Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: help - prints are poor (z3100 & qimage)  (Read 562 times)

Endeavour

help - prints are poor (z3100 & qimage)
« on: May 23, 2018, 10:18:19 am »

I had a setup which I was very happy with until recently:

Win10
HP Z3100 photo
Capture One
Photoshop
QImage

My prints were exactly how I wanted them to be, I felt I had a good grasp on my colours and soft proofing was working pretty good.
Then my windows went wonky and I had to reinstall. Now my prints are terrible

I have a fresh install of win10, latest (win7) Raster drivers for my printer from HP's website. I also downloaded the latest version of QImage
I have calibrated my monitor (xrite idisplay)
Using the HP Utility I have syncronised the paper presets, so my profiles are restored to my windows machine from the printer (love that feature)

I fire up Qimage and change to my z3100 and load the paper profile and set the printer driver to disable ICM & set 'Application managed' for the colors
I print out an 8x10 test. The print is horrid. over saturated and shifted colors.

If I set printer manages colors I get a much better result, but still not good enough, like the prints I used to be able to achieve.

I doubt very much there is a problem with QImage, this is a problem of my own making, I just wondered if anyone can think of an obvious thing or step I am missing?
I must admit to feeling a little overwhelmed when trying to 're-learn' qimage, due to the amount of quirks in the software and sprawling tutorials out there

If I ever get back to my perfect prints I might try and write a concise setup so if the worst happens again, I am not out in the cold

Ernst Dinkla

Re: help - prints are poor (z3100 & qimage)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 02:38:54 pm »

I had a setup which I was very happy with until recently:

Win10
HP Z3100 photo
Capture One
Photoshop
QImage

My prints were exactly how I wanted them to be, I felt I had a good grasp on my colours and soft proofing was working pretty good.
Then my windows went wonky and I had to reinstall. Now my prints are terrible

I have a fresh install of win10, latest (win7) Raster drivers for my printer from HP's website. I also downloaded the latest version of QImage
I have calibrated my monitor (xrite idisplay)
Using the HP Utility I have syncronised the paper presets, so my profiles are restored to my windows machine from the printer (love that feature)

I fire up Qimage and change to my z3100 and load the paper profile and set the printer driver to disable ICM & set 'Application managed' for the colors
I print out an 8x10 test. The print is horrid. over saturated and shifted colors.

If I set printer manages colors I get a much better result, but still not good enough, like the prints I used to be able to achieve.

I doubt very much there is a problem with QImage, this is a problem of my own making, I just wondered if anyone can think of an obvious thing or step I am missing?
I must admit to feeling a little overwhelmed when trying to 're-learn' qimage, due to the amount of quirks in the software and sprawling tutorials out there

If I ever get back to my perfect prints I might try and write a concise setup so if the worst happens again, I am not out in the cold

Qimage One or Ultimate?   Tiff or RAW file?   Printed before and recalled from job log?

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

enduser

Re: help - prints are poor (z3100 & qimage)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 08:24:45 pm »

Sounds very like my problem. I now have to use "Printer manages color".  Thing about Qimage is the log it keeps of all print jobs.  Load an earlier setup from File/Automated job log.  Choose a job where you got a good print.  If it still looks good, or if it looks all wrong, well that tells you something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up