Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P9000, First Stubborn clog  (Read 5070 times)

loomitz

Epson P9000, First Stubborn clog
« on: May 24, 2018, 06:07:33 am »

Hi, Guys in the forum

As some of you know I have an Epson P9000, bought it on January 2017, this Sunday my magenta channel gets a clog, a stubborn clog.
I already try:

-   4 clean cycles
-   1 clean head  with paper towel and piezo flush (resting the paper towel an hour)
-   And call the “technician”

The technician, Horror story:

First you need to know that I’m form Mexico, in the city I live there is only one Epson technician, Epson Mexico contact him for me, the guy came and charge me $65usd to clean the head and the capping station, he toll me if he unclog the printer its going to be the double $170usd, I accepted and he proceed to cleaned the equipment in the most complicated way possible, decided to disassemble part of the printer and removed the whole ink system unit, just to clean the flushing box, and the capping station with Windex and a paper towel, then he clean the printhead just by spraying some windex on the printing head.

So he assemble all the parts, and run 3 clean cycles, the result: the same clogg.

Long story short he give me this options:
1.- Change the whole ink system unit $800usd
2.- (if that not fix the problem) Change the printhead $2,800usd
3.- The printer in México cost $5,918usd
before he leaves, he clarifies "that epson does not offer warranty on spare parts so he can not guarantee that changing the pieces will solve the problem".

I am currently printing in maximum quality without problems (no lines, no banding, No weird colors) I attached a pic of the clogg.
Now I'm thinking between fixing the printer with another technician or if I finish the supplies and buy a Canon pro 4000

I really like the print quality of the p9000 but the service is bad and I could never buy a warranty extension or something because in Mexico Epson does not offer more than a year warranty.

Ps. i print almost every day.

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
Re: Epson P9000, First Stubborn clog
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 07:13:31 am »

I’d be surprised if a single segment clog would show up in prints. Can you see it in a print? Is there visible banding? A single segment clog is quiet likely to resolve itself over time. 
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:19:59 am »

That Magenta channel clog you show is only one nozzle. Have you tried printing with it the way it is? Are the results OK? Maybe if you go on printing, keeping the printer turned off over night it will clear itself. You don't mention what kind of cleanings you did. According to Epson's cleaning instructions for the 5000 (9000 may be similar) you do three normal cleans followed by one heavy clean and if it still isn't clear shut the printer overnight and resume the next day. If still clogged and the same process again the next day doesn't clear, go to the Admin menu and do a powerful clean of the VM channel pair.

I am surprised the technician used Windex on the print head. Every technician inside and outside of Epson I have discussed this with tells me that Windex can damage the laminates in the print head. It is OK to use it on other components but not on the print head. Did he install a new damper and pump/cap assembly? That may be the source of the problem. Changing those parts helped me when I was having repeated problems with my 4900 several years ago.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

loomitz

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 12:25:27 pm »

I’d be surprised if a single segment clog would show up in prints. Can you see it in a print? Is there visible banding? A single segment clog is quiet likely to resolve itself over time.

if i print in quality 4, a little little line appears only on heavy magenta images, but if i print in 5, no lines at all.

That Magenta channel clog you show is only one nozzle. Have you tried printing with it the way it is? Are the results OK? Maybe if you go on printing, keeping the printer turned off over night it will clear itself. You don't mention what kind of cleanings you did. According to Epson's cleaning instructions for the 5000 (9000 may be similar) you do three normal cleans followed by one heavy clean and if it still isn't clear shut the printer overnight and resume the next day. If still clogged and the same process again the next day doesn't clear, go to the Admin menu and do a powerful clean of the VM channel pair.

I am surprised the technician used Windex on the print head. Every technician inside and outside of Epson I have discussed this with tells me that Windex can damage the laminates in the print head. It is OK to use it on other components but not on the print head. Did he install a new damper and pump/cap assembly? That may be the source of the problem. Changing those parts helped me when I was having repeated problems with my 4900 several years ago.

Mark, i make the 2 normal cycles and one heavy, then i do the powerful, the only thing i didnt made turn the printer off all night, it go to sleep all night not tunr off, is there any differnce?

right now, i keep the printer working and im searching a new technician in nearby cities, because he didnt offer to change the dampers, and the pump/cap he offers to change the Wholes Ink unit, the one that contains the pump, cap, whiper blade, flushing box and when i ask him about the dampers he toll me that he cant do that.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:06:52 pm »

if i print in quality 4, a little little line appears only on heavy magenta images, but if i print in 5, no lines at all.

Mark, i make the 2 normal cycles and one heavy, then i do the powerful, the only thing i didnt made turn the printer off all night, it go to sleep all night not tunr off, is there any differnce?

right now, i keep the printer working and im searching a new technician in nearby cities, because he didnt offer to change the dampers, and the pump/cap he offers to change the Wholes Ink unit, the one that contains the pump, cap, whiper blade, flushing box and when i ask him about the dampers he toll me that he cant do that.

Epson does recommend letting the printer rest over night if all those cleaning cycles haven't worked and retrying the next day, as the down time could help issues to resolve themselves, and also prevents air from infecting the system as a result of too much cleaning at one time.

Perhaps you will have a better outcome with another technician but I suggest retrying that cleaning and resting sequence for another two or three cycles before spending more on technical help. It may self-resolve this way.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up