Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request for RAW files - views?  (Read 2378 times)

Dinarius

Request for RAW files - views?
« on: May 15, 2018, 06:51:31 am »

I've just completed a shoot of art documentation and interiors for a book.

Originally, I was asked (verbally) to provide TIFFs and Jpegs. The contract I've just been sent to sign (I won't go into why the contract wasn't signed before the shoot; but, I don't have a problem with it as I still have the files, they have nothing) asks for RAW files to be included, along with TIFFs and Jpegs.

Since the shoot comprises over 90% photographs of fine art in a gallery, they have zero resale value to me. They are only of use to the artist and the book publisher. So, I'll probably just agree to give them a set of RAWs also.

But, I'm just curious about attitudes to RAW files.

Do you ever receive requests for them?

What's your view about releasing them?

Thanks.

D.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Request for RAW files - views?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 08:43:51 am »

Sometimes, yes.

In this case, they probably need the raw files to tweak to their specs since it sounds like fine-art reproduction and there may be some "special sauce" they can use to fine-tune the files that the jpeg and tiff files may not have.

The tiff/jpeg files are probably fine for FPO (for position only), thus fulfilling the initial layout and design.

In this case, I'd say no big deal to let them have the raw and work with them.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:44:30 am »

I think that I'd ask them why they need the RAW files. As a businessman, I'd put a premium on the files and negotiate a bonus for them. Why didn't you obtain a signed Estimate before confirming the project?

Dinarius

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:32:55 am »

I think that I'd ask them why they need the RAW files. As a businessman, I'd put a premium on the files and negotiate a bonus for them. Why didn't you obtain a signed Estimate before confirming the project?

The fee for the shoot was agreed beforehand; I’m happy with it.

The request for RAWs, in addition to Tiff and JPEG, only appeared in the contract.

I guess I could ask for extra for the RAW files, but since they are of no future value (unlike, say, a food shot or a landscape) and since I’d like to work for them again....

D.

Endeavour

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 11:57:16 am »

... and since I’d like to work for them again....

D.
this is the important point, you want to appear flexible but not sell yourself short

personally. I would give them the raws, and at the same time make it clear that this is usually an extra cost option which will get factored in on any subsequent shoots, if they want those raws

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:34:49 am »

I give raws  to clients that I know. I make sure they know what to do with them first. I shoot catalogues. It’s hardly art. I take the money and move on.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Dinarius

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:20:36 am »

Thanks for the replies.

One of the reasons I asked is that I store all RAWs, going back to 2005, in multiple locations.

I don't store TIFFs or Jpegs for two reasons; 1. Space - it's cheaper to store a RAW than a TIFF. 2. A RAW  processed on 2018 software will almost certainly be better than a RAW processed on, say, 2010 software.

There is no cost to the client for this backup service.

But, clients do screw up. Files are lost or corrupted or, quite often I find, edited and not saved as copies, so my original edit is lost.

Whatever the reason, they occasionally come looking for a file(s) and they pay for the newly created/edited TIFF/Jpeg.

Hence my question.

Thanks again.

D.

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 10:29:26 am »

Why would you not keep an edited TIFF file? I keep all RAW files and any edited image from a shoot. I certainly wouldn't want to perform a task twice if it wasn't necessary.

Dinarius

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 11:11:56 am »

Why would you not keep an edited TIFF file? I keep all RAW files and any edited image from a shoot. I certainly wouldn't want to perform a task twice if it wasn't necessary.

You obviously haven’t read my last post.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up