Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: And People Wonder Why the Legal Profession Has A Bad Reputation  (Read 834 times)

Kevin Gallagher

The fact that a so called "lawyer" even took this case much less whatever kind of "Judge" is allowing it to go forward speaks volumes. Perhaps the two rodents bringing the suit are related to the woman who got the one million bucks for being burned by the hot coffee many years back?

just Unbelievable!!

http://www.wdrb.com/story/38285133/mcdonalds-customers-suing-for-5m-over-unwanted-quarter-pounder-cheese
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Rob C

Re: And People Wonder Why the Legal Profession Has A Bad Reputation
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 03:05:59 pm »

The fact that a so called "lawyer" even took this case much less whatever kind of "Judge" is allowing it to go forward speaks volumes. Perhaps the two rodents bringing the suit are related to the woman who got the one million bucks for being burned by the hot coffee many years back?

just Unbelievable!!

http://www.wdrb.com/story/38285133/mcdonalds-customers-suing-for-5m-over-unwanted-quarter-pounder-cheese

It's an American practice that has spread to Europe - just as did political correctness. What are you gonna do?

Speaking for myself, as a layman, the sooner people desert that kind of eating, the better they will feel. Perhaps the two rodents are doing this for the sake of humanity; you know, an altruistic grand gesture?

:-)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 04:38:49 pm »

Do we have all the details? The Macdonalds hot coffee lawsuit seemed frivolous at first, but once all the facts were known, things weren't so silly. There are plenty of web articles about that lawsuit, I think it was even discussed on this forum. Clickbait media only report enough to get people interested, informing them is a secondary consideration.

Is this burger/cheese thing a class action suit? On the face of it, it seems like it could fit that category. There is an instructive podcast about class action suits here: https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510289/planet-money, and you'll need to scroll down to the May 16, 2018 episode.
--
Robert

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 07:36:32 pm »

It seems perfectly reasonable to charge extra for a custom order.
Phil Brown

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 03:47:19 am »

The lawyers accepted instructions, which may be reprehensible; but the grasping avarice of the client is quite staggering.

Jeremy

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 06:09:50 am »

Hi Jeremy, I know you are in the UK and I know very, very, little about your legal system (except through the BBC shows ;)) but to me, it is absurd that the court would even allow something so ridiculous to go forward.
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 06:40:14 am »

It appears to be a class action which suggests it might be a set up by the lawyers.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 07:09:51 am »

According to my deep knowledge of US laws, Mc Donalds could decide to increase their prices by a factor 100, make the cheese burger 20 times cheaper, it would still be legal as long as they sell what they advertise. ;)

But yes... on the point... this is ridiculous... and will end up killing all commercial creativity in the US because legal teams - hired to protect companies from other legal teams - will stop every initiative that may have the sligthest chance of opening the door to a court suit.

At the end of the day, this is a coup d'etat from the legal community who is pulling a huge amount of money towards them at the cost of much more valuable applications, such as curing people from cancer.

Reduce the number of lawyers by a factor of 5 and the number of litigation will drop accordingly.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:14:05 am by BernardLanguillier »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 07:33:04 am »

As I see it, the hamburger is bad enough, but the cheese makes it even more harmful. They should award free lifetime supply of Big Macs to the entire legal team.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 01:29:42 pm »

Hi Jeremy, I know you are in the UK and I know very, very, little about your legal system (except through the BBC shows ;)) but to me, it is absurd that the court would even allow something so ridiculous to go forward.

In England, the defendants would probably apply either to have the claim struck out as showing no cause of action or for summary judgment, standing no chance of success. It would not be for the Court to make any determination on merit of its own motion, without the involvement of the defendant.

I'd imagine there are similar provisions in the US.

And I strongly suspect Bernard is right: it would still be legal as long as they sell what they advertise.

Jeremy

Manoli

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 02:32:54 pm »

The lawyers accepted instructions, which may be reprehensible; but the grasping avarice of the client is quite staggering.

Cart before the horse, Jeremy ?  I very much doubt any lawyer 'accepted instruction' ( if so, from whom? ). More than probable they were the source inspiration behind the brainwave.

This is a class action, in all likelihood on a 'no cure, no pay' basis with a 25-33% fee on any final award - and that's before punitive damages should the claimants eventually be successful.  All the lawyer(s) had to do was persuade enough people to sign on the dotted line, for a no-risk, no cost, chance of a windfall.
Pages: [1]   Go Up