Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: True "Hollandia", with a sense of Wabi Sabi  (Read 2464 times)

32BT

• Pictures
True "Hollandia", with a sense of Wabi Sabi
« on: May 20, 2018, 04:26:11 am »

During the first half of the 20th century, many Chinese people fled their country, and then tried to migrate by boat to the US, Canada, or England. Those boats usually made a stop in Rotterdam harbor, and hence a lot of Chinese migrants ended up in the Netherlands. Then, due to the postwar issues with Indonesia, a lot of Indonesians and expats came to the Netherlands.

As a result, we got a unique concept in the Netherlands: a combination of Chinese Indonesian food establishments. Those expats, and Indonesians, and Chinese obviously liked to eat the food of their former home countries, and so you got that unique combination of styles and flavours gradually adapted to the dutch palate as well. (Less spicy, more sweet, vegies cooked to death). These gradually became the de facto standard restaurants for a whole generations of a typical dutch family to have celebrations, but also for take-away diners serving ample portions of cheap food that would last you several days, etc. Eventually, every town, no matter how small, would have an establishment of some kind.

These restaurants were generally called "Chinese Indonesian Specialty Restaurant" which was usually shortened to "Chin. Ind. Spec. Rest."

It's a withering phenomenon and out of nostalgia and his love for the melancholic, Mark van Wonderen decided to photograph all the remaining establishments (1090 of them) and publish a book.

It is a distinctly dutch phenomenon and ever since our own Bob David's americana pictures i have been wondering what would be considered typically Hollandia (not being the tourist stuff like windmills and all). Well, this is it. I would have loved to have done this project myself.

https://www.chinindspecrest.nl/impressie

(He probably started with a cellphone not yet intending to publish anything, which might explain the quality of some of the entries.)
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

Re: True "Hollandia", with a sense of Wabi Sabi
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 04:38:59 am »

During the first half of the 20th century, many Chinese people fled their country, and then tried to migrate by boat to the US, Canada, or England. Those boats usually made a stop in Rotterdam harbor, and hence a lot of Chinese migrants ended up in the Netherlands. Then, due to the postwar issues with Indonesia, a lot of Indonesians and expats came to the Netherlands.

As a result, we got a unique concept in the Netherlands: a combination of Chinese Indonesian food establishments. Those expats, and Indonesians, and Chinese obviously liked to eat the food of their former home countries, and so you got that unique combination of styles and flavours gradually adapted to the dutch palate as well. (Less spicy, more sweet, vegies cooked to death). These gradually became the de facto standard restaurants for a whole generations of a typical dutch family to have celebrations, but also for take-away diners serving ample portions of cheap food that would last you several days, etc. Eventually, every town, no matter how small, would have an establishment of some kind.

These restaurants were generally called "Chinese Indonesian Specialty Restaurant" which was usually shortened to "Chin. Ind. Spec. Rest."

It's a withering phenomenon and out of nostalgia and his love for the melancholic, Mark van Wonderen decided to photograph all the remaining establishments (1090 of them) and publish a book.

It is a distinctly dutch phenomenon and ever since our own Bob David's americana pictures i have been wondering what would be considered typically Hollandia (not being the tourist stuff like windmills and all). Well, this is it. I would have loved to have done this project myself.

(He probably started with a cellphone not yet intending to publish anything, which might explain the quality of some of the entries.)

Quite a problem, Oscar; not like you could do hillwalking or hang-gliding themes...

Has anyone thought of doing a Fulvio Roiter? ;-)

Rob

Edit: didn't you already make a start with the industrial landscape along canals? Seems a great idea to me. Ronis, HC-B - they all felt drawn.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:30:14 am by Rob C »

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 01:54:43 pm »

Quite a problem, Oscar; not like you could do hillwalking or hang-gliding themes...

Has anyone thought of doing a Fulvio Roiter? ;-)

Rob

Edit: didn't you already make a start with the industrial landscape along canals? Seems a great idea to me. Ronis, HC-B - they all felt drawn.

Yes, i know you are now drawn to those dark and moody possibilities of industrial areas, but i reached citycenter where i have to come up (or put up) with architectural stuff which has to compete with whatever the real-estate agents and developers offer themselves in the form of brochures and unfortunately the little sony thingies simply did not deliver the goods.

Maybe with pano stitching it could, but doing that sufficiently equiped one might as well purchase a decent camera.

On the bright side, i do have the use of an A7 at my disposal, but now my private life needs some serious upgrading to get back into a more creative flux. Perhaps i should revisit those industrial sites and come back with ultra dark, moody captures. Doubt it will sell as well, but it certainly would reflect congruently...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 02:37:48 pm »

Yes, i know you are now drawn to those dark and moody possibilities of industrial areas, but i reached citycenter where i have to come up (or put up) with architectural stuff which has to compete with whatever the real-estate agents and developers offer themselves in the form of brochures and unfortunately the little sony thingies simply did not deliver the goods.

Maybe with pano stitching it could, but doing that sufficiently equiped one might as well purchase a decent camera.

On the bright side, i do have the use of an A7 at my disposal, but now my private life needs some serious upgrading to get back into a more creative flux. Perhaps i should revisit those industrial sites and come back with ultra dark, moody captures. Doubt it will sell as well, but it certainly would reflect congruently...

Do you have local tv stations that might make use of "dark 'n' gloomy" as stills for news or documentary programmes? Even a programme of its own? Movies have been made from stills for quite a while... access to a copy camera set-up?

Maybe this is all computer work today - I don't know; maybe Fred can tell you?

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:47:38 am »

:-)

The indonesian / Chinese combination doesn't speak in all pictures imo. Lot's of pictures could be taken in Belgium or any country where you find Chinese restaurants (and that means all over the world) .

I do like typographic series, and the idea is great.

Here in Belgium the typical Belgium French Fries shops are gradually taken over by Chinese peoples (I don't know wo invented the term 'French' fries, Fries are Belgian, damned) We have a new phenomenon : the 'FlietChinees' translated: ChineseFlies.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:50:43 am by Ivo_B »

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 04:13:27 pm »

I discovered Nederlands cuisine in the Middle East via folks I met while staying at a moshav (a kibbutz with a dash of capitalist entrepreneurship thrown in). Basically: whatever you're eating, smother it in peanut sauce.  ;D

Attached pic: some of the Nederlanders in question, with my Indian pal Nobel thrown in for good measure. Taken Oct/Nov 1983.

-Dave-
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:30:53 pm by Telecaster »

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 01:23:50 am »

I discovered Nederlands cuisine in the Middle East via folks I met while staying at a moshav (a kibbutz with a dash of capitalist entrepreneurship thrown in). Basically: whatever you're eating, smother it in peanut sauce.  ;D

Attached pic: some of the Nederlanders in question, with my Indian pal Nobel thrown in for good measure. Taken Oct/Nov 1983.

-Dave-

I like the clockwork orange wall decoration in the background

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 12:02:59 am »

I like the clockwork orange wall decoration in the background

I took this in the moshav's chadar ochel (dining hall). חדר אוכל in Ivrit ("Hebrew"), read right to left. There were many such tapestries, as they were called, throughout the village.

-Dave-

James Clark

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 01:42:10 pm »

-Dave-

Am I the only one that sees echoes of The Last Supper in this shot? :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 03:01:03 pm »

Am I the only one that sees echoes of The Last Supper in this shot? :)

Nope. The Last Supper was an all-male event ;)

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2018, 01:30:22 am »

Nope. The Last Supper was an all-male event ;)

I don't know about that; I wasn't there. But peanut sauce would have worked wonders.
Pages: [1]   Go Up