Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo  (Read 3771 times)

ARD

• http://
MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo
« on: October 08, 2006, 08:07:15 am »

At the moment I use the Canon 100 f2.8 for macro work.

I like it and the pictures it produces are comparable to an L type lens.

But, after reading reviews of the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo it seems as though if you want to get really close this lens is the one.

I have also read though that this lens can be a difficult one to use.

Any thoughts?

yoni

• http://www.lighttrace.com
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 10:18:18 am »

Depends on what you mean by difficult.

With a dual ring flash and hand held, its heavy. Focal plane is narrow and so difficult to get right on a single shot. However, I typically shoot multiple shots once I decide on the composition and the desired plane of focus. Lately I have been using it with a monopod that has made it a fair bit easier to handle. Compare it to shooting a 100  both set for 1x, and you will find no significant difference. Yes the 100 gives you a bit more working distance, 35mm to be exact, but whether thats an advantage or not depends on the subject. Yes the 100 is autofocus, but you'll rarely use autofocus in macro work anyhow.

In all I use the 65, 100, 180, 90 TS-E, and 300 f4 for macro work with the latter two used with extensions. They differ in weight (a big factor in handheld macro work), working distance (an issue with skittish insects). But really none are more difficult than any other with perhaps the exception of the 90 TS-E, and perhaps my difficulty here is simply my current lack of experience with this lens.

As for difficulty in use in the sense of making esthetically pleasing images, well that all depends on your  creativity, vision, and skill. No different than any other lens in general but here the art is extreme extraction, and in most of the art work I do, abstraction.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 12:18:32 pm »

I think it is a great lens but it does get very tricky to use after 2x.  I find a sturdy tripod is needed.  You need to get very close and to the DOF is very narrow. As the magnification gets higher, it becomes more difficult to get your target in focus.  Like anything else it takes some practice.  I am considering selling mine aat some point because I rarely use more than 2x and I currently have my MF macro lens with extension tubes that gets to 2x.

I agree with the above poster that the 90mm TSE is an outanding macro with extension tubes.  I also have the 180mm and if i am traveling light, I take the TSE with some extension tubes. That lens can be my most used lens depending on the trip.  

Mark

But, after reading reviews of the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo it seems as though if you want to get really close this lens is the one.

Any thoughts?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

stever

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 07:13:48 pm »

i find that both the 100macro and the 90 TS work well with telextenders (although the 100 requires a 12mm tube betweene the lens and the extender

also use a 500C on both these lenses with good results

unless you need more than 2x, i'd stick with the 100 and add tubes, extenders, 500C as required -- the internal focusing really does make composition quicker

have not found that the 100 autofocuses usefully for macro

have had good luck with the MT-24 on both these lenses, although often put one flash on a longer adjustable bracket for fill lighting

ARD

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 12:14:46 pm »

i find that both the 100macro and the 90 TS work well with telextenders (although the 100 requires a 12mm tube betweene the lens and the extender

also use a 500C on both these lenses with good results

unless you need more than 2x, i'd stick with the 100 and add tubes, extenders, 500C as required -- the internal focusing really does make composition quicker

have not found that the 100 autofocuses usefully for macro

have had good luck with the MT-24 on both these lenses, although often put one flash on a longer adjustable bracket for fill lighting
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79591\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Many thanks for all of the replies. Didn't know that I could use the extender with a 12mm tube, will give that a go.

What is a 500C

Roberto Chaves

• http://www.tabi.se
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 05:33:07 pm »

Any thoughts?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79537\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello ARD,

I own the MP-E 65mm and love it. It's a very special lens and requires a great deal of patience, but you can create some very interesting imagery with it if you take the time.

If you wish to capture pictures of insects you should absolutely buy one of Canons macro flashes, either the ring flash or the dual head flash. As you will in many cases need the light to get a larger depth of field with a resonable shutterspeed.
However I've shot plenty of pictures without flash, many using a tripod but surprisingly many handheld  without a flash (at ISO 1600 though) with beautiful results!
Have a look at my gallery, under Mood, on my website for some examples (www.tabi.se)

Keep in mind that there is no autofocus, so control focus by changing zoom level or by moving the camera!

So if you want easy macro photography stick with the 100mm f2.8 macro, which is a   very nice lens too.

You should probably try it before purchasing, to decide if it's something for you.

Best regards,
 Roberto Chaves
Best regards,
 Roberto Chaves  www.tabi.

ARD

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 01:13:33 pm »

Hello ARD,

I own the MP-E 65mm and love it. It's a very special lens and requires a great deal of patience, but you can create some very interesting imagery with it if you take the time.

If you wish to capture pictures of insects you should absolutely buy one of Canons macro flashes, either the ring flash or the dual head flash. As you will in many cases need the light to get a larger depth of field with a resonable shutterspeed.
However I've shot plenty of pictures without flash, many using a tripod but surprisingly many handheld  without a flash (at ISO 1600 though) with beautiful results!
Have a look at my gallery, under Mood, on my website for some examples (www.tabi.se)

Keep in mind that there is no autofocus, so control focus by changing zoom level or by moving the camera!

So if you want easy macro photography stick with the 100mm f2.8 macro, which is a   very nice lens too.

You should probably try it before purchasing, to decide if it's something for you.

Best regards,
 Roberto Chaves
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=79722\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Many thanks for the reply Roberto, very informative
Pages: [1]   Go Up