Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke Break  (Read 690 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Smoke Break
« on: May 23, 2018, 07:47:47 am »

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Smoke Break
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 07:53:48 am »

Good one, Chris. I've been lamenting the fact that I pushed for a street segment after looking at the stuff that gets posted in it by people who've never become familiar with street, but think they know what it is. Keep posting stuff like this and I may change my mind.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 02:57:00 pm »

:D
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 03:25:12 pm »

Okay -- why do I think this is good street? First, by using a shallow DOF Chris turned the subject into an outline. It sort of jumps out at you that: (1) This is a woman. Since the background has been subdued completely you clearly can see her fingernails and her long, dangling earrings. (2) This is a particular kind of woman. Look at the way she's done her hair. It's clear she's the kind of gal who's never in doubt. And the smoke. Nobody's gonna tell her how to live her life. Have you ever known a woman like this? I'll bet you have. I know I have. I practically can hear this gal's voice. Chris saw something most humans will recognize immediately and took the trouble to catch it properly and pass it on. There's ambiguity here too. That's good street.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:41:16 pm »

Well, I am really just learning as I am probably as guilty as anyone of posting what I think is street only to be admonished that it is close, but no cigar. I am sort of baffled as to why my post, "Fat Tuesday" is not considered street when I took considerable time to wait for that shot to happen. I followed this couple for a few minutes and when I saw them aligned with the (and I'll get whacked for this, ces't la vie) fat couple and the baby, that's when I chose to couple the pair, the parents and use the cups as the common thread. There was nothing accidental about the shot, though there was quite a bit of serendipitous coincidental connectivity.

bassman51

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 08:13:40 pm »

I’d add that good Street shooting doesn’t sacrifice composition.  Your placement of the woman’s head at 1/3 and her hand about the center; the leading line of the pavement crack off to the blurred infinity; the parallel lines of the slats in the chair and the line in the background d - all of these make this picture much more than a random shot of jumbled stuff on the street.

Good work!
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

GreggP

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 09:26:23 pm »

I like this, too. I struggle with tying together good compositional elements and subjects that tell a story. The best are those that inspire the viewer to make up their own. I think this photo accomplishes both.
Pages: [1]   Go Up