Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying files  (Read 1902 times)

RMW

Copying files
« on: May 23, 2018, 04:02:43 pm »

Hello All.
Want to copy 2 TBs of fotos from an external hard-drive to a 4 TB external hard-drive.
Apple says the only way to do it is to put everything (piece by piece) on the internal h-d which would be cumbersome as my iMac is a 1 TB internal h-d. And they say they know of no software that can do it.
Maybe I can find a computer store to do this for me, but I'm wondering if there's a simple way to do it myself.
Any suggestions appreciated!
Richard

rdonson

Re: Copying files
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:48:26 pm »

I use Carbon Copy Cloner on my Macs and I use it for copying from one external drive to another external drive all the time.  No problems.
Regards,
Ron

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 03:39:45 am »

If you can mount both external HDs at the same time, what prevents you using the Finder, or CC Cloner, or ChronoSync or any other utility (even cp in Terminal) to copy from one to the other?

If you can't mount them at the same time, why not? Which model of Mac do you have, and what connectors do the external drives use?

I'm puzzled at the difficulty you're having.

Jeremy

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 04:07:39 am »

Hello All.
Want to copy 2 TBs of fotos from an external hard-drive to a 4 TB external hard-drive.
Richard

Just connect both and drag the contains of the 2TB to the 4TB...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 10:25:07 pm »

I'm going to assume you have 2 USB2/3 external disks and that's what you're talking about, right? Or are they bare drives and you only have one dock?

+1 for Chronosync - https://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html

Plus it can talk to B2 (aka BackBlaze business class storage for $0.005/per gig per month, or $5.12 per TB per month)
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up