Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Defiance!  (Read 1548 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Defiance!
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:09:55 pm »

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Defiance!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:34:32 pm »

Ha!

Great minds, etc.

Although I would have posted mine more likely in a Landscape Showcase.

Chris Kern

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:43:01 pm »

Great minds, etc.

Hmmm.  Interesting choice of horizon.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 01:10:35 pm »

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

Not sure it is Street but it is fine image, finely processed.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 02:12:38 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Kern

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 04:52:28 pm »

Not sure it is Street

If your sense of what constitutes "street" requires the presence of a street (or some other urban locale), I guess I would have to concede the point.

I tend to use a more expansive definition.*  I think of street photographs as images of people (and perhaps animals or artifacts) interacting with their environment (regardless of the locale) in a way that evokes a narrative (which may vary with different viewers) rather than a literal statement of fact (i.e., "this is exactly and only what happened to be in front of the lens when the shutter was snapped").

In this case, the narrative—at least, my personal narrative—is that the little boy was challenging the waves to reach him.  That's why I titled the photo Defiance!

But perhaps that's demanding too much of this image.  I watched the young man playing at the edge of the surf over several minutes.  My opinion of what he was doing—the narrative—was undoubtedly influenced by seeing the way he would sidle up to the water's edge, wait for a wave, then back away ... before starting the process all over again.

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

Of course, if you don't accept the narrative definition of street photography, all of that is irrelevant.  And even if you do, you're welcome to come up with your own narrative.  I would never presume to speak for my pictures.

Quote from: * Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking Glass (1872)
“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

“The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

“The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”

stamper

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 03:29:31 am »

Why not call it beach photography?  :-\

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:15:32 am »

Why not call it beach photography?  :-\

Because that cuts right through the extended logic - to the chase, as it were.

Street on beach is Political Correctness; the essence of inclusion, or would that be inclusivity? (You gotta read more pseudo-scientific papers if you want to keep up to speed - LuLa has many experts who can help you get a handle on it! Be grateful!)

:-)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 08:03:15 am »

So, even though it is at the beach, and it does depict to some degree defiance, though I saw it more as "Temptation," is this street or just a lucky catch?
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 08:07:32 am »

Hi Chris, It's a picture of a kid playing at the beach. That's all it is, and all it needs to be. It's good stuff just as it is.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 09:05:48 am »

Chris, that triptich is brilliant. You caught absolutely perfect moments and facial and body expressions. Bravo!

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 09:52:11 am »

Thanks, Russ and Slobodan; this was a moment in which, while I was too far away to hear the conversation between the girl and her mother, it was evident that getting that dress wet would not have a favorable response...and she did get a small pop or two to her bum for all her efforts. I knew from the moment she bent down, she was going to test the waters...it was just up to me to capture the right moments of her test.

My attorney's wife who is also an attorney, bought this and she says it is the total embodiment of the Civil Rights Movement. She is exceptionally intellectual, and saw what I did not and to be honest, I am not sure I still see what she saw, but I understand her interpretation.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up