Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article with Video with Sony Executives Just Published  (Read 7704 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: New Article with Video with Sony Executives Just Published
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 07:54:31 pm »

Frodo, if you knew me you would know I’m not all about technology. I’m about taking photos, making prints and havin fun doing it.  Maybe you should go back and look at the many articles about the craft of photography.  You can view several years of my images in the galleries. 

None of this could happen without technology and the cameras we use today.  Michael and I both embraced technology and we both loved to shoot together.   Craft articles out number technical articles on this site. 

Watch my article and video tomorrow. Maybe you’ll get a better idea of where I stand on things.

Guillermo.. .  Many people have asked and Sony knows we want RAW histograms.  We want better menus and a number of other things. Many SONY reps especially from Japan taking notes during Kando. 

No we wait and see what they do. I remain optimistic.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 08:01:08 pm »

Thanks Kevin, crossed fingers to that.

Regards

Frodo

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 08:29:53 pm »

Frodo, if you knew me you would know I’m not all about technology. I’m about taking photos, making prints and havin fun doing it.  Maybe you should go back and look at the many articles about the craft of photography.  You can view several years of my images in the galleries.  .

Hey Kevin, this was never meant to be personal and I'm sorry if my initial post was abrupt - I tried to correct it straight after posting.

I really appreciate all the effort you put into the site.  I've just perceived a shift in direction and I'm very happy to be wrong!

loganross

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 01:27:09 am »

Hello,
I was wondering if there was any discussion about Sony's plan for apsc cropped sensor? While I think the a7 series is impressive, I prefer not to have bigger lenses.

Thank you and best wishes for your mom.

fredjeang2

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 06:02:15 am »

Hello,
I was wondering if there was any discussion about Sony's plan for apsc cropped sensor? While I think the a7 series is impressive, I prefer not to have bigger lenses.

Thank you and best wishes for your mom.
I''m interested too in Sony's intentions for APSC because they complete very well the ff for urban photography
And travels.
They pushed a lot, understandably, the ff line but their smaller sensor cameras seem to go slower.
However the 6300/6500 are high performances little cameras that can fit in my everyday's baise-en-ville,
So they are always with me.
Nota: baise-en-ville is a french construction for men's urban bag, not like a photo bag.

TommyWeir

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 06:36:28 am »

Thinking of you Kevin with your mom in hospice.  Not an easy time.

ramd41@gmail.com

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 11:32:21 pm »

Kevin - It's your site and, of course, you can do as you wish.  I do appreciate the fact that you still occasionally do something with the newest medium format cameras, which virtually no one else does.  I will say, however (you knew a "but" or "however" was coming LOL), that the two recent videos on Kando and defending your position on Sony were a bit much for my taste.  If I heard one more time in the two videos about the 20 frames per second on the A9 (you must have repeated it 4 or 5 times as if that was the only important innovation in the last 5 years), I was going to lose my lunch.  And for you to say no one else is doing anything - particularly Nikon and Canon - is simply not accurate.  As you are well aware Nikon's D850, which has features the a7r III doesn't have, and vice versa, was as feted by critics as the A7R III.  No, it's not mirrorless.  But for my hands, the Sonys aren't thus far comfortable in my hands.  The ergonomics just aren't there for me.  While the info off the sensor is great, IMO, they have a long way to go before they will become comfortable to shoot with.  And I'm glad your prodding Canikon to do get their act together.  While I think Nikon has produced some great cameras (D5, D500, D850) in a short period of time, they need to do more at the cutting edge. All I want to point out is that you are a bit over the top in your singular focus.  You may be exaggerating to make a point, but even that can go a bit too far.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2018, 07:18:31 am »

Rumor has it that we will see something APS-C this year.  Time will tell.  I imagine a souped-up a6500.  Maybe the a6700.  Many of us are also expecting an a7s version of the camera with even better low light sensitivity.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

jeremyrh

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2018, 02:30:25 am »

I made it about 10 seconds into the video - really - do "conversations" usually begin with rousing music and your friends' advertising slogan displayed over a glowing sunset???

Kevin - you went to Lisbon recently I believe - any chance of seeing your photographs from that trip? I'd very much like to see them, whatever camera was used.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2018, 07:10:52 am »

Jeremey,  As I mentioned a lot of travel projects Lisbon, Chicago and others in the works.  For over the last week I am focused on a family issue and have not been home.  I am posting what I can while dealing with things.  And, Portugal was shot with the FUJI X-H1. I would like nothing more than to be home writing and editing.  And, with all our videos we are trying hard to up the production values. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

stevesanacore

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2018, 08:56:58 am »

I did mention to the Sony executives in the video that the menus need fixing.  The main things mentioned in focus groups and such were a better more intuitive menu system (old news), fix the so-called star eater problems.  Many claim it isn't a problem.  Many wanted to have an intervalometer built into the camera as well as better connectivity to devices.  There were a lot of engineers at the event and they were busy taking notes.

Well that is good news! Let's hope they address the QC problem with their lenses too. I'll all in for Sony, but need more confidence in their lens QC.
We don't know what we don't know.

loganross

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 10:53:26 am »

Rumor has it that we will see something APS-C this year.  Time will tell.  I imagine a souped-up a6500.  Maybe the a6700.  Many of us are also expecting an a7s version of the camera with even better low light sensitivity.

Thanks Kevin. My question goes a little deeper.  One option, is that they just keep releasing incremental "souped-up" bodies to avoid the perception of abandoning the platform.  The other, is that they are truly dedicated to supporting it as a second platform, including evolving the body/battery/etc., and new/revised lenses.

Any indication?  Did they talk about it at all?

Thanks!

fredjeang2

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 01:09:50 pm »

Thanks Kevin. My question goes a little deeper.  One option, is that they just keep releasing incremental "souped-up" bodies to avoid the perception of abandoning the platform.  The other, is that they are truly dedicated to supporting it as a second platform, including evolving the body/battery/etc., and new/revised lenses.

Any indication?  Did they talk about it at all?

Thanks!
I live in a european capital city. And the current situation is that the FF newest released are out of stock and there is a waiting list. Glasses on the second hand market stores are not easy to pick.
It has been an absolute rush and the executives were not jokin when they
Talked about the fact that their chalenge is to being able to respond to the demand.
Considering this, it would not be surprizing if they put all their efforts in the FF area
And leave the apsc.

BJL

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 03:36:54 pm »

My question [about Sony's "APS-C" format system] goes a little deeper.  One option, is that they just keep releasing incremental "souped-up" bodies to avoid the perception of abandoning the platform.  The other, is that they are truly dedicated to supporting it as a second platform, including evolving the body/battery/etc., and new/revised lenses.
Indeed: this is the question and concern I have about every ILC system that has a "big brother" with which it can share lenses: Sony's two "APS-C" systems, Canon EF-S, Nikon DX, and not to forget Leica L. So Kevin, please try to put this question to every rep. of those camera makers that you get to interview!

Meanwhile, as a dedicated user of smaller format ILCs, I trust FujiFilm, Olympus and Panasonic far more to support the high end of their systems!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 08:53:18 am »

I have signed Guillermo's petition as I think this is technically worthwhile. At the same time, I raised a query there about the feasibility of doing this. I wonder what's involved, as I imagine some kind of other (than JPEG) in-camera rendering would be needed as the basis from which to construct the histogram.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 09:05:03 am »

While I think it interesting and useful to gather and disseminate the views of senior US-based Sony executives - and thank you Kevin for making that possible - it is perhaps at least as important to know what's on the minds of the company's most senior management in Japan. The particular reason for this here appears in this article, which suggests that Sony may be lessening its commitment to all hardware, including cameras, for financial reasons, i.e. the profit margin on hardware is said to be "razor thin", while it is said to be much more attractive in the non-hardware areas of their business conglomerate:

Sony reorientation

It wouldn't be the first time that great technology takes second place to profit margins. The real question for purchasers of these camera systems is how the change of company orientation will affect their commitment to the particular products of interest and the extent to which that could matter to those who invest in these cameras. Something to tuck into the back of the mind.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up