Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: F**k Yeah, We're Open!  (Read 1202 times)

Two23

F**k Yeah, We're Open!
« on: May 18, 2018, 10:01:53 am »

I don't have a whole lot of opportunity to do classic "street" photography in my largely rural state, but every now and then large crowds gather here.  One such event is the annual "Sturgis Motorcycle Rally" held in August in the small Western town of Sturgis, South Dakota.  About half a million bikers show up.  Every few years I head out with a couple of cameras:  one old, one new.  Below shot was taken with the Leica IIIc (c.1942) and Leica 50mm f3.5 (c.1932) on Ilford HP5.  Metering was done with a Minolta IVf.  Yes, I cut the legs off, but I didn't have the Leica LTM zoom and you have to shoot fast.  I think I caught the moment none the less. :)

Photo:  The Bouncer

Kent in SD

Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: F**k Yeah, We're Open!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 10:06:38 am »

Now that's street, Kent!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:22:07 am »

Now that's street, Kent!

Why? Strikes me as rather documentary.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 10:24:35 am »

Slobodan, perhaps you need to read or re-read those damn books!

;-)

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 10:29:30 am »

That's one fook of a photo!

RSL

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 03:16:42 pm »

Because it illustrates a lifestyle and gets across the point that that lifestyle is pretty crappy.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 03:27:46 pm »

Because it illustrates a lifestyle and gets across the point that that lifestyle is pretty crappy.

Yep, the lifestyle does look crappy. Maybe the bikes are expensive, but the people who own them don't do themselves any favours. I guess it may be slumming on the Amex card.

But then, I never could understand why anybody would think of themself as a backgound to drawings in ink. Especially women: it looks awful to me.

;-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 04:00:34 pm »

Which is the textbook definition of “documentary.” There is no story, no ambiguity... just one nice bubble butt.

RSL

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 06:48:29 pm »

You're probably right, Slobodan. I guess it's just that I was getting tired of pictures of a person on a street.

Two23

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 01:38:42 am »

Yep, the lifestyle does look crappy. Maybe the bikes are expensive, but the people who own them don't do themselves any favours. I guess it may be slumming on the Amex card.

While I used to race off road motorcylces (motocross, enduros, grand prix,) that's a different crowd entirely from what's at Sturgis.  When I went to Sturgis ten and fifteen years ago it was generally a pretty rough crowd.  My state has a low population (under 900K) so there are relatively few police.  When an additional 500K people show up and concentrate in one place (drinking copious quantities of alcohol)  the police were stretched very thin.  In years past it was the rougher element that came, and they could be dangerous.  The place was also overrun with whores, sometimes on the street topless!  Then one year several people were stabbed and one was shot.  I was very careful to not piss anyone off, and generally carried a small pistol (just in case.)  After that especially violent year the governor brought in many more police and the "bad element" was run off.  What is now left is a sort of costume party on a grand scale--people with expensive bikes show up all dressed up in black leather, drink beer and strut around for a few days, then go back home and turn back into accountants and personnel administrators. ;D   I no longer carry a gun--there's a highway patrolman on every corner!  There are still plenty of whores though.  They've learned how to skirt the law to some extent.  While I was walking around and took the above photo, I had several approach me.  One asked if I was looking for a little fun.  I replied, "Maybe, but doesn't a little fun cost a lot of money?"  She replied she didn't ask for money, but will take donations.  :D  I replied, "Hmm.  Maybe we can work something out.  Got change for a dollar?" :D :) :D  She left in a huff.  Anyway, while there are still some genuine "hard core" bikers that show up, it's mostly the "wannabees."  And, they are getting older and older.  There doesn't seem to be many young replacements showing up.  In a few years I wonder if they'll be riding around Sturgis in little battery operated power scooters. :)    Until then, it is world class spectacle and something to see.  It's sort of like watching the migration of the wildebeests.

Kent in SD

Below photo:
"Hello dude!  Like my butt?"

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:45:50 am by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 03:59:30 am »

God, that must be uncomfortable to wear!

;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up