Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens for Bosque  (Read 5007 times)

pkriner

Lens for Bosque
« on: October 07, 2006, 11:14:26 am »

Going to Bosque in early December.  Struggling with questions regarding taking my 200-400 or my Nikon 600.  Most people say take both.  If that's the case, any thoughts on how to travel with all this gera plus computers etc.

Patrick

pkriner

Lens for Bosque
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 09:19:15 pm »

60!  Count them 60 people looked at my request and not one reply.  I guess My question is not appropriate for this section.

P.

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
Lens for Bosque
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 09:04:24 am »

Well, I might answer if:

1 - I knew where Bosque was.
2 - I had any experience of lenses over 200 mm.

If Bosque is in fact Basque, the disputed but beautiful territory in northern Spain and south western France, I can tell you that there are some big birds and stuff if that's your thing.  The surf is also incredible at the moment so if fit tanned blokes crawling out of the ocean, shaking salt water from their sun bleached hair and then peeling themselves out of wetsuits is your thing, I'd take the 200-400.  For action shots in the waves you'll want a convertor on either of the lenses - my friends who shoot surfing for a living reckon 800-1200mm is what you need when the waves are big.

I don't know your travel arrangements but I'd probably Fed Ex the gear in Peli cases.

mbridgers

Lens for Bosque
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 09:25:25 am »

I think he means Bosque del Apache, for migratory bird photos.

You may find some insight here:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/locations/bosque.shtml

There's also a segment on one of the early Video Journals -- issue 2 I think.

macgyver

Lens for Bosque
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 10:23:22 am »

I have no experiance here, but why not take both.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Lens for Bosque
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 10:42:15 am »

I am going to Bosque (del Apache) in about 6 weeks. I'm a Canon shooter, 5D and 20D. This will be my first time there but I've researched this to the extent possible. I am taking...

70-200 IS - probably will my most used, from what I can tell and what I want to achieve (environmental portrait of several birds, flyaways)

300 f/4 IS - I am most skilled hand-tracking airborne subjects with this. I'll probably couple it with a 1.4TC at times.

400 f/5.6 - because Art Morris insists this is "the lens" in all his writings. It is small enough too include, but I am leery because of no IS.

500 f/4 IS - If anything stands still long enough for my feeble skills with this monster, I will give it a go with my Wimberley head. Individual bird portraits are not always the primary goal for folks attending Bosque, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me, so, I need to bring it and try.

Based on all of this gear, I have decided to drive rather than fly. I have two other mates in the SUV to share the expenses and the driving (2.5 days on the road from Cleveland). If I didn't drive, I would cut back. Others in our party that are flying are finding air travel restrictions a real pain in the arse.

Most important item: Gitzo 1325 with RRS 55 and full Wimberley head.

To answer your specific question: the 200-400 is WAY more useful than the 600, according to normal usage patterns.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 10:45:22 am by boku »
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

sralser

Lens for Bosque
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 11:37:43 am »

500 f/4 IS - If anything stands still long enough for my feeble skills with this monster, I will give it a go with my Wimberley head. Individual bird portraits are not always the primary goal for folks attending Bosque, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me, so, I need to bring it and try.

There is lots of oppurtunity for individual bird portraits at the Bosque, although a lot of the draw of the bosque is sunrise take off and sunset arrival.   i wish I had a longer lens when I lived in NM.  At the time I had an Elan II and the 100-400 lens.  You can actually do a lot of bird portraits with shorter lenses (300-400) as the birds are used to people and stay reasonably close at times.

This panaroma will give you an idea of how far the snow geese are from the road
snow geese panorama.

I want to get back there with my digital stuff - but with 2 small kids it's difficult to do.

Have fun - it's  a great place.  I lived in Socorro for 11 years (15 mins norht of the Bosque)

Steve (now in Madison)

matt4626

Lens for Bosque
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 02:40:22 pm »

IMHO Carry on the 200-400. Insure the 600 (home owners policy works well) and send it, well padded in checked lugagge. I check my 500 f4 from Kenya to the USA. Four flights and it showed up on time and in perfect shape!

elkhornsun

Lens for Bosque
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 08:53:31 pm »

Thom Hogan has pretty much replaced his 600mm f 4 lens with the 200-400mm f4 VR.
At 400mm with the 1.7x teleconverter on a APS-C sensor equipped camera, you have the film picture angle equivalent of a 1000MM F6.3 VR lens.

With the 2:1 zoom you do have some options for adjusting the crop without moving the tripod.

The 200-400mm VR is very good for panning, and in a pinch can be shot hand held. Not something I would think of trying to do with the 600mm f4 lens.

The birds at Bosque tend to be rather large so you can get away with using something less than the 600mm with or without a 1.4 teleconverter attached.

Ed Dubois

Lens for Bosque
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2006, 11:47:17 am »

When I shot there I found the 500 and 100-400 (Canon) were the range I used most although something shorter would have been nice too. The big lens is really useful for isolating individual birds and getting numerous species of smaller birds while the zoom is great for flight and groups of birds. Bring a beanbag too (as well as your tripod) because you will do a lot of shooting from your car.

A heavy parka, hat, boots and gloves are a must too as the dawn patrol there can be very cold when the winds come up and the ice is on the ponds.

smurdock

Lens for Bosque
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2006, 01:50:30 pm »

Patrick,

I just returned from Bosque del Apache.  I am a Canon shooter and used the 500 IS, 70-200 IS and 100-400 IS lenses.  Many Nikon shooters I saw were using 500 and 70-200VR lenses.  Even though the birds, mostly geese and cranes, are large the 500-600 focal length is very useful.  The shorter zooms such as the 70-200VR can be easily handheld and complement them nicely.  The 200-400 lenses I saw were used almost exclusively on tripods.

I used a Wimberley Sidekick with my 500 but next time I visit Bosque I will definitely take the regular Wimberley II head.  It is not much larger and is much less fussy to use with the 500.

Have fun.  It is a great spot to photograph.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up