Adobe resolves one of these days.

Maybe if they decide to evolve from SQLite to something like Postgres

davidedric

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 04:16:03 am »

"Maybe if they decide to evolve from SQLite to something like Postgres"

Yes, if they went that route with a properly functional dbms it could open up some interesting possibilities, with a distributed catalogue and multi user support.  On the other hand, there probably aren't many DBA's among the Lightroom user community!

As an aside, mention of Postgres reminds me of the database wars back in the 80's with Mike Stonebraker's lot slugging it out with Oracle.  For a while we also used Britton Lee "data base machines", another offspring of the Berkley group.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 01:56:54 am »

Derrick Story's latest podcast on "Lightroom's future is a bit more cloudy than it was a couple years ago" might interest people here.

Nothing to see (hear) here...most of his assumptions are incorrect (or overstated).

But making alarming statements is good click-bait! Got me to waste 15 minutes...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 08:01:52 am »

Got me to waste 15 minutes...

Maybe you should have listened while taking a dump?!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 08:41:09 am »

Nothing to see (hear) here...most of his assumptions are incorrect (or overstated).

and most of the factors raised ranging from frivolous to unimportant. It's really sticking one's neck out quite a ways to predicate the demise of such a prominent application on the thin gruel proposed there.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 05:50:09 pm »

It's really sticking one's neck out quite a ways to predicate the demise of such a prominent application on the thin gruel proposed there.

Not really...he was doing a lot of hand waving but in the end said Lightroom will prolly last forever :~)

(and the next time somebody posts a Derrick Story podcast, I will ignore it and go take a dump)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 05:45:00 am »

Totally baffles me why people like Luminar.  At least, I cannot imagine why anybody who finds Luminar's slant on photography attractive would have much need for a fully featured DAM.  In fact from what I see scattered around the www, even in Lightroom only a small minority use the Library in any serious way....

I suspect Derrick Story is not totally unconnected with Luminar :-)
--
David Mantripp
Pages: [1]   Go Up