Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What qualifies?  (Read 1447 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
What qualifies?
« on: May 14, 2018, 09:15:25 am »

I even converted to gray scale to make them more "streetish" ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: What qualifies?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:56:34 am »

A good set, David.
And I like the term "streetish." It feels less confining than "street," which has been generating squabbles that seem to be moving in the direction of the climate change threads.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 11:00:20 am »

Hey, streetish gets my vote.

;-)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 11:06:40 am »

Hi David, A good street shot in B&W isn't any more streetish than a good street shot in color.

A good street shot needs a story. Now, the story can be that a woman is sitting in a pew viewing an icon, or that a dog's gnawing at an icy fence, or that a woman is writing on a menu board with chalk. But the real question is: how interesting are these stories? Is there a hidden, ambiguous element in the stories that forces the viewer to get involved and try to grasp the meaning? These are questions that point toward the likely impact the stories will have on the viewer, and therefore a measure of the value a critic might assign the shots as effective street.

Color is another question altogether. As far as I'm concerned, one of the most important strengths of a good street shot is the graphics. If the graphics are important enough, the shot's probably going to show better in B&W. On the other hand sometimes the picture's simply not complete without color. But that brings you to the fact that a photographer, unlike a painter, can't really control color. Some colors advance. Some colors retreat. If the colors in your picture advance where they should and retreat where they should, you've got it made. If not, B&W probably is a better bet. Even when the colors work properly B&W sometimes is a better bet because it strengthens the graphics.

So, having said that, I'll shut up and let you draw your own conclusions about what qualifies. Actually, anything "qualifies" if you say it does. But that statement doesn't address the question of how well it qualifies.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:53:17 pm »

A good set, David.
And I like the term "streetish." It feels less confining than "street," which has been generating squabbles that seem to be moving in the direction of the climate change threads.

No, no, Eric!

It's been settled right at the start with Mr Klein's book. Anyone who fails to grasp the visual message therein simply fails to understand the concept.

Streetish is the photographic equivalent of a light case of pregnancy.

What remains to be settled is what the hell to call work along the Leiter road, which is anything but in your face; lighter street perhaps? It's where my own interest seems to attract me to venture. As there are not always people in the shot, it can't be hard street, can it?

This new box promises to solve a lot of international definition failures.

:-)

Two23

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:01:47 pm »

Hi David, A good street shot in B&W isn't any more streetish than a good street shot in color.

While both color and b&w work of course, the b&w image is more classic I think.  I also think it's harder to pull off a good b&w photo than a color one.  Sometimes color is a crutch, not a contribution.  My own opinion, of course.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 07:07:55 am »

Well, there certainly is ambiguity in the third: is that a D-size pointy bra or a menu?

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 07:41:43 am »

Well, there certainly is ambiguity in the third: is that a D-size pointy bra or a menu?

That was my original, optimistic take too!

Sometimes small, as in thumbnail, is better.

Rob

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 12:41:38 pm »

Slobodan, a menu, alas. Get it? A lass?
Rob, notice the title: I'll Have a Heinie. "Heinie" is what some of us call a Heineken beer, a heinie is also a fanny. I suppose irony doesn't count in street-ish ;)
Kent, I agree though I must also confess I also didn't "work" on the B&W renderings, just LR canned. The color versions are better IMHO.
All, I was just trying to inject a little humor and as usual a little ineffectively!

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 12:48:35 pm »

Slobodan, a menu, alas. Get it? A lass?
Rob, notice the title: I'll Have a Heinie. "Heinie" is what some of us call a Heineken beer, a heinie is also a fanny. I suppose irony doesn't count in street-ish ;)
Kent, I agree though I must also confess I also didn't "work" on the B&W renderings, just LR canned. The color versions are better IMHO.
All, I was just trying to inject a little humor and as usual a little ineffectively!

Live no learn: had never heard of the anthropomorphic version of Heineken, but were they not the ones who declared they could reach places others could not?
Pages: [1]   Go Up