Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Real Street  (Read 3299 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Real Street
« on: May 17, 2018, 01:53:40 pm »

You might notice once again that there's no street in this picture.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
Re: Real Street
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 01:58:19 pm »

Nice one.

And why I’m not that fond of the “street” name.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 03:49:25 pm »

But why use "street" as the box, when it is obviously "candid", where one can include or not include a real street? A better box already exists, so why not utilise it?

:-)

Rob
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:42:38 pm by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 04:53:42 pm »

But why use"street" as the box, when it is obviously "candid", where one can include or not include a real street? A better box already exists, so why not utilise it?

Rob
+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 05:35:01 pm »

Russ, the only Nobel-prize winner in Serbian language, Ivo Andrić, once gave this advice to young writers:

Don’t say ‘I am going to tell you a funny story.’ Tell them ‘I am going to tell you a story’ and let them decide if it is funny.

Apropos the “real” in the title  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:45:18 pm »

Russ, the only Nobel-prize winner in Serbian language, Ivo Andrić, once gave this advice to young writers:

Don’t say ‘I am going to tell you a funny story.’ Tell them ‘I am going to tell you a story’ and let them decide if it is funny.

Apropos the “real” in the title  ;)

But did he realise that even then, they would not be of unanimous opinion?

RSL

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 05:50:42 pm »

Study The Decisive Moment and The Americans to understand what street is.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 07:38:35 pm »

Study The Decisive Moment and The Americans to understand what street is.

In addition to these two classic books, there is a remarkable resource at the U.S. National Gallery of Art in Washington: Frank's contact sheets.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:21:13 pm by Chris Kern »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 04:22:46 am »

But why use "street" as the box, when it is obviously "candid", where one can include or not include a real street? A better box already exists, so why not utilise it?

Rob

Agreed. It would be a simple matter to rename the Street Showcase to something more inclusive. I could certainly see your Glimpsed Parallels and other series within a more inclusive Showcase.

RSL

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 06:59:34 am »

In addition to these two classic books, there is a remarkable resource at the U.S. National Gallery of Art in Washington: Frank's contact sheets.

Absolutely, Chris. There's also Looking In: Robert Frank's The Americans, Expanded Edition, which has the contact sheets for the pictures included in The Americans.

And as far as using "street" to describe street photography. I wish we had a better term, but unfortunately it's too late. The main problem with the damned term is that people don't bother to learn what it really means, so they think that if there's a street in their picture, it's street. Check this whole section to see what I mean. "Oh boy. Street! I have a couple pictures with streets in them. I'll post 'em here."

RSL

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 07:36:20 am »

Agreed. It would be a simple matter to rename the Street Showcase to something more inclusive. I could certainly see your Glimpsed Parallels and other series within a more inclusive Showcase.

Yes. And we could rename landscape to "portraiture" if we wanted to. We could rename anything to anything, but it wouldn't solve the problem. Like it or not, street has been named by the people who picked up Barnak's beautiful machine that could capture the transience of society and unposed relationships between people and people and their environment. Instead of trying to rename it, it would be more worthwhile to learn what it is.

KLaban

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 07:56:18 am »

Yes. And we could rename landscape to "portraiture" if we wanted to. We could rename anything to anything, but it wouldn't solve the problem. Like it or not, street has been named by the people who picked up Barnak's beautiful machine that could capture the transience of society and unposed relationships between people and people and their environment. Instead of trying to rename it, it would be more worthwhile to learn what it is.

...or what you believe it to be or would like it to be.

Perhaps you should consider putting yourself forward as a one man selection panel for the Street Showcase?

RSL

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 09:00:04 am »

...or what you believe it to be or would like it to be.

It's pretty obvious you haven't read the seminal books that define street. Had you done that you'd realize it has nothing to do with "what I believe it to be or would like it to be." It is what it is, and the sources I mentioned are the ones who've shown the world what it is. You can ignore that if you want to, but, of course, you can ignore anything that runs counter to your beliefs or your level of knowledge.

KLaban

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 09:57:18 am »

It's pretty obvious you haven't read the seminal books that define street. Had you done that you'd realize it has nothing to do with "what I believe it to be or would like it to be." It is what it is, and the sources I mentioned are the ones who've shown the world what it is. You can ignore that if you want to, but, of course, you can ignore anything that runs counter to your beliefs or your level of knowledge.

As can you.

RSL

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 10:04:29 am »

As can you.

Actually, I can't ignore the books that define street, Keith. They're all right there on my bookshelves and I've studied them all. At the moment I'm back into American Photographs, The Americans, and Core Curriculum, all of which you should read before you express an opinion on street photography.

KLaban

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 10:17:21 am »

Actually, I can't ignore the books that define street, Keith. They're all right there on my bookshelves and I've studied them all. At the moment I'm back into American Photographs, The Americans, and Core Curriculum, all of which you should read before you express an opinion on street photography.

My interest regarding Street has little if anything to do with any implied ground rules based on the examples of the forerunners of the genre and everything to do with viewing the work - including that of contributors to LuLa - of an exciting body of contemporary photography. If that in your eyes makes me a lesser being or photographer then I'll just have to live with it.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 10:29:20 am »

You all realize that this argument is about labels and branding...All that I care about is what the picture looks like and what it's about, period. Artist's abhor branding. That is what Art Historians, Curators and Dealers are for.

Peter

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 10:33:43 am »

Is that Schewe playing a guitar?

BobDavid

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 10:37:35 am »

You all realize that this argument is about labels and branding...All that I care about is what the picture looks like and what it's about, period. Artist's abhor branding. That is what Art Historians, Curators and Dealers are for.

Peter

There are tons of genres for painting, sculpture, and illustration. Painting: 1) Impressionism; 2) Cubist; 3) Color field; 4) Social realism; 5) Realism; 6) Abstract; 7) Non-objective; 8) Op art; 9) Pop art; 10) Pre-Renaissance Christian; 11) Asian art (broad category that includes unique attributes of dynasties and countries; and more.

KLaban

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 12:13:46 pm »

Peter

Yes!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up