Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is ETTR still worth it?  (Read 13497 times)

Garnick

Re: Is ETTR still worth it?
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2018, 12:00:32 pm »

If a word or a phrase is used wrongly by enough people for long enough time, it becomes right.

I couldn't have said it better.  Well, perhaps differently, but only Rand would be able to decipher it  ;)

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2018, 04:05:27 pm »

If a word or a phrase is used wrongly by enough people for long enough time, it becomes right.
"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." -Bertrand Russel
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2018, 05:02:52 pm »

"If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." -Bertrand Russel

"If fifty million people say Bertrand Russel said something, it does not make it so."  Anatole France.   :)

Garnick

« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2018, 05:30:48 pm »

"If fifty million people say Bertrand Russel said something, it does not make it so."  Anatole France.   :)

WOOOOOOW!  What have I started?  My sincere apologies.  And if fifty million more people believe I'm not sincere, they are dreadfully mistaken!  Therefore, I wash my hands of this from this moment forward.  Take it where you wish. 

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Doug Gray

« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2018, 05:34:21 pm »

"Facts are stubborn things."* Unlike words where meanings can evolve over time.

This quote was from John Adams when he was defending the British soldiers who were on trial subsequent to the "Boston Massacre."  That didn't exactly make him popular amongst the people at the time.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2018, 06:59:13 pm »

"Facts are stubborn things."* Unlike words where meanings can evolve over time.

This quote was from John Adams when he was defending the British soldiers who were on trial subsequent to the "Boston Massacre."  That didn't exactly make him popular amongst the people at the time.

That was our 2nd President.  We have come a long way to the 45th who knows a thing or two about of power of repeating "facts."

(My last OT post.)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2018, 06:14:33 am »

I would care about any clipping. Smart histograms can indicate what colour is being clipped. And there is no reason why these options should be mutually exclusive - one can have both blinkies and a raw histogram - why not?

What I really miss from switching from my Canon to Sony it was that in the Canon I could install MagicLantern and have a real RAW histogram + Zebras. They were color zebras, so you could easily see which color channel or channels were overexposed and which areas of the image.

Camera manufacturers are just lazy... if a group of hackers was able to implement this in my old Canon 5D Mark II... they don’t do it in actual cameras because they don’t want... there is no other excuse...

http://dgpfotografia.com

Rand47

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2018, 10:44:08 am »

This is objectively true in my view, so “+1”.... but we are living in an age where nothing is seen as objectively true.  Postmodernism has changed the landscape (mostly sloping downward and a bit slippery).

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mosccol

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2018, 05:11:35 pm »

You ain’t gettin’ off that easy.  As you say, language is fluid.  So word meanings drift, phrases get truncated in some way or other.  You know, like, OMG, “Him and me went to the mall.” 

But on a more serious note, there’s something else often expressed in the shift/drift/fluidity of language over time.  Philosophy.  Let’s take the “proof” being “in the eating” in the first instance.  The end product of some venture, the quality of it, is subject to evaluation and judgement by a value laden human agent.  The “aptness/truth” of the saying hangs upon an assumption that good pudding is obvious to the “average person” as a value judgement, a consensus.  This philosophical position sees the necessity for both process and agency as an adequate explanation for “the good ness (or not) of pudding.”  There are much deeper philosophical/worldview overtones, but we can leave those for now.

Now, “the proof is in the pudding” is another kettle of fish altogether.   The “proof” no longer needs any kind of agent to provide a value laden, and one might say ‘personal’ determination of pudding-goodness.  No, this version says the proof is in the pudding itself, independent of any kind of agent making an evaluation.  The goodness of the pudding is only determinable from the pudding itself, presumably the chemical makeup and characteristics of the pudding.  This shift in the phrase is HUGE and reflects the shift toward a materialist/naturalist/reductionist philosophical frame.

Ah well, despite having lived in London for 30 years I still think that most traditional puddings (plum pudding, Christmas pudding and, of course, the unique Spotted Dick) are pretty revolting. So for me the proof of the pudding is in choosing some more refined patisserie...  ;)
Canon 7 & L Glass + iPhone 6 ... Where n

Doug Gray

« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2018, 05:47:59 pm »

Ah well, despite having lived in London for 30 years I still think that most traditional puddings (plum pudding, Christmas pudding and, of course, the unique Spotted Dick) are pretty revolting. So for me the proof of the pudding is in choosing some more refined patisserie...  ;)
Ah, us Colonists need to learn English :)  In the States, when you ask a colleague if they want you to knock them up in the morning, you get sued.

Roy Sletcher

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2018, 10:34:29 pm »

Ah, us Colonists need to learn English :)  In the States, when you ask a colleague if they want you to knock them up in the morning, you get sued.

...and not forgetting that in North America a "spotted dick" would be classified as a social disease.

Mosccol

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2018, 09:26:16 am »

...and not forgetting that in North America a "spotted dick" would be classified as a social disease.

Which of course reminds me of one of my favourite watering holes in the City
Canon 7 & L Glass + iPhone 6 ... Where n

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2018, 06:36:48 pm »

What I would like to get:
- raw histogram only
- normal exposure mode attempting to render a neutral grey 18% card at the correct level of brightness in the scene
- configurable ETTR exposure mode attempting to expose to avoid clipping the highlights of either the worst channel of the average of the 3 channels with an average computed based on the ability of the actual raw converter I use to extrapolate highlight recovery

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up